• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Lightroom cannot import Live Photos / Mov files

Community Beginner ,
Jun 25, 2021 Jun 25, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I macOS Big Sur 11.4 and Lighroom CC 10.3.  

I have never had a problem before, but now Lightroom is not importing all photos properly.  It has moved all files into the folders I want, but the library only shows a portion of the images it moved.  I have called the help desk a few times, and they can not solve it either, and asked I post to the community.  

The only way I can get Lightroom to see the jpg files is to rename them and move their location.  With 5000+ files that doesn't seem like a good option for me.  Plus it will result in duplicates since they are already in the folders I want.  

Any help is most appreciated.  Thank you. 

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jun 26, 2021 Jun 26, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Just a thought, in Lightroom Classic there is an option "treat jpeg files next to raw files as separate images".
Do you have it selected or UN selected?

Regards, Denis: iMac 27” mid-2015, macOS 11.7.10 Big Sur; 2TB SSD, 24 GB Ram, GPU 2 GB; LrC 12.5, Lr 6.5, PS 24.7,; ACR 15.5,; Camera OM-D E-M1

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jun 27, 2021 Jun 27, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for the tip.  I have made that change for future imports.  Strange I have never needed to make that change in preferences ever before and have used Lightroom / iPhone for many years.  

Anyway this time to keep the process going I used the MacOS rename feature - gave every jpeg a new name and imported them again.  This time they came in.  This means I have thousands of duplicates, but I would rather that than miss some photos.  

So while not really solved, I will be keeping a closer eye on the imports going forward with this updated preference change.  Fingers crossed...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jun 27, 2021 Jun 27, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Initially if you were able to confirm that the jpeg's were in the same folder with the original raw files there should be no need to rename and import them. Simply select the folder in Lightroom Classic Library module and right click and select "Sincronize folder" and the import screen should come up with the image files and click on the import button. The jpeg's will import with their original name alongside the raw files.

Regards, Denis: iMac 27” mid-2015, macOS 11.7.10 Big Sur; 2TB SSD, 24 GB Ram, GPU 2 GB; LrC 12.5, Lr 6.5, PS 24.7,; ACR 15.5,; Camera OM-D E-M1

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jul 06, 2021 Jul 06, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks.  I did try to synchronize the folders, but the synchronization process was completed and nothing changed.  I was still not able to import the photos that were not showing in library.  

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If they were previously imported with the setting "treat jpeg files next to ... as separate photos" turned off, they will not come in again after synchronizing the folder I think. There is no easy way to disassociate these files from their raw/heic partner except for renaming them. You can in principle manually edit the catalog file but that is not for the faint of heart and something to very strongly caution against.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I just imported another batch of photos, and it all worked as it had previously.  All photos / live movies are showing up after the import.  I am not sure what changed.  I did go into the preferences and selected the option to treat jpeg files next to raw files as separate images.  I had never had to do that before, but perhaps that preference option was changed during an update? Thanks for the help everyone.  For now it seems to be working again. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines