• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Lightroom Catalog Backup Problem

Community Beginner ,
Feb 13, 2022 Feb 13, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi. Can anyone please give me any advice? I am trying to restore backups of my old Lightroom Catalog files, everytime I double click the .zip file it creates a .zip.cpio file

I've also restored a couple more catalogs and they unzipped without any problems. I've gone through my archives and tried restoring backups going back over the last 5 years and get the same problem.

Can anyone help?

Thanks, Phil

TOPICS
macOS

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What software is associated with .zip files on your computer?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Feb 14, 2022 Feb 14, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for your help. Archive Utility is the default software, I was thinking of downloading another programme to try. I have five Catalogs as my Lightroom file was getting too big. After a problem with CCleaner which deleted Lightroom and my Catalogs I used my backup catalogs. Three of them unzipped without any problems and work fine, but two do not.

I'll try and download some other software, thanks again. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Copy the zip to an USB stick or similar and ask someone else to extract it. 

If you use an older version, specially if from an unzipped backup, which must be very old, you lose all your work done.

--- Got your issue resolved? Please label the response as 'Correct Answer' to help your fellow community members find a solution to similar problems. ---

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

As dj already suspected, it looks as if something is wrong with your zip-/un-zipper tool.

If you unzip the backup, you should then find an *.lrcat file (and more).

--- Got your issue resolved? Please label the response as 'Correct Answer' to help your fellow community members find a solution to similar problems. ---

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for your feedback. It unzipped 3 out of 5 Catalogs which work fine, one really important catalog wont unzip. I'll try didderent software. Thanks for your help.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Maybe you need to set an option differently in this Archive Utility program.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks, I've tried that but no joy.

I've just found a much older version of a .lcrat backup which isn't compressed, if it works will be a good start!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks, I've tried that but no joy.

By @Phil Jones Photography

If your software is producing .cpio files, there almost certainly are options to produce other types of files. And if not, the software is useless.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines