• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Lightroom (an all other Adobe Apps) freeze my mac to a kernel panic

New Here ,
Jul 26, 2021 Jul 26, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

After a small crash until an import, now its not possible to start lightroom classic 10.3 on mac big sur 11.4. 

- I deleted the prefs

- I created a new catalog

nothing helps it freeze on start up

I tested Photoshop and Illustrator and they don't work, too?! Acrobat starts

All Apps are up to date and my mac book is online over a hotspot on the camping side or or on the hot spot of my iphone.

Any ideas, all my work of the last days is unreachable.

TOPICS
macOS

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is almost always caused by hardware issues or operating system bugs, as stated at Wikipedia:

A panic may occur as a result of a hardware failure or a  software bug in the operating system.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

No, the other apps on the Mac book works fine

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Irrelevant, LrC is using some aspect of the hardware, or stressing the hardware, in ways that other applications are not.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

After a small crash

What caused the crash?

As you are getting Kernal errors, likely a hardware issue. Oh, it could be software, but you have multiple apps failing? Not sure what bit of code those Adobe apps share. And if software, that would be the OS (in which case, others would have the issue, nope), or a driver (well, MACOS, so the owner would not install a new driver, so nope), or just maybe, something new, But if that something new was LrC, then ithers would have it (so nope)

What external devices do you have connected? A smartphone (Android can be troublesome) a keyboard (non Apple perhaps), a WiFi dongle?

Perhaps time to visit the Tech Gurus at an Apple store.

Some support links:

https://support.apple.com/guide/mac-help/if-your-mac-restarts-and-a-message-appears-mchlp2890/mac

https://macpaw.com/how-to/fix-kernel-panic-on-macos

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Do you have a crash report?

Can another member assist? How to bring up the crash report?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, thankls a lot for your replys!

I've checked the MacBook with EtreCheckPro = NoProblems. A little bit low free space, but this doesn't fix the Problem.

If I start Photoshop the jumpiung icon in the dock freeze. 2 Minutes after that the screen is black and the "kernel-Screen" appears. No crash report etc.

No other drives are connected, I'm sitting on a camping side 😉

Final Cut works perfect, other apps also.

I'seem it's a generally pfoblem with the CC? Perhaps of the hotspot-internet?

The last two day it works with the same parameters without probems. 

It's a 2017 macbok with 16 GB Ramm an 500 GB SSD. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Try logging into another account (you may need to make one), still crashing? 

Try starting up in Safe mode (hold down Shift Key when booting), still crashing? 

You might want to try running a free utility like Onyx: still crashing? 

https://www.titanium-software.fr/en/onyx.html

Author “Color Management for Photographers" & "Photoshop CC Color Management/pluralsight"

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The problem is fixed 🙂

I started InDesign first and then Lightromm Classic and Photoshop witout problems?!

Lightroom splashes the update-screen with the new functions, perhaps it was a problem of the last update…

Thanks a lot!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've been having this issue for weeks. Brand new Imac (Big Sur 11.5-- no option to go to an older OS on a new comp, old comp completely dead)-- out of the box it has had problems. I've been on the phone with Apple so much and they won't let me return the computer becasue I am past the 14 days, but I was trying to resolve issues during that 14 days.

Lightroom Classic causes the same panic issue that you spoke of. I have reinstalled the operating system, safe mode, etc. Hours and hours of troubleshooting with Apple. They want me to wipe the computer clean and repeat the issue, but the issue is related to LR (and another issue I've had since I got this 6 weeks ago is that I can't make a time machine back up, so wiping this is not a good idea). They said the Time Machine backup was an issue with the OS and I'd have to wait, but they refuse to accept this as an issue of their own. I am a professional photographer and this has cost me at least 2 weeks of time over the 6 weeks I've had it.  I send reports about 10-15X a day because that is how often it freezes. How exactly did you fix this?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You may need to have the RAM tested, it could be a faulty module. 

Do you use Photoshop much and is it running OK?

Author “Color Management for Photographers" & "Photoshop CC Color Management/pluralsight"

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jul 27, 2021 Jul 27, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I had upgraded the machine to 128gb of RAM from the 8gb it came with. I kept the 8gb in for a couple of weeks because I couldn't make a time machine back up and had some apps randomly quitting. Did a crazy amount of trouble shooting with Apple. I installed the 128gb. Things seemed fine, but then LR started crashing the computer. I feel as though I've isolated it to LR. Photoshop does not crash, Bridge doesn't crash, just LR. I've been trying to render previews for 3 days now and I can't complete the task. Gave up after over 10 crashes yesterday. I put in the original ram to see if it works- instead of crashing the computer, everything runs super slow-- like can't even open up a web page without a huge lag-- and then eventually LR stops responding and I have to force quit. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

"another issue I've had since I got this 6 weeks ago is that I can't make a time machine back up"

Please  expand  upon that. How is Time Machine failing? Fairly sure Time Machine is part of the OS. Where are you trying to create the Time Machine backup at? Kerel Panic usually hardware related, vut can be in software, including OS, drivers, and sometimes but not likely applications. Problems in a copy of OS can cause Kernel Panics. 

https://support.apple.com/guide/mac-help/time-machine-troubleshooting-mh15653/mac

https://discussions.apple.com/thread/252482102

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jul 27, 2021 Jul 27, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

The time machine issue started day 1 out of the box in early June. It would just say it couldn't complete because of an error. Didn't specify. I tried a lot of different things- safe mode, recovery mode, reinstalled the OS, got a brand new drive, different wires, etc. I always had a separate Western Digital drive solely dedicated to Time Machine. Never had issues. Some attempts it would say there wasn't enough space, but it wasn't saving the settings I had so it thought it had to copy other drives. Finally got the settings to stick, it'd look like it was working and then an hour or so in I'd get the error again. It has also been changing the drive to Read-only. One time it said it completed it, but if you went in, it wasn't an actual backup.

I was on the phone yet again with Apple the other day, did some more stuff and it looks like it is working- I had reformatted the drive yet again, but now it is back to Read-only-- so if it is modfying the drive to read-only-- how is it writing copies? It is hard to know if these backsup are actually legit especially given the myriad of problems I have had with the computer out of the box.

I was assured while trying to work through the problems that given the history of the issues I've had, I could still return it, but they claim the Time Machine issue is an OS issue. However, I can't get LR to render previews without the computer crashing literally every 5 minutes if I am lucky. I even put the old ram in (only put in new ram a couple weeks ago) and instead of crashing the computer completely, LR just stops responding and I have to force quit and I get the 'send report to apple' box. If I try to edit, I might be able to make it 20 minutes if I'm lucky before the computer crashes. No issues with Photoshop or Bridge. I did previously have a lot of issues with apps crashing the first week I had the computer. The computer has been a mess and Apple says I need to wipe it clean (with no reliable time machine backup) and repeat the issue with no software, but the issue is now always with LR which I need to do my job and I keep getting the kernel panic reports which leads me to believe it is the computer. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines