Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Lightroom Classic CC 8.0 large sized backups and LRCAT file

Explorer ,
Dec 04, 2018 Dec 04, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Everyone!

Experiencing two weird issues with respect to LRCAT file size and LRCAT backup size.

1st problem is Catalog size is more or less independent of number of photos.  So 152 shot catalog and 25 shot catalog, are both 200 MBs unlike how it previously was. Here, I'm talking about the file size of the LRCAT file itself and nothing else. Just the catalog. As sometimes I've to export a 3 shot LRCAT file for the client when they already have the original RAW files and all I need to send them is the LRCAT file and nothing else.

2nd, compression ratio for LRCAT file (when compressed and saved by Lightroom) was around 80%. This was more or less similar to what you would achieve if you manually compressed an LRCAT file. While now theres barely 5-8% compression. Basically, 200 MB LRCAT would now be backed up as 180 MB compressed zip file. Earlier that was 10 MB or so. So all LRCAT backup folders are growing at a ginormous rate.

I hope that this is something that adobe can resolve and not something permanent with LR 8.0. As its making image transfer really difficult for people where good internet connection is still a luxury.

Is someone else experiencing this? Can someone from Adobe advise on when (or if) this will be fixed?

Thanks in advance for any help

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

New Here , Feb 12, 2019 Feb 12, 2019

In order to clean catalogs presenting the issue, I've found the following workaround.

1. Make sure the folder

Application Support/Adobe/CameraRaw/Tables

is empty.

2. Within an SQLite editor, delete all the rows in the table

Adobe_libraryImageDevelop3DLUTColorTable

for each plagued catalog (delete all the rows of records, not the table itself).

As size of .lrcat files is not reduced yet, open in LR each catalog, optimize it then close it.

In all my non-infected catalogs the table Adobe_libraryImageDeve

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,
Dec 08, 2018 Dec 08, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Opened the catalog file linked above in a text editor and it appears that the 180MB is a gigantic color profile set as the default soft proof profile. It appears Lightroom stores this profile in the catalog file! Try changing the default proof profile to something simply like sRGB and then exporting a catalog.

Also if it hasn't been mentioned before submit a bug report to https://feedback.photoshop.com

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Dec 09, 2018 Dec 09, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hey Mate,

I checked my proof profile and it was still set to Adobe 1998.. same result changing it to sRGB. What were you looking for inside the catalog file with the text editor? Wondering if I can try change it this way, been trying everything and cant stop the file size from exploding on closing any new catalog.

Thanks!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I just opened the lrcat file in a text editor and right before a giant

block of data that goes until the end of the file there is a header that

seems to indicate a proofing profile is starting. I don’t think you can

easily edit this file but you might be able to manipulate it using MySQL

from the command line.

On Sun, Dec 9, 2018 at 2:22 PM jackc80362305 <forums_noreply@adobe.com>

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks mate, I work on so many catalogs that just wont be able to work for me.. sigh.. this is such a big bug to have pop up and really removes that easy of file transfer for many that use Lightroom in this way.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am also experiencing this over a couple of machines now. I have tried rolling back to older versions of LR CC but still having the same issue

Is there a fix for this or does one know where to alter the catalog file to change that soft proofiing profile (if that is the cause of the large file sizes). I deal with a lot of LR catalogs each day and this is crippling my ability to upload/download and share.

Thanks

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Dec 10, 2018 Dec 10, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I tried using Notepad ++ to compare two of my catalogs today, one pre v8.0 and one post.

The difference was 171,000 lines of code in pre v.8 and 1.7 million in the second.. needless to say Notepad ++ Crashed in trying to open the v8.0 catalog and never made it far into the direct comparisons. With so many lines its near impossible to compare but I really hope this bug is rectified soon as the file size is a very frustrating bug.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Dec 11, 2018 Dec 11, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Doing a file comparison on the two SQL data files is not helpful. It is possible to have the two files contain the same info but still be different at the byte level.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Feb 24, 2021 Feb 24, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am having the same issue. My catalogs are 520mb. Huge! I did that by deleting the Table folder and it is working if i open again one of the catalogs with 520 mb the folder is getting full again.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi! Sorry to hear that. The problem hasn't yet been solved by Adobe but the community here has since pointed to a reasonable workaround. Empty tables folder, Open each infected lrcat in a SQL editor and remove all entries inside of '3D colour table', save and exit. Then open lrcat and click optimize and exit. The size would have reduced back to normal and all other problems solved. Just take care to never open an infected catalog without repairing it first. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Please review the answer marked as corrrect as includes a reference to the location in which the LUT tables are stored on your hard drive. If this folder contains any LUT tables they will be imported into your catalog whether you want hem or not.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is a serious issue that needs a resolution by Adobe.  It has been reported on several threads and has been acknowledged by Adobe.  I am pretty sure Adobe has an internal method they use to get rid of this LUT bloat considering they load and test Catalogs from all over the place.  Adobe should be able to easily release an external program to go through all the Catalogs you pick and delete the tables and then delete the tables on the drive.  I used to import photos that were uploaded by people having issues on the forums to test but now I won't import a RAW file with an XMP or any non RAW that might have embeded XMP to prevent this LUT bloat issue.  

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines