Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Lightroom Classic 10.1 freezes and crashes my computer

Explorer ,
Dec 08, 2020 Dec 08, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi all, 

Since version 10 I have had to disable the use of the GPU in LR classic. It has been unusable, I was getting the spinning wheel all the time when editing, moving sliders, using the clone tool, etc. when the GPU was enabled. Lightroom was too slow to react and so I disabled it and kept working, hoping the next version will fix it...

Today, version 10.1 came out - I updated and re-enabled the GPU hoping that issue was fixed. But, it's actually much much worse now, when trying to move/drag sliders around it will cause my computer to freeze to a point I have to turn it off and on again, I can't even force quit the app or anything like that.

I realize I have an older GPU, but I had zero issues with versions 9 and earlier.

Any advice, ideas, anyone else seeing this too?

It's my work so very important to have it back up sooner than later, I hope.

Thanks!

I am on macOS Mojave 10.14.6 

GPU is Gigabyte R9 280X

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
replies 147 Replies 147
New Here ,
Dec 11, 2020 Dec 11, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

same problem on macbook pro with most current operating system.  

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Dec 12, 2020 Dec 12, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm curious to know if there isd any comment from Adobe. I looked for but didn't see any. It's about customer satisfaction...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

None that I am aware of.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Same issue, after update to 10.1- what a disaster. Big Sur 11.0.1

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am having the same problem as everyone else. Is it better to disable GPU, or to install an earlier version?

iMac Late 2015, MacOS Catalina

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Dec 13, 2020 Dec 13, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Disabling GPU actually did not work for me. I installed the previous version and now it works again.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I also installed the earlier version and it worked for me as well.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hallo- ich habe die gleichen Probleme seitdem ich gestern macOS Bid Sur installiert habe. 

keine performanvce mehr sobald ich in den Entwicklungsmodus gehe- MAC friert ständig ein, stürzt ab etc?!?!

Hat jemadn eine Idee? Kann der Support helfen?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Wenn du LR 10.1 hast soltest du den GPU ausschalten oder zuruck zum LR 10.0

Ich hoffe da shilft. Tut mir Leid mein Deutsch ist primitive !

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hallo Jutta, also ich habe das neue  LRC 10.01 deinstalliert und die Vorgängerversion installiert. Hat funktioniert! Liebe Grüße Gabriele 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

I'm not alone with this problem. The same thing happens on my iMac (late 2015 - MAC OS 11.0.1 Big Sur). When moving the settings, the system stops and restarts completely. This happens in 8 out of 10 cases.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

My issue exactly. While reviewing with a friend who has has zero issues, the difference between our computers is the Graphics, mine is AMD Radeon R9 M380 2G, and his is M90. Could this be the source of the problem?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I agree, It does sounds like this bug affects this family of graphic cards.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Same here - 10.1 corrupted my catalog, just as version 10 did before I turned off the GPU. But the GPU was still off for 10.1 and still corrupted the catalog. Is Adobe really trying to make us find alternatives? Sure seems like it with upgrades that keep crashing systems. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Corrupt catalot is as bad as it gets, sorry!

Im really shocked we still have not heard nothing or at least a warning to not update from Adobe regarding this issue.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've read some people posted the same problem on Adobe's social media, but the response from Adobe's service team was just useless and patronising - they pretty much implied that people who have issues with 10.1 are the ones who didn't go to their troubleshooting page to learn how to disable the GPU.  The question should be - why the hell do I want to underutilise my machine when it's Adobe's engineers who didn't code properly?  I've also tried to disable the GPU, the issue still persists - less frequent, but is still there - crashed my MacOS every time when I tried to adjust the WB, on top of that, the time it took to load the photos became painfully long without the GPU acceleration.  

I think it's time for all of us to publicly shame the company on its FB and IG about their appalling customer service, and hope that will bring up the speed of the next update to fix this nightmare.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have iMac desktop with expanded memory running on BigSur 11.01 and with LrC 10.1 and my computer has crashed 3X now and it has never done this before.  LrC seems to run slow on sliders etc ever since last update and the longer I work in LrC the slower it gets and then seems to get confused and crashes.   Sounds like others are having similar problem so I will read all the replies here to see if there are any answers to this.  HELP!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 30, 2020 Dec 30, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have the same problem, after starting to use Lightroom Classic 10.1 my iMac keeps crashing, it has been rock solid previously.

iMac (Retina 5K, 27-inch, 2017)

4.2 GHz Quad-Core Intel Core i7

24 GB 2400 MHz DDR4

macOS Big Sur 11.1

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Suggestion is to go back to LR 10.0 and or disable Graphioc Processor in the LR preferences. It seems there are problems with version 10.1 and some of the Graphic Processors.

No comment from Adobe and we do not know if they are working to solve it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I disabled the graphics processor and that seems to be working for now.  Its very frustrating that an entire group of users are experiencing the same issues, paying monthly, for a service that isn't working and Adobe hasn't answered to anything.  Thank you all for your comments and guidance.  I appreicate this community.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Dec 31, 2020 Dec 31, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I had an exchange with a fellow who works with  "Victoria Bampton, The Lightroom Queen" https://www.lightroomqueen.com

They said Adobe is well aware of this problem and working on a fix, but agreed that their lack of communication has been ridculous. He said he also switched back to 10.0 as although he was not getting crashes and freezes like most of us, his Develop module was totally wonky. So that's the ebsta dvice, roll bacl to 10.0 and wait for the next fix. Happy New Year to all!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 02, 2021 Jan 02, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Same here, really frustrating. After disabling GPU it works, but laggier than before. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am experiencing the same issue - LRClassic is constantly crashing and freezing, making it unusable.  I have an

iMac 2019 

Running Big Sur

3.6 GHz Quad-Core Intel Core i3

Graphics is 

Radeon Pro 555X 2 GB

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Again, folks, just roll back to 10.0 until Adobe fixes this. And yes, they are aware of it, they are just not communicating, which is cheap and crappy IMHO

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I had the same problem. Lightroom 10.1 acted wonky, stopped responding, delivered weird artifacts in the image and crashed. No plug-in issues. 

I spoke to Adobe online help. Their fix was to disable my graphics card. That is not a solution as the screen redraw became unusable and unreliable. Alternate solution was to roll back to 10.0, Which is where I am right now.

I tracked it down to an issue in Camera Raw. I have the same issues in Photoshop when using Camera Raw - directly or as a filter. Don't know why Lightroom 10 works and 10.1 doesn't. Backtracking Photoshop helps too.

I've been spending a lot of time researching to get to a solution. Finding the exact hardware requirements for LR 10.1 vs. 10.0 is nearly impossible. I am faced with upgrading my Mac as there are no better graphics boards available for the one I have. A same for same swap to a newer Mac will run me over $10,000 - not an option any longer. 

Running a late 2013 Mac Pro with dual AMD Fire Pro D700 6 GB cards. These do support Metal and as near as I can tell, meet Adobe hardware requirements. 32 GB RAM, 1TB SSD, 3,5 GHz 6-core Intel Xeon E5. This was a refurbished model direct from Apple, purchased in 2017 - nearly maxxed out. Regardless of the Internet chatter, this is still a powerful computer. Onlly Adobe's software is causing me any problems.

It is really time to cut the cord with Adobe? I've been using their products since PS 1.0.7. There are plenty of alternate products at much lower prices available today. I know because I already use them. Get it together Adobe. Dropping support for older Macs is a big bad idea. 

As it is, it will take me awhile to save up my pennies to buy the latest MacPro. Even refurbished versions are out of my reach right now. The advantage to Adobe's subscription model was regular upgrades. That just became a liability.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines