• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Lightroom Classic 13.3 fails to import hevc video

New Here ,
Jun 24, 2021 Jun 24, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've tried all the suggested 'fixes' I can find without success and desperately hope some guru in this forum can help.  Here are the datails:

The PC

- Windows 10 Home Editiion with all latest updates, I believe

- HEVC Video Extensios from Microsoft already installed.

The video files in question

- HEVC videos were shot on iPhone Xs and downloaded to PC via iCloud for Window.

- The file extension of these files is *.MOV and encode in H.265 (verified in a video editor) The original filenames follow the pattern *_HEVC.MOV before being renamed.

When trying to import to LR Classic vesion 13.3 (Not subscribe yet. I'm currently in the trial period)

- The thumbnails on the Import Preview shows 'Preview unavailale for this file'

- After check the files and click [Import], there is popup message stating 'An unknown error occured while reading the video file'  with a list of video files, and these files are not present in the catelogue.

- Other types of videos, such *.mp4, *.mov (h.264 encoded) have no problem importing.

- Tried with or without logging with Adobe ID, no difference.,

I also tried old LR 5.x,  it too failed, with slightly different error message. 

Tried these hevc videos on a few other software: 

- These videos can be played without any problem using various media players, including Windows Photos, SMPlayer, etc

-They can be read and edited in Video Editors, includeing Davinci Resolve, Hitfilm Express, Videopad, etc. 

- They can be imported into other DAM/Photo Editors, such as Digikam, AcdSee Photo Studio. 

I've tried  the following without success:

clear video cache

uninstall and reinstall HEVC Video Extensios

Stop running Antivirous 

reboot PC, restart LR, etc  

Any suggestoins?

By the way, I'm aware of the some of workarounds, such as converting HEVC video to H.264, set the IOs device Camera format to Most Compatible instead of High Efficiency, etc. 

And I'm also aware that LR is primarily a photo management system. But  since Adobe annouced on their website 'Windows Lightroom and Lightroom Classic 9.3 and later support HEVC video files on Windows.' I would assume that it SHOULD work on my window 10 PC.

I wound like to know whether there is something else I can do, OTHER THAN THESE WORKAROUNDs,  before trying to convert all these video or maybe just give up Lightroom altogether. 

Thanks in advance

TOPICS
Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 24, 2021 Jun 24, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Just wanted to clarify that

1. 'clear video cache' mentioned in OP is done by clicking 'Purge Cache' button in LR classic's Preference/Performance tab, Video Cache Setting section. 

2. 'uninstall and reinstall HEVC Video Extensio' is done through Windows 10 'Apps & Features' 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jul 17, 2022 Jul 17, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Did you ever find a solution for this problem? Trying with the latest version, and gone thru the same steps as you, Lightroom still can't import IOS HEVC (.mov) videos.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 08, 2021 Aug 08, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Having the same issue on a Mac, getting "an unknown error occurred while reading the video file" seems to be that Adobe isn't able to import files with the HEVC codec, even though Adobe says it supports this codec.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Aug 08, 2021 Aug 08, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Please post your own discussion. 

Why?

First off, the original discussion has not been addressed by anyone, no solution, Other than yourself.

Second off, your OS is MAC, OP is WIN, different OS, possibly different solutions.

When you do, please include more information about your computer. include at least:

• Full program name and version
  • Full Operating System name and version
  • Make/model of smart phone
  • Any error message you receive in verbatim
  • Screenshots where applicable. Sometimes a picture is worth a thousand words.

Thise request based on the issue at hand. Some issues may also call for posting:

• Computer hardware, such as CPU; GPU; the amount of RAM; etc.

P.S. I see you are new to the community, below is a link on using the community:

Community How-To Guide - Tips & Best Practices

Also, sometimes the issue as presented by the original posting may cause members to ask more information about your rig. You can get ahead on that, and provide much of the above recommend minimal info by posting the System Information LrC provides via /help/system info/, bring that up, select copy, paste into your posting, oh, and trim it down a bit (include all info from first line to and including plugin info)

example:

Lightroom Classic version: 10.3 [ 202105281559-8dc50eb4 ]
License: Creative Cloud
Language setting: en
Operating system: Windows 10 - Business Edition
Version: 10.0.19043
Application architecture: x64
System architecture: x64
Logical processor count: 8
Processor speed: 4.0GHz
SqLite Version: 3.34.0
Built-in memory: 16317.1 MB
Real memory available to Lightroom: 16317.1 MB
Real memory used by Lightroom: 1302.8 MB (7.9%)
Virtual memory used by Lightroom: 1586.9 MB
GDI objects count: 746
USER objects count: 2288
Process handles count: 1909
Memory cache size: 252.3MB
Internal Camera Raw version: 13.3 [ 807 ]
Maximum thread count used by Camera Raw: 5
Camera Raw SIMD optimization: SSE2,AVX,AVX2
Camera Raw virtual memory: 299MB / 8158MB (3%)
Camera Raw real memory: 303MB / 16317MB (1%)
System DPI setting: 96 DPI (high DPI mode)
Desktop composition enabled: Yes
Displays: 1) 2560x1440
Input types: Multitouch: No, Integrated touch: No, Integrated pen: Yes, External touch: No, External pen: Yes, Keyboard: No

Graphics Processor Info:
DirectX: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1070 Ti (27.21.14.6089)

Application folder: C:\Program Files\Adobe\Adobe Lightroom Classic
Library Path: F:\Files\Pictures\Vacations and Day Trips\Photo Trips\24 Photo Trip September 2019\24 Photo Trip September 2019-v10.lrcat
Settings Folder: C:\Users\goldi\AppData\Roaming\Adobe\Lightroom

Installed Plugins:
1) Aurora HDR
2) ColorChecker Camera Calibration
3) DxO PhotoLab 3
4) DxO PhotoLab 3 Importer
5) HDR Efex Pro 2

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines