Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Lightroom Auto Import importing too quickly

Community Beginner ,
Aug 01, 2022 Aug 01, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello, Classic Community!

I am experiencing an odd, intermittent (although more frequent than not) problem.  I'm shooting with a Canon EOS 90D using Canon's EOS Utility 3, with Auto Import turned on in Lightroom Classic on Windows 11.  (All version info below.)  I started noticing that Lightroom was showing my RAW and JPEG files next to each other in the grid view.  I do NOT have "Treat JPEG files next to raw files as separate photos" checked.

If I import from anywhere else, it behaves as expected (I only see one file, not the RAW and JPEG as separate files).  If I right-click on the folder and choose "Synchronize Folder...", it will let me "Remove missing photos from catalog" and it cleans everything up.

Watching the folder in Windows, it looks like the EOS utility writes the 8MB JPEG file fairly quickly (to SSD), but then takes a moment to write out the corresponding 37MB RAW file.  When watching this in Lightroom, I can see the JPG pop up, then a moment or two later the RAW file appears as well.

My theory: Lightroom is importing TOO quickly and not realizing that the RAW and JPG files are from the same shot.  It imports one, then imports the second, treating them separately.  My question: Assuming my theory is correct, is there a way to delay or otherwise convince Auto Import that the files are related?

Versions follow.  Thank you for your thoughts on this!

Jason...

Lightroom Classic: 11.4.1

Camera Raw: 14.4.1

EOS Utility 3: 3.15.0.11

EOS 90D Firmware: 1.1.1

Windows 11: 10.0.22000 Build 22000

System: Surface Pro 8, i7-1185G7, 16GB RAM, 250GB SSD

TOPICS
Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Aug 02, 2022 Aug 02, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Are you importing into LR from the Eos Utility?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Aug 04, 2022 Aug 04, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Yes, in as much as the EOS Utility is dropping files to a folder, and Lightroom's Auto Import is pointed at the same folder.  I do not have Lightroom listed as "Linked Software" in the EOS Utility.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines