• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Lightroom Classic CC will not play videos of any sort MOV, MP4 or MTS or AVI. Now what?

Explorer ,
Oct 23, 2017 Oct 23, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Lightroom Classic CC will not play videos of any sort - MOV, MP4 or MTS or AVI.

Some show a thumbnail, new movies only show a waveform.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Try manually deleting the video cache -- that helped another person: Videos don't play and don't import | Photoshop Family Customer Community

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That did not work. I deleted the video cache from the Preferences Panel. Lightroom Classic CC hung dead. Then I forced quit and found the video cache files in the Finder and deleted by hand. Restarted Lightroom, video still not working.

Working off another lead found by Google-Fu I tried to delete Quicktime. One can't delete it in High Sierra. Undeterred, I deleted all the Quicktime support files (courtesy of App cleaner), poured myself a Scotch, and reinstalled High Sierra from the App Store.

Seems to be working now!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Glad you got it working, but that's daunting!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Oct 30, 2017 Oct 30, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The issue has been recurring after moving a lot of video files between folders. (I am in the process of freeing my clips from iMovie jail and moving them into Lightroom to simply my life when trying to select images for a slideshow) .

What seems to fix it now is to restart with fresh preferences file. I guess the long path I took also got me a fresh preference file!

Hopefully, someone in Adobe will notice this and check the interaction between a new preference file and video. Perhaps it clears some cache somewhere.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Dec 09, 2017 Dec 09, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Can someone explain to me in truely simple terms how to get videos to play in LR CC classic mine all now say error in playing video and I have thousands of videos

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 15, 2018 May 15, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

(Mac OSX El Capitan, 10.11.6)

After hours of searching these forums and the web to determine why my MOV and MP4 files no longer worked after  I upgraded from Lightroom 4 to Lightroom Classic CC, I found it was due to a bug with Quicktime after an El Capitan upgrade, and this cured my problem:

QuickTime X doesn't work after El Capitan… - Apple Community

----------------------------------

(excerpted from above Link-- As RJTUK recommended:

To delete QuickTime preferences follow the steps below:

1. Make sure that Quicktime is not running.

2. From your desktop select the Go menu while holding the Option key on your keyboard and select Library open the Preferences folder and drag the following files to your trash:

com.apple.quicktime.plugin.preferences.plist

com.apple.QuickTimePlayerX.LSSharedFileList.plist

Restart your Mac and try again.

----------------------

All my MOV and MP4 files came alive again after doing this.  Hope it works for you!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jan 01, 2019 Jan 01, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

doesn't work with me as I don't had these files in the folder so couldn't delete them... any other ideas??

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jun 17, 2018 Jun 17, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I suppose I have a similar question.

Video thumbnails won't play from within Lightroom 6 but they will play in Apple's File Manager.

Something dodgy's going on I suppose.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Jun 17, 2018 Jun 17, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

See my reply to your other post: Re: Video playback very laggy

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Aug 19, 2018 Aug 19, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I was playing time-lapse videos captured with my iPhone X in LR CC (iPad) just fine, but got the same error when I tried to bring them into Lr Classic CC. I used Compressor (Final Cut) to save copies of the videos and then they imported and played just fine.

Jason P. Odell Photography
www.luminescentphoto.com

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Aug 19, 2018 Aug 19, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I was playing time-lapse videos captured with my iPhone X in LR CC (iPad) just fine, but got the same error when I tried to bring them into Lr Classic CC. I used Compressor (Final Cut) to save copies of the videos and then they imported and played just fine.

This sounds like a different problem than the original poster's.  How did you "try to bring them into Lr Classic", and what error message did you get?

If you tried to use Import and got this message:

then almost certainly the problem is that the videos were recorded by iOS in the "new" HEVC format, which isn't yet supported by LR Classic.  Adobe has officially promised support "soon": Lightroom Classic and CC: Please support HEVC (H.265) video support | Photoshop Family Customer Comm...

You can change the iOS default to be MP4 by checking the iOS option Settings > Camera > Formats > Most Compatible.  The subsequent quality of the videos will be about the same but their file size will be about twice as big as HEVC.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Oct 03, 2019 Oct 03, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Same problem... I can't play my videos from my library and I can't import new videos either... More than a month with this problem...and Adobe can't or doesn't know how to solve it. I find it incredible to be like this, I need to work!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 11, 2020 May 11, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have the same problem. Literally hundreds of videos just stopped working. Can't import them any more either. Previously, all of this stuff worked. Tried all of the above stuff and it didn't work.

It would be nice if there were clear instructions on how to remove and reinstall LR Classic without losing all the libraries and add-ons...becuase last time this happened, I did a complete R*R of everything..and it all worked for about 2 months. Then, one day, it just stopped working again.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

Thanks for reporting the issue. Do you mind sharing the videos which you are unable to import or play in Lightroom? We would try to reproduce the issue in-house and let you know.

Regards, Sumeet

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

There's literally 100s of them...I have a terrabyte plus of photos and videos in my library. They are one of a few types of files:

1) They come off a Canon DSLR

2) They come off an iPhone

3) They come off a GoPro

I've been using LR classic for years with these same file types. Everything has always worked. Now, suddenly, twice in the last 3 months, you can no longer play them and you can no longer import ANY video.

Chris O.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
May 12, 2020 May 12, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

1. Are you able to import or play at least some formats/videos or nothing at all? 

2. When was it last (mention Lr version) where you could play the videos without any issues?

3. Please follow the debug steps in the following link: https://helpx.adobe.com/lightroom-classic/kb/troubleshoot-video-issues.html

If your issue is still not resolved then could you please share us a sample each from different Devices if possible. (over Dropbox/ Drive or any other link)

Regards, Sumeet

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

I am unable to import ANY video of any sort. I'll try the debug steps. Your troubleshooting steps are not in the right direction if you are asking me for video clips. It happens with ANY video.

chrisogg_1-1589298451580.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

Thanks for the information. As I see, you are not able to import any video, please follow the debug steps mentioned in https://helpx.adobe.com/lightroom-classic/kb/troubleshoot-video-issues.html

These steps are to help you import/play videos that used to play earlier but no longer play now.

Let us know if that helps. Else we can try to debug in a different direction.

Regards, Sumeet

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Tried this - it didn't work.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
May 13, 2020 May 13, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

Sorry to hear that it didn't work for you. It means you have already done the following :

• Install any updates available for your OS.
  • Install any updates available for your GPU driver.
  • Cleared cache.
  • Made sure you have enough disk space available.
  • Deleted the Video Cache files
  • Tried killing dynamiclinkmediaserver and dynamiclinkmediamanager if they stay even after closing Lightroom.

Please share your system details with us. Could you please post your "System Info" [LR -> Help -> System Info]. Also let us know if you have Quicktime or VLC Media player installed in your system.

Regards, Sumeet

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jun 14, 2020 Jun 14, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am having the same problem. On the same machine I have both Lightroom Classic and Lightroom CC.

- Lightroom CC can play the videos without issue

- Lightroom Classic can't play them:

a) All the videos I had in my library. Old and new. Mov and MP4. Canon and iPhone. 
   b) Unable to import new videos, from any source
   c) Some thumbnails show properly, newest videos as waveforms

What triggered this was either a 3rd party app I've installed, or an OSX update. I'm currently on Catalina 10.15.5

I've tried all the steps listed here and all the related links.  Problem is current as of 2020-06-16, with latest version of LRC

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jan 05, 2021 Jan 05, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

Mac 10.15.7, LR Classic 10.1

Everything was working fine. Creative Cloud asked me if I wanted to update from LR Classic 10.0 to 10.1. I updated. Now LR won't play any video files, nor will it import any video files.

I've tried everything on these threads. No luck. I spent almost 3h with tech support yesterday. No luck. 

Adobe - this needs to be fixed. Searching the forums it seems to be a very long standing issue.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Jan 05, 2021 Jan 05, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Adobe - this needs to be fixed. Searching the forums it seems to be a very long standing issue.

We're not Adobe in this forum, we're Lightroom Classic users. We can't fix it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 21, 2021 Jul 21, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I have the same problem on my desktop PC. Lightroom Classic 10.3 suddenly refuses to play or import any videos. Spent hours with Adobe Customer Support using remote access but no fix.

Used Adobe CC Cleaner tool to remove all components. Re-started, ran Norton Utilities, re-started and re-installed from version 10.2. Same problem!!

Out of interest, I have a laptop running identical build of Windows 20H2 and Lightroom Classic 10.3 without problems (at present!).

I noticed that dynamiclinkmediaserver and dynamiclinkmediaserver.exe are not running when Lightroom is open on the re-installed version.

Could it be a corrupt registry entry? Any ideas anyone?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines