• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Lightroom cannot use catalog because it is not writable...

New Here ,
Jul 14, 2022 Jul 14, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Mac OS 12.4 / LR 11.4.1

Ok.  So i had a computer failure, got a new computer and did a fresh install of all adobe apps.  Moved my LR catalog over and receive the error message 'lightroom cannot use the catalog names 'xyz' because it is not writable and cannot be opened.'

I removed the .lock file restarted and tried again, same error.  I changed the permissions to all the files, folder, and root folder so that everyone has permission (selecting file / folder hitting command + i and changing to read and write under sharing and permissions). Lighroom opens and can create a new catalog.  Kinda hit and wall and not sure where to go from here.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

TOPICS
macOS

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Please follow these instructions: https://community.adobe.com/t5/lightroom-classic-discussions/quick-tips-how-to-give-full-disk-access...

If that doesn't help, did you put the catalog file in the "Pictures" folder (or whatever the Mac equivalent is)? What folder did you put it in? What is the file system format used on this disk (APFS, FAT, other)?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Just gave Full Disk Access to LR and will restart once it's done copying the quite large catalog to my Pictures folder.  Thanks for the suggestions, will update soon!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Giving LR full disk access + moving to picutres folder did not work, unfortuately.  Thank you for the tip regardless.  Both the external SSD (where is was stored) and the internal SSD (where i copied it to) are using APFS.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Could you try putting the catalog on another disk to see if it will open?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've placed it on an external SSD with full permissions and there is no .lock file.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Go to "the internal SSD (where i copied it to) are using APFS."

Try the following.

Locate the Lightroom Classic Catalog file, it will have an extension .lrcat (LRCAT) make sure there is no LOCK file next to it, and double click on the Catalog file and Lightroom should boot.

Regards, Denis: iMac 27” mid-2015, macOS 11.7.10 Big Sur; 2TB SSD, 24 GB Ram, GPU 2 GB; LrC 12.5, Lr 6.5, PS 24.7,; ACR 15.5,; Camera OM-D E-M1

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Thank you for the suggestion, yes i have deleted the .lock file in previous trouble shooting attempts.  It has been placed on an external drive with full permissions and it is also placed under /user/pictures and all files/folders in that directory structure have access.  I've also given LR full disk access with in MacOS.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines