• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Lightroom Classic 2020 - Cache folder empty

Explorer ,
Mar 14, 2023 Mar 14, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

To make performance faster, I have set  30 GB for Cache, but I wonder why the Cache folder is empty and that Lightroom Classic 2020 does not use it

TOPICS
Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Mar 16, 2023 Mar 16, 2023

There really shouldn't be a need for an additional cache for Jpeg files. A Raw file consists only of sensor data, i.e. in its raw state it is NOT an RGB image and has first to be "converted" to RGB data that can then be displayed in image form. That conversion process happens every time we open a Raw file into the develop module, and it can take several seconds or longer before a "scene-referred" RGB preview is available in the system cache and can thus be displayed ready for editing in the Deve

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,
Mar 14, 2023 Mar 14, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

How long ago did you create it, and have you recently used the "Purge Cache" command?

What file type are you shooting in camera?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Mar 15, 2023 Mar 15, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I use only *.JPG - Never RAW

I don't use "
Purge Cache

I'm not aware of the impact it has and whether anything happens to the "Faces" I've already found.

I use "Optimize" a lot

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Your original question was about why the Cache folder was empty. The answer is that it's actually called the Camera Raw Cache, which means that it only holds small cached previews of RAW images. If you don't have any Raw images in the catalog, the cache will remain empty.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Is there no possibility to create extra Cache Ram, for faster processing of programs, for those of us who do not use rRAW format?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Mar 16, 2023 Mar 16, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

There really shouldn't be a need for an additional cache for Jpeg files. A Raw file consists only of sensor data, i.e. in its raw state it is NOT an RGB image and has first to be "converted" to RGB data that can then be displayed in image form. That conversion process happens every time we open a Raw file into the develop module, and it can take several seconds or longer before a "scene-referred" RGB preview is available in the system cache and can thus be displayed ready for editing in the Develop display window. So rather than have the user twiddling their thumbs waiting for the full-size RGB preview to appear, a much smaller RGB preview is created (during import or when previews are built) and stored in the Camera Raw cache. Thus when we select a raw file for editing in Develop, that CR cache entry can be loaded almost instantly, which allows us to start editing. In the background, the conversion of the raw file to produce the full-size RBG preview is done, and when complete it replaces the CR cache entry (a process which is practically seamless from a user prespective). That's probably a simplified version of the process, and there are added wrinkles which don't need to be detailed here.

But a Jpeg file, being already RGB data, needs no such time-consuming conversion process, the data can be read and displayed immediately, thus making a dedicated Jpeg cache not required.

Having said all that, if your initial query was based on performance problems that you might be experiencing, I suggest you detail those issues so that we can try to help.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines