• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Lightroom Classic can't sync different OS file paths (mac and windows)

New Here ,
May 15, 2023 May 15, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I work on a Desktop PC and Mac Laptop, so when going back and forth on both using my external drive with all my photos on it, the file paths are different on mac and pc even though they are in the same place on the drive. If I have LrC locate all the missing files on my mac, I would have to do it all over again if I switched to my PC.

For example, on mac the path is:
\Volumes\Extreme SSD\PHOTOS\nohs state champs\JAK07956.jpg

and on PC it is
E:/PHOTOS/nohs state champs/JAK07956.jpg

So same location, but lightroom gets confused when looking at the different file paths from different operating systems. Is there anyway to fix this?

TOPICS
macOS , Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
May 15, 2023 May 15, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

You do not have to 'relink' individual files. All the folders will show as missing too. You can relink a folder by right-clicking on it and then choosing 'Find Missing Folder'. In the dialog that comes up, select the appropriate folder and the entire folder hierarchy will be relinked. That means that relinking the PHOTOS parent folder will relink all images in one click.

There is also a permanent fix. Store your images in a folder hierarchy that is inside the catalog folder. In that case Lightroom will use 'relative links' to the images, so instead of using 'E:/PHOTOS/nohs state champs/JAK07956.jpg' it will use '.../PHOTOS/nohs state champs/JAK07956.jpg' on both Windows as well as MacOS computers, if you move the PHOTOS folder inside the catalog folder.

-- Johan W. Elzenga

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines