Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Lightroom Classic 10.3 - Performance is outstanding - only 1 issue persists

Community Beginner ,
Jun 30, 2021 Jun 30, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Heyyy!! 

I've been using lightroom as my favorite tool since back v2.0 days. Moved from intel to M1 a few weeks ago and gotta say, in intel I always needed to customized catalog, xmp, metadata column, smart previews etc in order to run it as smootly as it could. With M1, this is as fast as I can hit the key. I take arround 100k images per year, I retain about 25%/ year and I use only one catalog. Suffice to say, I now can run fullscreen display render (F key + arrrows) and it just flows. That's impressive folks!!

Something is still bothering me thou, this issue is still not fixed since... forever.
In preferences, editing in PS, you can choose compression to ZIP or none. Even with ZIP selected, it never saves the file  accordingly. I've tested this over and over again, and I have to manually save as, then ZIP inside PS in order to compress the image as intended. Is this a hard fix or it's just forgotten?

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Jul 28, 2021 Jul 28, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Are you exporting to PS (edit in Photoshop) as TIFF?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jul 30, 2021 Jul 30, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jul 29, 2021 Jul 29, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

When you moved to the new computer, did you use Migration Assistant to move over all data? If so, are you sure you are now using the latest Lightroom Classic version (10.3), and not an earlier version under Rosetta 2? There was indeed a bug that compression did not take place, but I thought that bug was fixed now.

-- Johan W. Elzenga

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I didn't use Migration Assist, fresh install. I'm using the Universal version, not intel based, I've checked.
The bug it's still here.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jul 29, 2021 Jul 29, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@ALPH-adob wrote:

In preferences, editing in PS, you can choose compression to ZIP or none. Even with ZIP selected, it never saves the file  accordingly. I've tested this over and over again, and I have to manually save as, then ZIP inside PS in order to compress the image as intended. Is this a hard fix or it's just forgotten?

It seems to be working OK in Lightroom Classic 10.3 for Intel. If I Edit In Photoshop as TIFF ZIP, and then I try to Save As the resulting TIFF in Photoshop, it defaults to ZIP, indicating that is how it was already saved. It also reports the compression correctly in the MediaInfo utility. The file size of the one I sent from Lightroom Classic to Photoshop as Compression: ZIP is around 18% smaller than the one I sent as Compression: None. 

Yes, not applying ZIP was a bug that was reported but not fixed for many years, but it was finally listed as fixed in the October 2020 release, according to the Lightroom Classic Fixed Issues page.

If you can prove that it is not working in Lightroom Classic 10.3 for Apple Silicon, you should present the proof in the discussion for this issue, since it’s considered Solved there:

Lightroom Classic: TIFF compression settings have no effect when Lightroom sends image to Photoshop ...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I see, thanks for the link. Have you or could you test the same img file, exporting to PS as tiff, duplicate a layer, save, then a second time, same changes, save as and choose ZIP compression and post file sizes for comparison?  

Thanks

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines