• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Lightroom Classic Catalog empty on laptop but not on desktop

Community Beginner ,
Jan 02, 2023 Jan 02, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I edit my images on my desktop but I also want to edit my images on my laptop in the same catalog. So I have my catalog and images saved on a External SSD, when connected to my desktop everything is fine when I open the catalog alle the images and edits are there. When I plug in the External SSD in my laptop and op the catalog is tells me its empty. What is going wrong?

TOPICS
Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Jan 02, 2023 Jan 02, 2023

I'm 100% sure I open the right catalog file, because when I open the same in the desktop it works and I can see it at the date. 

By @Bas_Leroy

That does not mean anything. On your desktop, Lightroom will open the catalog from the external disk. But that does not prove that on the laptop Lightroom also opens that same catalog. Most likely it opens a new catalog, located on your internal hard disk. That catalog was automaticay created when you started Lightroom one day before the catalog on th

Votes

Translate

Translate
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Probably, you are opening the wrong catalog file.

When the external SSD is plugged into your laptop, find the correct catalog file in your Windows Explorer, and then double-click on it to open it. Once that works properly on the laptop, go into Lightroom Classic Preferences/General and set the option "When starting up use this catalog" to always open this catalog, by name.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm 100% sure I open the right catalog file, because when I open the same in the desktop it works and I can see it at the date. 

Now I noticed when I open a backup file it works, but this is not my latest edits. Now it is for example from yesterday.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

By @Bas_Leroy

That does not mean anything. On your desktop, Lightroom will open the catalog from the external disk. But that does not prove that on the laptop Lightroom also opens that same catalog. Most likely it opens a new catalog, located on your internal hard disk. That catalog was automaticay created when you started Lightroom one day before the catalog on the external drive was available.

-- Johan W. Elzenga

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

But I'm opening the .lrcat file form the explorer, from the external harddrive but

doesn't seem to make difference.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Well, all I can say is that there is no way that the same catalog can be empty when opened in Lightroom on one computer and not empty when opened in Lightroom on another computer. That is simply not possible. So either there is more than one catalog on that external hard drive and you picked the wrong one, or something is very wrong on your laptop. You could try to reset the preferences on the laptop, although I doubt that will solve it: https://www.lightroomqueen.com/how-do-i-reset-lightrooms-preferences/

-- Johan W. Elzenga

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Okay, I dont know how but its working now. thanks

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Probably LrC on your laptop has created a new Catalog since it did not locate the external drive. Try the following close LrC on the laptop and then using explorer open the external drive and locate your main Catalog file there. The Catalog file will have an extension on ding .lrcat (LRCAT), double.click the Catalog file and that should boot LrC with the correct Catalog.

Regards, Denis: iMac 27” mid-2015, macOS 11.7.10 Big Sur; 2TB SSD, 24 GB Ram, GPU 2 GB; LrC 12.5, Lr 6.5, PS 24.7,; ACR 15.5,; Camera OM-D E-M1

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm already opening the .lrcat file form the explorer doesn't seem to make difference.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines