• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Lightroom Catalog is confusing

Explorer ,
Oct 24, 2022 Oct 24, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have been using Photoshop CS3 Extended for many years and took the plunge and signed up for the monthly subscription package. I now have the latest Photoshop, Lightroom Classic, Lightroom and Bridge.

I am coming to the conclusion that I may be better using Photoshop as my main editing app due to familiarity with the previous Old Photoshop.

Correct me if I am wrong. My understanding is that I can do all the editing and more in Photoshop without using Lightroom.

I have found the Catalogue facility confusing and that there is a shortage of Web info that addresses the latest Adobe software. What I would love to see is a diagrammatic representation as to how the Catalogue works in respect to my Hard Drives and what is displayed. It can be confusing eg when I delete a photo in my Catalogue is this deleting from my Hard Drive.

[Subject renamed by moderator for clarity. Was "NEW USER FEEDBACK".]

TOPICS
Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@paulh2915 wrote:

I have found the Catalogue facility confusing and that there is a shortage of Web info that addresses the latest Adobe software. What I would love to see is a diagrammatic representation as to how the Catalogue works in respect to my Hard Drives and what is displayed. It can be confusing eg when I delete a photo in my Catalogue is this deleting from my Hard Drive.

Hi Paul,

Since your question is about how the Catalog works in Lightroom, I have moved this from the Photoshop forum where you posted.

~ Jane

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

"am coming to the conclusion that I may be better using Photoshop as my main editing app due to familiarity with the previous Old Photoshop.

Correct me if I am wrong. My understanding is that I can do all the editing and more in Photoshop without using Lightroom."

Yes, if you want to then you can do all the editing in Photoshop. Lightroom and Photoshop use the same Camera Raw engine, so the edits are the same.

-- Johan W. Elzenga

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Lightroom Develop module equals Adobe Camera Raw. You can even bounce back and forth with the two if on version parity. 

What LR brings that ACR doesn't is a DAM (catalog, library) and multiple modules for getting work done. For example, if you do much printing, the Print module is worth the price of admission alone! 

Photoshop is a 'one image at a time' design. LR allows you to alter and deal with multiple, even hundreds of images at the same time. It is simply a different tool. 

Author “Color Management for Photographers" & "Photoshop CC Color Management/pluralsight"

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines