• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Lightroom cannot launch with this catalog. It is either on a network volume or on a volume on which

New Here ,
Aug 16, 2021 Aug 16, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have purchased a MAC having previously been using windows 10.  I have downloaded Lightroom Classic and when I go to open my catalog from my external hard drive I get the following message.

Lightroom cannot launch with this catalog. It is either on a network volume or on a volume on which Lightroom cannot save changes

Anyone know how to help?

{Moved from Lightroom Cloud to Lightroom Classic Forum by Moderator} 

TOPICS
macOS , Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Aug 17, 2021 Aug 17, 2021

Most likely you copied the catalog to an external drive that is NTSF formatted. MacOS can read those drives, but cannot write to it. That is what Lightroom is telling you: it cannot write to it. Copy the catalog folder to your internal drive and open it from there. That should solve it.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,
Aug 17, 2021 Aug 17, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Most likely you copied the catalog to an external drive that is NTSF formatted. MacOS can read those drives, but cannot write to it. That is what Lightroom is telling you: it cannot write to it. Copy the catalog folder to your internal drive and open it from there. That should solve it.

-- Johan W. Elzenga

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 24, 2021 Aug 24, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for the reply, It was a combination of the formatting and the fact I wasn't copying all the relevant files needed.  All sorted now though thank goodness.  Thought I was going to regret changing to a MAC lol.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Feb 23, 2022 Feb 23, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Since repeated attempts to search for solutions to this problem result in this discussion being just about the only thing even close - I will note the following:

I get the error noted on a Synology Network Share, using MacOS.  What is different - is that Lightroom CC WROTE the catalog and all the photos and data to the network location. In this case the local mounted reference is: "The catalog's location is /Volumes/Photos/[directory of catalog+photos]/filename same as directory].lrcat."

I have validated all the security issues related to the latest major and major.minor MacOS releases - to the point that I put the application in the "Full Disk Access" privacy category - and restarted the application.

I have not found a solution yet, but didn't want other people with my issue - to come up empty handed. This has to be some technical issue, because it would be astoundingly unthinkable for Adobe to prevent people from using network shares. 

"Lightroom cannot launch with this catalog. It is either on a network volume or on a volume on which Lightroom cannot save changes."

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@Michael23304689wmnj wrote:

Since repeated attempts to search for solutions to this problem result in this discussion being just about the only thing even close - I will note the following:

I get the error noted on a Synology Network Share, using MacOS.  What is different - is that Lightroom CC WROTE the catalog and all the photos and data to the network location. In this case the local mounted reference is: "The catalog's location is /Volumes/Photos/[directory of catalog+photos]/filename same as directory].lrcat."

I have validated all the security issues related to the latest major and major.minor MacOS releases - to the point that I put the application in the "Full Disk Access" privacy category - and restarted the application.

I have not found a solution yet, but didn't want other people with my issue - to come up empty handed. This has to be some technical issue, because it would be astoundingly unthinkable for Adobe to prevent people from using network shares. 

"Lightroom cannot launch with this catalog. It is either on a network volume or on a volume on which Lightroom cannot save changes."

The last sentence gives you your answer. Lightroom cannot use a catalog that is on a network volume. It has to be on a local volume. Adobe is not preventing people from using network shares however. Your images can be on a network share without any problems. Just the catalog can not be.

-- Johan W. Elzenga

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Johan - thank you for the quick response. It is appreciated.

Not trying to be a pain, but this cannot be true.  The default catalog itself is not on a local drive, the entire /Users/[home] is not on a local drive. Its not on the Synology, but is in an external exclosure.

Lets find an Adobe document which states that synology network drives are not supported.
--Michael

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Here you go: https://helpx.adobe.com/in/lightroom-classic/kb/catalog-faq-lightroom.html 

Rikk Flohr - Customer Advocacy: Adobe Photography Products

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines