Lightroom Classic 11 crashes

Explorer ,
Nov 14, 2021 Nov 14, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

on Windows 10, Lightroom 11

From yesterday, tried several options.

Lightroom suddenly showed problems, two phemomena:
- Lightroom Window completely frozen, also no Windows message like 'Lightroom not responding'; only taskmanager can kill it.
- window appearing telling that Lightroom has identified a problem en will shut down, which it did.
In the latter case I put my emailaddress for Adobe to respond to the crashes.
I do not know what to expect from Adobe, but so far no response.

Tried the Lightroom option to check catalog consistency: problem persists.

Tried with a new catalog: Lightroom seemed to work ok.

Tried the sqlite repair advice from Holger Mischke https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LsMdusYY-68
this showed a lot of errors, so I did not use the catalog coming out of this test.

By now, the actions left large dumpfiles on my SSD .../AppData/Adobe/CRLogs/dumps
Which I had to delete to be able to continue operation.

Went back to a backup catalog from 7 days ago.
Initially this looked ok, I could redo some of the work of the last days.
But with a next import, the crash-window was back.

Ran Windows memory-check mdsched, showing no problem

Aparently I cannot contact support at this moment, still would appreciate a solution.

Cees Wouda

TOPICS
Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Create a new catalog, see if it works better. Question is if the problem is with the old catalogs, with LrC, or the computer.

Later you may be able to import from older catalog, or from older catalog export to a new catalog.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Also

Please post your System Information as Lightroom Classic (LrC) reports it. In LrC click on Help, then System Info, then Copy. Paste that information into a reply. Please present all information from first line down to and including Plug-in Info. Info after Plug-in info can be cut as that is just so much dead space to us non-Techs.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Nov 15, 2021 Nov 15, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

thnx GoldingD  for responding; 

could not get the system info from the program with my original catalog;

attached is the system info from an initially empty catalog in which I could import some pictures;

this catalog did not crash yet.

I certainly need to recover a version of my original catalog to save all the work that is inside. 

I run weekly backups, but the catalog from one week ago that was created when Lightroom was still running smoothly is now also crashing. 

Cees

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Nov 15, 2021 Nov 15, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You can contact Adobe, and they may be able to help with a corrupt catalog.

https://helpx.adobe.com/lightroom-classic/kb/troubleshoot-corrupt-catalog.html

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Nov 16, 2021 Nov 16, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have had two sessions with Adobe support. In the end they said that my catalog was too big (100k pictures), which I very much doubt. Finally they did not check the catalog because it was too big to upload throught Creative Cloud. After the last call I was unhappy with the advice to split my catalog. Indeed today I had another crash, so it is not solved. For the time being I am using a fresh catalog to be able to continue my work, but I want to move back to my main catalog. 

Now I see that other people also mention crashes after a few minutes, and also comments that this could be solved in 11.0.1 Let's see. 

In addition I am in the process of migrating to a new computer with 32 GB instead of 16. Another comment from supprt that 16 is too small. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Please advise if 11.0.1 solves the crash for you. 

Just for the record:  100K images is not that big of a catalog and Lightroom Classic is fine with 16 GB of Ram. 

Rikk Flohr - Customer Advocacy: Adobe Photography Products

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you Rikk! I have the same feeling, I have friends with 600k and no problem like this. I will report back what 11.0.1 did for me. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Nov 18, 2021 Nov 18, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Working with version 11.0.1 is ok so far, I feel this has solved the problem. 

Interesting to see that support on this community is much better an more to the point than Adobe support, I was quite annoyed by that one. With their 'solution' they disqualified the product and themselves. They should have known that more people had this problem and that a fix was coming. 

Cees

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Dec 29, 2021 Dec 29, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I am on 11.1 and today Lightroom Classic crashed twice. It appeared frozen and could only be terminated with task manager, like what the OP experienced. Something like crash reporter kept on running until terminated. And each time, it generated 10GB files in the dump directory, for a total of 20GB until I ran out of disk space.

C:\Users\name\AppData\Roaming\Adobe\CRLogs\dumps

Inside the folder were 3 other files totaling another 10GB from November, which appear to be from earlier versions of 11.X.

All together, there was 30GB of files in there, and I only found them when I used TreeSize to dig through C drive to find out what just ate up all of my space.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Nov 17, 2021 Nov 17, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Bonjour a tous et merci pour votre aide,

J'ai le même problème que ceesw et je l'ai déja signalé le premier jour par téléphone dans un premier temp. J'ai remis à jour le pilote de ma carte Nvidia, j'ai controlé la RAM 16Go de mon ordianteur et même la structure de mon SSD. Je pense que l'importance de ma bibliothèque est peut-être la cause des ces plantages. Cependant les développeurs savent bien ce qu'ils ont modifié par rapport à la 10.4 et donc devraient réagirent pour corriger ce gros problème. Je dis gros problème car certain travail avec Lightroom Classic. Je sais pour avoir moi même travaillé dans le développement que des Bugs peuvent facilement apparaitrent pour une virgule mal placée.

Les plantages sont-ils toujours dans la V11.0.1 ?

Je n'ai pas le temps d'installer la V11.0.1 si je dois revenir à la V10.4.

Pour info : Le même problème est avec la dernier version de Photoshop. Moins de plantages mais difficile d'être certain de finir un travail. Exemple : Concaténation de plusieurs photos et le travail presque terminé Photoshop V23 se fige et comme je n'avais pas sauvegardé mon travail j'ai du tous refaire avec un autre plantage lors de la sélection.

J'utilise les Photoshop depuis 1997 et Lightroom depuis la V5. Dans l'entreprise ou je travaillé j'ai installé ces produits sur tous type d'ordinateur des plus puissants aux plus limites. Jamais je me suis retrouvé à revenir à une version plus ancienne pour pourvoir finir un travail.

Cordialement

DD

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines