• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Lightroom Classic CC 7.4 still crashes my computer

Explorer ,
Jun 19, 2018 Jun 19, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The new version of LR Classic has the same catastrophic bug as in previous two versions (7.3 and 7.3.1). When I open the program, the CPU goes into overdrive and my OS (Win 10) restarts shortly afterwards, without any warning. The only difference is that LR 7.3/7.3.1 crashed my computer in under a minute, now with this crap version 7.4 it takes maybe a couple of minutes.

I reported the bug in this discussion (Lightroom Classic CC 7.3 update crashes all the time) when versions 7.3 and 7.3.1 came out and received no suggestions from the staff (lots of complaints from other users were ignored, too). Some people on the forum tried to help but to no avail. I have waited and waited for Adobe to fix this bug, but it's the third version in row that crashes my computer and I'm still stuck with version 7.2 😞

If anyone else has the same problem (computer restarts without warning when using the crappy LR CC Classic 7.3 / 7.3.1 / 7.4), please report it here, maybe we can find a solution together (in place of virtually non-existent Adobe support).

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Jul 17, 2018 Jul 17, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi marcinb,

We're really sorry for all the trouble caused you. We always try and fix the prior reported issues in the next update release, you can refer the list of fixed issues in Lightroom Classic CC 7.4 update here:New features summary for the October 2017 and later releases of Lightroom Classic CC

Could you please share your system info with us? Go to Lightroom > help menu > system info also, turn off the GPU in Lightroom preferences and let us know if that helps. Go to Lightroom > Preferences > Performance tab > Uncheck GPU > Restart Lightroom.

Regards,

Mohit

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Aug 12, 2018 Aug 12, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

GPU off did the trick, but are you guys looking for a solution?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If turning off the GPU fixed the problem, that IS the solution. GPU support is primarily for users who have 4K high resolution monitors anyway. Otherwise you won't see much benefit from using it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Guess what I have a iMacwith 4K resolution and retouch images all the time, I think I like what I see when using the full resolution and GPU on my computer.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Make sure your drivers are up to date. If they are, and it is crashing, then I have seen it suggested to install an older driver. That has apparently resolved the problem for some users. That's the only suggestion I have because I don't have a high resolution monitor.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Will do, thank you for the input

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

"If turning off the GPU fixed the problem, that IS the solution."

I wish it were that simple 😞

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

When I made that reply I didn't realize you had a 4K monitor (I'm not a mind reader, and I don't have a crystal ball). I gave you my suggestions of what to do since you do have such a monitor. If that doesn't provide a suitable solution then I suppose you'll have to wait in line with others. Adobe is introducing a lot of "leading edge" technology, but there seem to be too many different computer configurations with too many different possible component combinations and I think it's mind-boggling to even the Adobe engineers to attempt to plug all the possible holes. Maybe they will accomplish it someday.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Mohit, in my original post I provided a link to an earlier discussion where I specified my system info and all the steps I'd taken to resolve the issue. Switching off GPU does NOT help.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Jul 17, 2018 Jul 17, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You reported your computer crashing in a thread about Lightroom crashing. These are not the same. The solutions described in that thread will not help for computer crashes.

System crashing is always a hardware problem or bad driver. Please re-install your video and motherboard drivers; and check you hardware for malfunctions; and make sure your cooling system is operating properly. Your symptoms indicate overheating.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

"System crashing is always a hardware problem or bad driver".

Thanks for your response but I this is not true. You can find more info on this topic under the original discussion here: Lightroom Classic CC 7.3 update crashes all the time

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Oct 19, 2018 Oct 19, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

OK, I've finally found the solution to the problem that made me start this thread. To recap, my LR Classic was completely unusable above version 7.2 - all later versions, including 8.0, crashed my Win10 OS. I tried to fix it in several ways (new drivers, switching off GPU etc.) but nothing seemed to work. Well, two days ago I did another thing--after upgrading (again) to version 8.0 I started a brand new catalog and imported my old catalog into it. It took many hours (over 60K files) but it worked, no more crashes! I repeated the same process with another, smaller catalog. It worked as well and everything is fine now. I hope this information helps other users experiencing problems after upgrading their LR Classic.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 30, 2020 Jul 30, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, I know this is a really old thread but I'm having such frustrating issue with my brand new Spectral 360 with i7 processor, top end graphics card, 4k LED screen and I cannot use light room with my graphics card because it keeps blue screening. I even just sent my computer to geek squad had the driver updated and they put it through all stress test with no problems. I'm so frustrated and just want to edit photos. Sad thing is, the app works better on my phone. Any advice helps. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Jul 31, 2020 Jul 31, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Start a new thread, and explain in detail what happens and what you are doing when the crash happens.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 29, 2020 Dec 29, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am in the exact same situation. Brand new HP Spectre with all the necessary graphics and drivers. The minute I open Lightroom, everything freezes and my laptop reboots with a different error every time. I'm so disappointed! I'm also paying a monthly fee to have Lightroom, so this is unacceptable.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Dec 29, 2020 Dec 29, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Start a new thread, your own discussion. It is highly irritating and not efficient to tack on to two year old postings.

Many members will just ignore.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines