Lightroom Classic and store changes to xmp and jpg-file

New Here ,
Mar 06, 2022 Mar 06, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi!

I mainly take photos in raw-format (.nef), but some photos are also JPGs. 

I want to use setting "save changes to xmp" to have original file unchanged.

Lightroon Classic cc do not create xmp-file when the processed file is jpg-file but stores changes directly to the original file. That means after the change I don't have original file. I store my files (nef and jpg) to monthly folder. 

If have been thinking how to keep also original jpg-files unchanged. I got idea to this workaround. If I set jpg-file to state "read only" LR can not store changes to original file but still changes are stored to my LR catalog. I use powercript to rename thotos and it is easy to set jpg to "read only". LR warns me that changes are not store with exclamation mark, but I can accept it with jpg-files. Using LR I can see still see cahanges I have made to the photo and when I export the photo changes and keyworts etc are storet to the new file.    

I use "write to xmp" for the reason if my catalog file is destryed and I can not restore it I have still my raw-file changes also in original + xmp. In my solution this works only in raw-files, not in JPGs, but I can accept  it to have still original jpg-file.

Do you see drawback in this workaround I'm describing above?

Do you have other solutions to keep original jpg unchanged except back up it to somewhere before you touch it with LR?

I try to keep raw and jpg handling as similar as possible in back up and storing.

BR

penalaak

PS: Do you know the idea not to have also xmp-file solution with jpg-photo?

TOPICS
Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 2 Correct answers

Community Expert , Mar 06, 2022 Mar 06, 2022

You may want to turn off the option to write your Develop parameters to JPG files, while continuing to write out keywording etc. That seems, to me, to give the best of both worlds and reduce how frequently JPGs (or, more significantly, larger bitmap files) will get modified on disk and therefore need to be re-backed up. XMP files for Raw are small, and quick to write to disk as well as to back up - so writing Develop changes out to Raw as you work, is a good idea with little practical consequenc

Translate

Translate
LEGEND , Mar 07, 2022 Mar 07, 2022

Many people have asked for an option to use .xmp sidecars for non-raws instead of storing changes to metadata inside the files themselves:

https://community.adobe.com/t5/camera-raw-ideas/p-store-the-xmp-metadata-outside-dng-jpeg-etc-file-to-be-backup-efficient/idi-p/12221162

Please add your constructive opinion to that feature request and be sure to click the Upvote button at the top-right and Follow at the bottom of the first post. That will make it a little more likely that Adobe will consider

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,
Mar 06, 2022 Mar 06, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You may want to turn off the option to write your Develop parameters to JPG files, while continuing to write out keywording etc. That seems, to me, to give the best of both worlds and reduce how frequently JPGs (or, more significantly, larger bitmap files) will get modified on disk and therefore need to be re-backed up. XMP files for Raw are small, and quick to write to disk as well as to back up - so writing Develop changes out to Raw as you work, is a good idea with little practical consequence IMO. 

richardplondon_0-1646560529593.png

The irreplaceable original JPG picture content is not changed when LrC metadata is written, of whatever type. If you never write your Develop adjustments to the JPG file, then when imported to some different Catalog it would arrive showing no remembered edits. But even if it did, it is easy to Reset all editing.

It is routine for images to have their internal metadata changed. Even when you just rename a file its Modification Date alters - and that is a real change to the file's contents (albeit, only to its metadata). A Raw file on disk is not invulnerable just because you aren't writing XMP into that, you still need to backup data regardless. So the above suggestion is really focused on pragmatic risk and efficiency.

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 07, 2022 Mar 07, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi!

Thanks richardplondon!

The feature you suggested was new to me.

It affects too to psd, tiff which I use too but not very much.

I'll test how it works and solves jpg-problem.

BR

penalaak

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Mar 07, 2022 Mar 07, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Many people have asked for an option to use .xmp sidecars for non-raws instead of storing changes to metadata inside the files themselves:

https://community.adobe.com/t5/camera-raw-ideas/p-store-the-xmp-metadata-outside-dng-jpeg-etc-file-t...

Please add your constructive opinion to that feature request and be sure to click the Upvote button at the top-right and Follow at the bottom of the first post. That will make it a little more likely that Adobe will consider implementing the feature and you'll be notified when they do.

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines