• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Lightroom Classic 11 does not save changes in xmp eventhough catalog setting is put on saving to xmp

Explorer ,
Nov 07, 2021 Nov 07, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, I noticed that since I upgraded to v11 xmp's are no longer created or updated automatically even though my settings have not changed (save to xmp). I have to select my pictures instead and choose the menu option to save the metadata.

This error occurs in both the Windows version and in the Mac version.

TOPICS
macOS , Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Nov 07, 2021 Nov 07, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Adobe always post a what is new article on the web when they release an update or upgrade. In these community pages they include a announcement that the new version is available, if you look at near the top of Discussions, you will see it. In that document they will have a link to what is new.

here is that link:

https://helpx.adobe.com/lightroom-classic/help/whats-new.html

You will notice a section on Improved Metadata Workflow, you will want to read that. When LrC first saves a xml file has changed, it is not immediate upon import any longer.

P.S. a heads up, It appears from the Discussions many members including pro (currently Wedding Photographers, who are in too much of a hurry due to their business season) have nor read similar info about masking. Nor have they watched any tutorials or videos. Following is a very good video on masking (too bad the source has not done one on metadata yet)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y7Fld8eEHsE

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 22, 2021 Nov 22, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

We're having the same issue - two photographers who always use xmp sidecar to save our work and the catalog settings always have automatic metadata save enabled.

We usually import jobs in their individual folder and are edited throughout 2-3 days. Because of volume, we remove the job from the catalog since the edits are saved in sidecar. We have worked like this for years. We even ask retouchers to send only sidecar xmp files, never have had an issue until recently.

Without any warning, SOME full jobs that need revision after delivery do not have ANY INFORMATION on their sidecar xmp files. The files are there, but there is no information. We can't tell what's the variable that triggers this issue.

The earliest appearence was a job from mid October and the issue is not consistent. There are large and small jobs that have their editing saved in sidecars since then, while others are empty.

We will proceed to manually save editing to metadata before removing the job from catalog. Would be nice to know why and if there are others out there that have started seeing this issue.

Our work computers with issues:

MBP 2019 with OS 11.6 running LR 11.0 Build 202110120910-0bccc70D

MB Air 2021 with OS 12.0.1 running LR 11.0 Build 202110120910-0bccc70D

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Nov 22, 2021 Nov 22, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Without any warning, SOME full jobs that need revision after delivery do not have ANY INFORMATION on their sidecar xmp files.

And yet, if you read the comment just above yours, on October 26, 2021, Adobe publicly let people know about this change, and how it would work.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 16, 2022 May 16, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Exactly what happened to me.

It is a bug. Whatever they changed in a recent update this year or so, screwed me over. I lost all of this year's edits that I've done. Yes, the checkbox was already checked. But it wasn't writing them, it didn't do so until i unchecked it and checked it again

Now it writes them again. Definitely a bug, sounds like somebody messed up their settings loading logic. Frustrating because it lost so much data, and their stupid built in catalog saving info is the most braindead system I've ever seen. Obviously, because if it wasn't, I would still have my data

I had no idea it was broken all of this year, not until I had to go back to a previous edit and realize none of my ratings, edits etc were there.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines