• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Lightroom causes CPU frequenzy to idle around 1 GHZ, slow mac ?????? MBP 2018

New Here ,
May 23, 2021 May 23, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

hello guys, everytime i use Lightroom classic after some time my whole macbook becomes unresponsive, and i see that the cpu frequency hovers around 1ghz, everything is super slow.

once i close lr my mac becomes responsive again....

this is clearly an issue with lr and i reinstalled my mac a few times now...

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Most likely this is due to clogged or broken fans in the Macbook.  LR uses much more of the CPU and GPU than typical apps (even games), which causes the CPU and GPU to heat up. If the fans aren't working properly, then the CPU will reduce its clock speed until it cools down.

You can try cleaning the fans yourself or take it an authorized repair center.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The temperature doesn't seem to be rising though... being at about 56 and I'm in a air conditioned room....

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If that was true a cpu benchmark like cinebench should have the same effect correct? Let me check...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

There was a firmware bug with CPU-throttling in 2018 Macbook Pros -- verify that you've updated at least to 10.13.6:

https://9to5mac.com/2018/07/24/apple-releases-2018-macbook-pro-update-to-fix-cpu-throttling-thermal-... 

Other than using a lot of CPU and GPU, there is nothing LR can do to cause the CPU to throttle.  Your screenshot shows sustained CPU utilization above 80%. You can see if LR is indexing faces or building previews (the two most common causes of sustained high utilization) by clicking on the identity plate in the upper-left corner:

johnrellis_0-1621822293413.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm on the latest macOS and should get firmware updates automatically????

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So ya that bug should not be the issue. I have litterally just made a few adjustments for 5 min if scrolling and adjusting images in Lightroom. 

i du have to say that I don't hear the fans spinning up really loud at all but they are def spinning.

Lightroom is unbearable to work with after 5-10 min....

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
May 24, 2021 May 24, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Did you click the Identity Plate to see if LR was indexing faces or building previews in background?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines