• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Lightroom Catalog issues

Participant ,
Jun 19, 2021 Jun 19, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Working on new M1 MBA. Today, had created three virtual copies and sent to Photoshop as layers, and fixed up a photo. I saved the resulting .psd file in a Project photo folder, then imported it into LR. Then things got odd. File structure: Desktop contains folder Do not sync which has subfolders in LR and contains 1631 photos. It contains a folder called In Work to which I always upload photos for evaluation, then move them to appropriate Photographs folder. Desktop contains folder Photographs which has subfolders organized by year and contains 14767 photos. Desktop contains folder Video Organizer which has subfolders and contains 729 videos. All of these subfolders are part of LR structure. I enhanced a few photos over the past week or so and I couldn't find them. The LR Catalog now shows a second In Work folder in the LR Folders list. Showing it in Finder shows it to be the subfolder to Do Not Sync. Selecting the 7 photos in this folder and dragging them into the other In Work folder produces the error message: "File already exists at the destination" although the destination folder in its normal place is empty. The LR Catalog now shows a second Photographs Folder. Showing in Finder shows it is the same Photographs folder as above. It contains two year subfolders: 2002 and 2003, each containing 1 enhanced photo I had enhanced today. Attempting to move these to the folder listed above produced the same File already exists at the destination error.

I read a suggestion to open LR with the Option Key held and was surprised to find two Catalogs: One is in /Users/Dan/Pictures/Lightroom and the other is in /Users/dan/Pictures/Lightroom (note that Dan is capitalized in one but not the other). I don't believe that difference is meaningful to MacOS. I created a new catalog and imported one of these. It shows 17169 photos but contains the same duplicate folders. I went back to a backup on June 6 and loaded that. While it seemed to load OK, when I clicked on synchronize for each major folder, it said it would delete all the photos and import the same number of new ones. After doing all of these, I discovered that all my Collections were gone (because everything is newly imported). So, something's not right. Would appreciate any suggestions. Thanks!

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I likely left out the most useful info. I set up this computer using a clean install. I copied over the photos and the catalog components and it has been working fine. BUT, my user account on this computer is "dan" and on the older computer was "Dan" - apparently LR folder logic is case sensitive sometimes (like when it checks to see if it know about the file) and case insensitive sometimes (like when it attempts to copy a file into a folder). I suspect the cure might be as simple as renaming my user account to Dan (although I don't know if that's allowed). I ran a test on one folder of 7 photos. Synchronize identifies all 7 as not found and 7 new ones found. 

I'm gonna sit on my hands for a bit and wait for the experts.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Me again. I didn't recall where I wrote down the error that appeared somewhere today. Here it is, and it is what gave me the idea there was something wrong with the catalog:

Database "/Users/dan/Pictures/Lightroom/Lightroom Catalog-2-2-v10.lrcat": UNIQUE constraint failed: AgLibraryFolder.rootFolder, AgLibraryFolder.pathFromRoot

Statement: UPDATE AgLibraryFolder SET rootFolder = ?,pathFromRoot = ? WHERE id_local = ?; (error code 19)

Hope that makes sense.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

On the hard drive the catalog is on, that is the catalog, not the program, not the photos. How much free space in percent. That is % not GB, etc. Needs to be 30% or better (some used to say 25%)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Jun 20, 2021 Jun 20, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for the tip. Hard drive is 54% free 551GB available. I'm thinking this issue is just about having the first letter of my User account being lower case.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is the infamous 'capitalisation problem'. You asked this in the feedback forums too, and you were given the correct answer to deal with it there.

-- Johan W. Elzenga

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Thanks, Johan. Was unaware if Adobe monitored.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines