Exit

Lightroom Classic: Adjustments exported in .DNG not recognised upon re-import

Explorer ,
Jul 04, 2021 Jul 04, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

System: MacOS 10.14.6/Lightroom Classic 10.3/Camera Raw 13.3

Lightroom Classic: Adjustments exported in .DNG not recognised upon re-import

When photos are exported either as either ”.DNG" or ".DNG+embedded original raw files with adjustments" these adjustments are not recognised on re-import of the exported .DNG file into Lightroom Classic. 

E.g. an original colour photo raw file say a .RAF or an .ORF is converted to black and white and exported as such into a .DNG file.

When I re-import the .DNG file it is displayed as a colour file again. This goes for all adjustments to the photo.

Curiously FastRawViewer recognises it as a black and white file based on the embedded B&W jpeg.

I believe it has been introduced with 10.3. 

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Explorer , Jul 05, 2021 Jul 05, 2021

After a lifetime in IT I must admit to a user error. I hadn't noticed a present was enabled but I got on to it when things worked in Photoshop. Sorry for all the fuss.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It's working fine on my Mac Pro and MacBook Pro! What OS are you using? 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Ian

Thanks for answering and good to hear it's working with you.

System: MacOS 10.14.6 (Mojave) on a late 2012 iMac.

If nobody else has the same problem, then I'll have to upgrade to 10.15, but I'm not keen as I will loose compatibility with other software.

Cheers,

Xpanded

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Curious as to why you want to reimport the DNG file.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Happy to oblige:

I have the original raw file (and backup copies of my LR catalog) on my Mac and on multiple harddisks at home and in a bank vault.

I export the DNG (and the backup of my LR catalog) and upload to my cloud based backup.

When that is done I download, check size and numbers of files, and re-import the .DNGs. Then I visually inspect each file. 

People often forget to restore and check a backup upon completion.

...Xpanded

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

and in a bank vault

Excellent backup practice.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Upload one of the problem exported black-and-white DNGs to Dropbox or similar and post the sharing link here.  We can see if it imports properly into other LR installations or if the problem is with the DNG itself, narrowing down the cause of the problem and suggesting workarounds.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jul 05, 2021 Jul 05, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Here is one:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/k7grflrp2pwwhnq/Test%20BW.dng?dl=0 

1) I have tried uninstalling and reinstalling Lightroom Classic = no change

2) When opening the exported DNG in Photoshop is is displayed correctly as a BW file

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I downloaded the file and imported it into LrC 10.3 the initial thumb showed as B&W but the imported image displays as Color with the Adobe Color default profile.

This leads me to believe the info in the file header with respect to the B&W profile is not available in my system.

It's similar to what I experience when I revisit image files from earlier camera models for which I used user-created profiles prior to my purchasing my Mac computer in 2015. Those user-created profiles are not in my system at present.

Ok, so I just used the menu function and selected "Read metadata from file" and the image switches to B&W.

Screenshot 2021-07-05 at 7.49.36 AM.png

Regards, Denis: iMac 27” mid-2015, macOS 11.7.10 Big Sur; 2TB SSD, 24 GB Ram, GPU 2 GB; LrC 12.5, Lr 6.5, PS 24.7,; ACR 15.5,; Camera OM-D E-M1

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank DdeGannes - I'll try to re-install the whole suite and see if that resolves the problem.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

After a lifetime in IT I must admit to a user error. I hadn't noticed a present was enabled but I got on to it when things worked in Photoshop. Sorry for all the fuss.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Good to see that you got it sorted out, I do not usually work with DNG files in my LrC workflow but I am still surprised by what I experienced with your file as you will note that I eventually ended up with LrC applying it's default B&W profile. I guess that is not how you applied the B&W in your workflow?

Regards, Denis: iMac 27” mid-2015, macOS 11.7.10 Big Sur; 2TB SSD, 24 GB Ram, GPU 2 GB; LrC 12.5, Lr 6.5, PS 24.7,; ACR 15.5,; Camera OM-D E-M1

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I just hit V to show the differences because it is easier between colour/b&w than 15 in clarity or none - at least to my old eyes!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines