Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Lightroom cannot write to external disc on Mac

Community Beginner ,
May 01, 2020 May 01, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello:

I use Lightroom Classic, with the catalog and photos on an external disc.

Suddenly, Lightroom opened with a message, stating that it cannot write to the directory on that external disc.

What I did:

- Checked security and permisions: granted total disc access. And under files and folders, Lr Classic reads "total disc access".

- Performed a disc utility health check: everything looks fine

- After that, rebooted the computer

- No change...

Lightroom Classic version 9.2.1

Mac OS 10.15.4

External disc on ExFat, over 200 Gb free space

I would very much appreciate any help. Regards.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
May 01, 2020 May 01, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Granting read and write permission to the disk is not the same as grating read and write permission to the FOLDER where you are trying to export the photos to. You have to set the folder to write permission. Or choose a different folder where you already have write permission.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
May 02, 2020 May 02, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you for your kind help. 

I indeed have set full permission to the disk on the "Total access to disk" section of the security and privacy settings.

The other section, "files and folders", that I think you mean, does not give me the option to change anything, if the previous setting is full permission. The only way to grant access to folders here would be to deselect total disk access on the previous folder. In that case, the options appear: external disk, download folder, documents folder, etc.

This is really frustrating!

Thanks again and regards.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Important UPDATE:

The error message appeared every time I started Lr, when it tryied to sync photos (and write on disk to sync them).

What I did this time is to open de preferences and manualy selecting the folder for synced photos (the exact same folder again), and ...whoosh! Now it worked. 

Don´t ask me what happened or why this is now working, but it does.

Thanks anyway and hope this helps other people with this same migraine.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Apple Mac OS X is notorious for NOT connecting to external drives at the moment it starts up. It can take multiple seconds, 20-60 seconds, to minutes for it to See and Mount external drives.

If you start LR Classic the second you get to your desktop AND LR is trying to access an external drive you will get an error.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Mar 08, 2023 Mar 08, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

It's nice to see I'm not the only one losing my mind over this.  Adobe told me I needed to call the manufacturer of my external drive (Glyph) so they can grant permissions to read and write.  So much hassle and red tape.  Not quite sure I understand what you did.  Did you go to your catalog folder?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines