Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Lightroom Classic 10.1 freezes and crashes my computer

Explorer ,
Dec 08, 2020 Dec 08, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi all, 

Since version 10 I have had to disable the use of the GPU in LR classic. It has been unusable, I was getting the spinning wheel all the time when editing, moving sliders, using the clone tool, etc. when the GPU was enabled. Lightroom was too slow to react and so I disabled it and kept working, hoping the next version will fix it...

Today, version 10.1 came out - I updated and re-enabled the GPU hoping that issue was fixed. But, it's actually much much worse now, when trying to move/drag sliders around it will cause my computer to freeze to a point I have to turn it off and on again, I can't even force quit the app or anything like that.

I realize I have an older GPU, but I had zero issues with versions 9 and earlier.

Any advice, ideas, anyone else seeing this too?

It's my work so very important to have it back up sooner than later, I hope.

Thanks!

I am on macOS Mojave 10.14.6 

GPU is Gigabyte R9 280X

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
replies 147 Replies 147
New Here ,
Dec 09, 2020 Dec 09, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am having the same issue!  I updated and now it keeps crashing my computer.  I tried to go back but then I can't get my most recent catalogue and I have work to get out.  I'm so fruststrated and I used an Imac that has plenty of memory and is fast.  

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have problems too ! Computer crashes, pictures turn all green, computer freeze etc...

Mac OS Big Sur 11.0.1

32 ram

Imac 27

3.2 GHz Quad-Core Intel Core i5

AMD Radeon R9 M380 2 GB

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I also had the green pixelated broken image happened to me. And then freeze and having to reset the computer.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Same issue...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Dec 29, 2020 Dec 29, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Pierre, I have almost the exact same computer (except a Radeon M390)  same exact problems.. making Lightroom Classic  unusable.

I completely clean reinstalled the Mac OS on a fast SSD thinking it was a problem with the old drive lagging. I've also deleted and reinstalled Lightroom Classic...... again with zero improvement.

Turning off the use of the graphics processor in Lightroom preferences stops the freezes and green screen breakup, but lag time between adjusting a develop setting and seeing it appear on screen is super slow...

If this wasn't a week when none of my clients are at work, this would be a disaster for me.

I hope the Adobe Lightroom engineers come back soon from their holidays to fix this.....

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

OMG... I am experiencing the same issue.  I have an iMac 27" retina display 32gig Ram.  Not sure of the GPU card or the OS at this current moment, but its the exact same problem.   I was wondering if my graphics card was going bad, but I seem to be able to run Photoshop and all my other programs Is Adobe going to do something about this???

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Nanci,  Adobe has had trouble with Radeon GPU cards on and off over the past few years, but I can only recall experiencing minor issues in Photoshop previously. I'm trying to extend the life of my 27" iMac until Apple comes out with new Apple silicon CPU 27" iMacs with good graphics cards...but those may be 6 months away. A solution from Adobe by early this January will be critical.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Everyone, i've got the same problems when i edit my pictures with this version 10.1 : computer is freezing, strange blocs appear on the screen (see screen captures).

I'm on Mac OS Big Sur 11.0.1

Imac 27 inches

16 Go Ram

AMD Radeon R9 M390 2 Go

3,2 GHz Intel Core i5 quatre cœurs

IMG_1320.jpg

IMG_1319 2.jpg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yeah, that's what it look like, same here.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Dec 11, 2020 Dec 11, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Same thing is happening to me when I try to crop. 

iMac 27 inches

16 GB 1867 MHz DDR3

AMD Radeon R9 M380 2 GB

3.2 GHz Intel Core i5

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm having the same issue with my iMac.  There was no CPU surge, still have 5GB RAMs available when the system crashed, and we are not talking about just Lightroom frozen, we are talking about my iMac just went dead, and I had to push the power button to do a hard shut-down. I've tried to uninstall then reinstall, but the problem persists.  Adobe better gets this fixed fast.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is no joke, pretty much the worst bug I have seen from any software in recent years as far as I can remember.

When a software forces us to hard reset the computer, it's a serious bug that need to be addressed as soon as possible!

Im taking to you Adobe Lightroom Team, yes.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I think the only sensible option that we can do now is to revert Lightroom to 10.0.  

Ironically, Adobe said 10.1 would fix the bugs, where in fact I was completely fine with 10.0, and now 10.1 is completely unusable.  What sorts of bugs did Adobe try to fix from 10.0?  Do they know how hard it is to crash the whole MacOS?  Yet, they managed to do it...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I actually also had issues with Lightroom 10, using the GPU would freeze and not very responsive, so I had to disable the GPU. but ver 10 didn't get to a point where it crashes the whole system, 10.1 bug is much more powerful it seems.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Dec 11, 2020 Dec 11, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm having the same issue.  I've tried installing and reinstalling LR as well.  I tried to revert to the previous version but it deleted the program completely.  

iMac 27 inches

16 GB 1867 MHz DDR3

AMD Radeon R9 M380 2 GB

3.2 GHz Intel Core i5

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have the same problem on my MacBook Pro. I have had to disable the GPU to be able to use Lightroom

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ja Leute, das selbe Problem, mir sagten sie ich solle auf 9.00 zurück...und was ist mit all den Ordner??? Ich habe 24GB speicher, aber der Mac hatte keine change: Habe noch nie so Probleme mit irgend einem Program gehabt. Nicht gut!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Tresed, What model is yoyur MBP? Radeon graphics too?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jan 04, 2021 Jan 04, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

AMD Radeon R9 M380 2 GB

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Same problem here. Mac freezes and have to do hard shut down.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've been letting Adobe control my computer for an hour and they keep crashing it.  I don't think they believe me that's it's the update 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ganz klar ist es das Update! Seit ich wieder auf 10.0 bin läuft es wieder!!!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Gar nicht gut, habe keine freude! Habe noch nie bei einem Program so krasse folgen gehabt, der Computer hatte keine chance!!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hallo, ich hatte das selbe problem. mit der  10.1 fing mein Mac an zu spinnen, nichts ging mehr. Das Lrc konnte ich noch öffnen, aber danach ging nichts mehr. Man sagte mir ich soll auf die Version 9.0 zurück!!?? Bin nun wieder auf 10.00 zurück!!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines