• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Lightroom Classic CC 7.3 update crashes all the time

Community Beginner ,
Apr 03, 2018 Apr 03, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have  big problem with the new update of Lightroom Classic CC 7.3 and it is crashing a lot. It has crashed when I used the Profiles browser and also when I used ordinary presets. I´m not doing anything else with LR but with this new version seems very unstable, the 7.2 was very stable. I have checked so I dont have GPU acceleration on plus I have updated with the latest graphicscard drivers.

One other problem is with the converted development presets is rearranged in a total chaos order. I can not find any logic behind how it is organized. Is there a easy way to have it back in the order I hade it version 7.2. In the filesystem it looks ok but LR is doing something else.

Br

Mats

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
replies 200 Replies 200
Explorer ,
Apr 26, 2018 Apr 26, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

>> There's nothing wrong with my computer

You are saying that your computer is crashing, by that I assume you mean actual crashing, which entails a re-boot, not just hanging. A normal (user-mode) application on Windows (or OSX) should not be able to do so. They simply do not run under high enough privileges to cause a Windows/OSX crash, so there is no way LR should be able to do this. Again, if you by crashing means actual crashing, not hanging. Making Windows/OSX seem unresponsive is certainly possible for a regular app, but then the computer should just seem to be hanging, not crashing.

Now, a driver, like that of a graphics card, is another problem. A driver certainly can crash your computer. At least since Windows NT 3.51, the grandfather of Windows 10. Prior to NT 3.51, even bad drivers could not crash the OS. Please note, Windows 10 is a descendent of Windows NT through Win2000, Vista etc. There is nothing of Windows 95/DOS etc. There is nothing left of those in Windows 10. Same for MacOS, the older version was crashable by software, the one built on BSD should not be crashable except using protected-mode drivers.

So, yes, while your computer is crashing while using Lightroom, it is doing so only *indirectly* because of Lightroom. LR is a resource demanding application that is quite possibly taxing some part of your computer that other software is not. The most likely areas of stress are drivers, but it could also be faulty hardware that other software is not taxing in the same way. I'd put my money on drivers or memory. Since you are on the latest display drivers, I would recommend you run MemTest64 or something similar to check if there is something nasty going on in your memory chips.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

this update did not fix the issue of the program hanging after being idle for various amounts of time

i will also mention that importing was markedly slower...may be separate issues but it is worth mentioning

this issue of hanging makes it impossible to use the program...i downgraded to 7.2 but that should not be a solution

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for your response, TerjeAB.

Yes, it's a crash, not hanging of the program or OS, no blue screen etc. Suddenly my computer switches off, as if someone pulled of the plug, and then it reboots itself.

As I have already mentioned in this thread, I stress tested both memory and the CPU, both seem to be fine.

I know the history behind current Win10, I started from Win95, I've seen it all 😉 My problem seems non-specific, I suspect it has nothing to do with drivers. Consider this: previous versions of LR work without a glitch, I also work with other demanding programs, including Photoshop, databases, occasionally edit videos and play demanding games etc. All is good, except for the latest LR. Once I launch it, even if I don't do anything else, it becomes a ticking bomb, fans start to spin like crazy and the task manager shows heavy CPU load. Then comes the crash and reboot.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Which videocard do you have and did you stress test the gfx card? i still think its the powerunit by the way your telling the probme because no software alone can have such a effect that it reboots windows unless windows have some kind of hardware failure.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

"Which videocard do you have and did you stress test the gfx card?"

NVIDIA GeForce GTX960. No I did not stress test it, I may do so later on. I obviously tried using LR without GPU acceleration.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

well it might be that all processes together causes the problem. If i remember it correctly then i had the same problems with photoshop couple years ago and a new PSU fixed my problem. Have you check the windows event viewer to see what caused the reboot? Does it say something about a kernel?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Apr 27, 2018 Apr 27, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

" i would check the task/event viewer and see which errors you have besides the lighroom"

I looked into event viewer a number of times and couldn't find anything specific, I guess it would probably be helpful to someone more knowledgeable but it didn't help me. Anyway, I decided I will stick to version 7.2 until Adobe releases the next update. If problems persist even then, I will definitely try a new PSU. Thanks for your help.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

>> Once I launch it, even if I don't do anything else, it becomes a ticking bomb, fans start to spin like crazy and the

>> task manager shows heavy CPU load. Then comes the crash and reboot.

Thanks for describing your problem in more detail. Do you have temperature monitoring software installed on your PC? Mine will report both CPU and memory temperature and various other sensors, and your description does seem to point to a temperature issue. A complete shut-down with no OS crash report (previously called Blue Screen of Death) indicates a "catastrophic" HW failure. A driver crash or an OS problem caused by LR would probably end up with the BSOD, not a total crash. I had this issue for a while when a temp sensor failed and my fans *didn't* spin up when they should. The computer would shut down instantly under load.

As I said, your description would strongly point to a temperature issue. Obviously LR shouldn't go nuts on your CPU and/or memory, heating them up like that. On my MacBook Pro, just installing a 1TB SSD (third party, not Apple sanctioned) caused such a heat build-up that I had to get an external fan to assist.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I don't monitor temperature on my current PC, the CPU is not overclocked and until now everything worked fine. You may be right that the crash/reboot is caused by overheating but the latest Lightroom would still be the culprit.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yea, it might be that the latest lightroom release have been badly optimized so they might cause high voltage usage. High voltage usage isn't related to overheating but more related to the PSU and if the PSU cant handle the demand then it reboots the pc just like pulling the plug. My old PSU (powerunit) was just 1.5 years old so at first i didn't think that was the problem but when i swapped it out for a better brand then my pc worked fine again. So i wouln't say just get a new PSU but if i was you then i would check the task/event viewer and see which errors you have besides the lighroom.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

>> You may be right that the crash/reboot is caused by overheating but the latest Lightroom would still be the culprit.

LR might certainly do something that triggers heat build-up in your PC. That is a bad thing, and Adobe should certainly make sure they do not do this. Running hot while the app is idle is a bug for sure. This would also indicate that if you were running a video editing software or similar that taxes your CPU/Memory like this, your computer would also crash.Remember, memory chips run (at least) as hot as CPU these days, and so does many SSDs, the ones that look like memory chips in particular. The Samsung 960 or whatever it is called was some times too hot to touch in my PC until I upgraded a nearby fan, and as I mentioned, in my MacBook it makes the computer it self too hot to keep in the lap, I need a fan under the laptop.

As Richard_NL says above, this may tax your PSU to the degree where it just turns off. It is quite common these days that PSUs in store-bought PCs are way under-specced. Do you know its wattage?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Apr 27, 2018 Apr 27, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

"memory chips run (at least) as hot as CPU these days, and so does many SSDs,"

My start-up disk is also an SSD, so I will keep that in mind.

"Do you know its [PSU] wattage?"

If I remember correctly, 500W (I can't verify it right now). Thanks for your help, I will stay for now at version 7.2 and if the next release of LR gives me same problems, I may start substituting hardware components, starting with PSU.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

TerjeAB​, software most certainly can cause a computer to crash, both personal-class workstations as well as enterprise-class servers.

I've run UNIX servers professionally for 21 years and I've seen instances where this has happened. I also work directly with some of the best minds in IBM to resolve major issues on our systems; they have determined, on multiple occasions, that non-system software has caused a server crash. They are also able to accurately pinpoint what the application is doing that causes the crash and suggest tuning and other modifications to protect the server until the developers can fix the problem.

I wouldn't even think to challenge any person to try debating such a topic with IBM, it would be analogous to a single snowflake challenging a raging wildfire.

Please don't spread misinformation in these forums, it does nothing but cloud the issue and temporarily mis-lead people who genuinely want and deserve help from their peers.

Thank you

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

>> software most certainly can cause a computer to crash, both personal-class workstations as well as enterprise-class servers.

Yes, when there is a bug in the OS, or there is a bug in drivers used by said application, or, as I mentioned, there are hardware issues. The entire point of having protected-mode and user-mode code is to prevent this from happening. Applications *should* not be able to crash an operating system. That's at least the theory, and as you point out, there are times when theory and practice doesn't agree. So, we can look at the variables here, and try to determine where the probable cause lies.

1. Many users, me included, are l are running this with zero problems on exactly the same OS as the one that is crashing for others
  2. The software obviously crashes
  3. There are four possible culprits that can be behind the crashing
    1. The application it self
    2. The operating system
    3. Some driver
    4. A hardware problem

Thousands of users have been using the exact combination of the first two for a few days, many of those thousands of users have been using it extensively. I, for one, imported around 5000 images recently, and worked quite a bit on some of them. No problems. I walked away, the screen-saver engaged etc. No hanging and no crashing. So, even when this serious problem quite clearly affects many users, it's far from all. This seriously decreases the probability that 1 and 2 are culprits. Given that the software crashes basically *all the time* for the users in question, if 1 or 2 was the culprit, the laws of big numbers would make this a problem that wasn't wide-spread, it would be everywhere for *everybody* with the same OS version.

Logically this points to 3 or 4 as the culprit, but *triggered* by LR obviously. 3 and 4 are doing fine with other applications. Now, LR is probably not taxing regular HW in a dramatically different way than standard applications, such as Chrome the memory hogger. This again points to some driver, and more than likely, the display driver.

Having done a lot of video editing with Premiere and Vegas, I have found one major culprit in when computers start crashing. The culprit is nVidia. Their drivers are *notoriously* unreliable, and upgrading to the latest is usually not a good idea. In Vegas discussion fora, there were regular discussions about which specific version of nVidia drivers were working and with what nVideo card. It was hardly ever the latest version, and it usually varied from card to card.

NVIDIA GPUs. Good and bad drivers for VEGAS

Adobe is going to find the problem, and they are most likely find it is something they do with the graphics driver. Most likely. They will then stop doing this to the particular driver, and things will go back to being normal. Still, after Adobe fixes it, the driver, not LR was the culprit.

Oh, and finally, be careful about throwing experience and company name around. I was developing software for Unix before you got out og High School (assuming you've mostly worked in tech since college and you finished about 21 years ago). Some of those years for IBM too. I have been chasing the bugs that you are talking about, and they were *never* in the application it self, but (barring HW issues) always in some driver etc. For years Oracle was a notorious problem, and they therefore required very specific versions and patch levels of Sun OS (best ever Unix from Sun) and Solaris (YURKH for the first few years, MEH ever since) to run. Once or twice the bug exposed bus in the OS, but that was relatively rare.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Apr 25, 2018 Apr 25, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Save your self the headache and revert back to 7.2. I did yesterday and everything is back to normal and performing perfectly.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Apr 30, 2018 Apr 30, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I, too, went back to 7.2. I'm running a late 2013 Mac Pro with 64 gb ram and the latest system. I've been using LR since version 1. This is, by far, the worst version ever. I'm a pro fotog and this wasted a lot of time. V 7.2 is sluggish, but it works.... Please do better, Adobe.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
May 05, 2018 May 05, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Another week and still no solution to the 7.3 and 7.3.1 crashes?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Lightroom classic cc 7.3.1 slower than ever!

Since the update to version 7.3, Lightroom runs much slower than before. When I start LR, it takes about 3 minutes to see the first photos. After about 5 minutes LR has recognized all directories and looks ready for use.

If I then want to edit a photo, first the workspace is black, in the status line is: "no response" and after about 20 seconds, the image can then be edited.

If I have imported photos, LR will hang completely after a short time and in the status line is again "no response". Then I have to restart LR again.

These problems did not exist before the update to version 7.3. My hardware was not changed.

I've tested all the suggested ways to improve performance. I deleted LR and reinstalled it. All without success.

That's just annoying with software I pay for every month.

Photoshop CC and Adobe Bridge work as before.

My Hardware: Intel Core i5-2300 CPU @ 2.80GHz / 16GB RAM / 64-bit / GPU: AMD Radeon R7 200 Series 2048MB GDDR5 OpenGL 4.5

I'm on Windows 10 Home, 64-bit, version 1709, OS build 16299.371

All drivers are up to date.

I reset LR to version 7.2 and everything is fine again. But that can not be the solution !!

Are we customers being abused by Adobe as a tester now ?? I am not amused

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

"If I have imported photos, LR will hang completely after a short time and in the status line is again "no response". Then I have to restart LR again."

That's exactly the problem I have.  Otherwise, it works fine and seems faster than 7.2 and prior. 

My photography site: https://www.thephotographyhobbyist.com/

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Went back to 7.2 and seems to be working again. We'll see.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 29, 2018 Apr 29, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Version 731 doesn't work better than version 73. Strangely enough, it's stable unless I use DBPoweramp at the same time. Then it becomes unresponsive. The workspace get black and I have to kill the process. The crash report screen doesn't show.

Unfortunately, I have to run DBPoweramp, as a parallel process. Now I must choose LR or DBPoweramp and I'm loosing a lot of time.

Here is part of system information:

Version Lightroom Classic: 7.3.1 [ 1167660 ]

Licence: Creative Cloud

Paramètre de langue: fr

Système d'exploitation : Windows 10 - Home Premium Edition

Version : 10.0.16299

Architecture de l'application : x64

Architecture du système : x64

Nombre de processeurs logiques: 8

Vitesse du processeur : 3,5 Ghz

Mémoire intégrée : 8142,9 Mo

Mémoire réelle disponible pour Lightroom : 8142,9 Mo

Mémoire réelle utilisée par Lightroom : 1589,1 Mo (19,5%)

Mémoire virtuelle utilisée par Lightroom : 1531,1 Mo

Nombre d'objets GDI : 608

Nombre d'objets utilisateur : 2378

Nombre de processus gérés : 1661

Taille de la mémoire cache : 31,7Mo

Révision interne Camera Raw: 933

Nombre maximal de liens utilisé par Camera Raw  : 5

Optimisation SIMD de Camera Raw : SSE2,AVX,AVX2

Mémoire virtuelle de Camera Raw: 29Mo / 4071Mo (0%)

Mémoire réelle de Camera Raw: 30Mo / 8142Mo (0%)

Paramètre PPP du système : 96 PPP

Composition sur le Bureau activée: Oui

Affichages : 1) 1680x1050

Types d'entrée: Tactile multipoint : Non, Tactile intégré : Non, Plume intégrée : Non, Tactile externe : Non, Plume externe : Non, Clavier : Non

Informations relatives au processeur graphique :

DirectX: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 750 (23.21.13.9077)

Dossier de l'application : C:\Program Files\Adobe\Adobe Lightroom Classic CC

Chemin d'accès à la bibliothèque : C:\Users\Mi\Pictures\Catalogue_Oli\Catalogue_Oli-2-2.lrcat

Dossier des paramètres : C:\Users\Mi\AppData\Roaming\Adobe\Lightroom

Modules installés :

1) Adobe Stock

2) Facebook

3) Flickr

4) HDR Efex Pro 2

5) Module externe de prise de vue en mode connecté Canon

6) Module externe de prise de vue en mode connecté Nikon

Marqueurs Config.lua: None

Adaptateur n° 1: Fournisseur : 10de

Appareil : 1381

Sous-système : 10261019

Révision : a2

Mémoire vidéo : 984

Adaptateur n° 2: Fournisseur : 1414

Appareil : 8c

Sous-système : 0

Révision : 0

Mémoire vidéo : 0

AudioDeviceIOBlockSize: 1024

AudioDeviceName: Speakers (Realtek High Definition Audio)

AudioDeviceNumberOfChannels: 2

AudioDeviceSampleRate: 48000

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Apr 29, 2018 Apr 29, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've been having decent luck with 7.3.1.  However, I just ran into a bug that I reproduce 100% of the time.

I have a collection that's used for a book that I printed on Blurb, came out great.  I wanted to archive the photos and definition into a separate LR catalog, to copy it off to a Blu-ray disc. 

Anyway, I'd done it successfully with two other books using 7.3.1.  Then I was doing it to my third book, and LR crashed 75% or so into the export.  If I export it without exporting the "negatives" it works.  But with them, it crashes at the same point each time.  And the only thing I can see wrong is that 8 of the negative files had been moved outside of LR, but were brought back in to a different location, via resync.  Because they were now elsewhere, LR would not let me resolve the missing locations.  I replaced them in the book with the "new" copies.  But it still crashes every time when exporting with negatives included.

Unfortunately, LR never produces the Adobe crashlog reporter.  I even went and created/edited the key per the Adobe instructions which say I may have it turned off.  Still no crashlog.  I've had the same crash all three attempts.  Windows Error reporting shows:

Faulting application name: Lightroom.exe, version: 7.3.1.10, time stamp: 0x5ad744c8

Faulting module name: ucrtbase.dll, version: 10.0.16299.248, time stamp: 0xe71e5dfe

Exception code: 0xc0000409

Fault offset: 0x000000000006a508

Faulting process id: 0x3eeb0

Faulting application start time: 0x01d3dfd529272ce3

Faulting application path: C:\Program Files\Adobe\Adobe Lightroom Classic CC\Lightroom.exe

Faulting module path: C:\WINDOWS\System32\ucrtbase.dll

Report Id: 3aca93f4-3884-4c99-939f-8944994afd9d

Faulting package full name:

Faulting package-relative application ID:

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 06, 2018 May 06, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It is still very slow. Preset Previews must be turned off. When a new update?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
May 07, 2018 May 07, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Rather than going to the trouble to uninstall and move back to 7.2, you guys might want to verify whether or not the bug you're seeing is the one where LR crashes shortly after removing a SD card from your PC or removing your USB connected camera from your PC while LR is open (typically, this is the case when you're importing new files). 

The reason I say this is because with 7.3.1, LR was still crashing for me but when I tried the very easy workaround to see if removing a SD car or the camera while LR is open, LR stopped crashing and works just fine.  The workaround for me is simple. I move my new files from the SD card or from the USB connected camera to my PC BEFORE opening LR (I move them to a temporary folder).  I then remove the SD card or camera, then open LR and import my files and work happily with no problems/no crashing. 

I'll continue to use this very quick and easy workaround until LR is fixes so it doesn't crash in these cases mentioned above (when removing a memory card or camera while LR is open). 

Anyway, you might want to check to see if this is the problem you're having before you waste a lot of time uninstalling/reinstalling.  I'm going to keep using 7.3.1 since there are no more crashes when I work this way and it won't slow me down more than 30 seconds or so.

My photography site: https://www.thephotographyhobbyist.com/

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
May 07, 2018 May 07, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I removed my external SD reader.  LR still went non-responsive.

I also have the color-munki display which monitors and adjusts for ambient light changes and a Wacom tablet - both functional hardware fairly common among photographers.

I wonder if we're expected to climb under the desk and remove and do without both of them every time we use LR.  Thoughts?

Adobe looking for an update here.  It's been a couple of weeks now.

Only good thing is it seems to open back up with no ill effect (right?) after killing the app.

-David

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines