• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Lightroom Classic closes after splash screen on M1 iMac running macOS 11.5.1

Explorer ,
Aug 10, 2021 Aug 10, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've downloaded creative cloud and installed. I then installed Lightroom Classic through the Creative Cloud. Whenever I try to launch Lightroom Classic it immediately closes shortly after the splash screen appears.

I spent two hours with Adobe tech support who took remote control and tried random things... NONE of which solved the issue. I'm still left WITHOUT a functioning software even though I've payed for it.

I am running a brand new Apple iMac M1 computer with Big Sur 11.5.1 .

I have already tried the recommended solution of...
1. Signing out and signing back into Creative Cloud
2. Changing the SLCache and SLStore folders to the "SLCacheold" and "SLStoreold"
3. I have uninstalled and re-installed both Creative Clould and Lightroom Classic THREE TIMES NOW

This has taken OVER four hours of my time now. I'm very frustrated.

{Thread title edited by moderator}

TOPICS
macOS

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

We're sorry about the trouble with Lightroom Classic on your M1 iMac. Please ensure that Lightroom Classic has the necessary permissions on the Mac by following the steps suggested below:

1. Go to the System Preferences for your Mac, then Security and Privacy, then select the Privacy tab.

2. Then select Accessibility from the list to the left & check if Lightroom Classic is added to the list with a check mark in front of it.

3. If Lightroom Classic is not a part of the list, please add it by unlocking the window first using the lock at the bottom left, then clicking the + icon & navigating to the Applications folder.

4. Also, grant permissions to Lightroom Classic under Full disk access located in the same list as Accessibility.

5. Once done, restart the Mac & check if it helps.

Let us know if it helps!

Regards,

Nikunj

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ok, I've done exactly as you recommended and it still does not work. When I try to launch Lightroom Classic it closes immediately after the splash screen appears.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Still not working.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

/EDIT/FOLLOWING DID NOT PAN OUT/

Following is not likely, I suspect the answer is heck no, did you not read my post, but..

1. Did you have a previous copy of Lightroom, be it Classic, or somehow the old v6, on your computer?

(an M1, so pre Catalina OS and therby possibility of a Lr v6 install extremly not likely)

Also sounds unlikely, but..

2, Do you have a pre-existing catalog on that computer, and the brand new LrC is trying to open somehow?

Both thoughts out of the box, come under the concept if but what if..

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

No and no. This is a brand new fresh computer. Thx for the suggestion though.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

/EDIT/THIS ALSO DID NOT PAN OUT/

I have uninstalled and re-installed both Creative Clould and Lightroom Classic THREE TIMES NOW

I doubt, as you have found, that the install was the issue.

But, one thing that just might be implied from an initial failure followed up by reinstall without absolute complete removal, is the first time LrC nay have basically crashed, and a bit of crud was left behind as a result. After reinstall LrC may have attempted to use that very same folder, ran into the crud, and stopped without a useful error message.

I am talking about the lock file. LrC creates the lock file upon opening to prevent multi instances of a in use catalog. LrC deletes that lock file when it closes (properly) . Supposedly you will get an error message, I have never seen that message, and I have experimented to back that up.

The first time LrC tried to start, it probably created a new catalog. This before it got to anything useful to you. When it dud so, it also created that lock file, a few other temp files, and some additional folders. When it failed, that was all left behind.

see: 

https://helpx.adobe.com/lightroom-classic/kb/lightroom-error-catalog-cannot-be-opened-lrcat-lock.htm...

And for file locations, well default file locations, see:

https://helpx.adobe.com/lightroom-classic/kb/preference-file-and-other-file-locations.html

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What would be your recommended remedy? Thanks!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Use Finder. Look in the folder the catalog would be located in. Look for that lock file. Links in above reply show what and where.

Mind you, just a hunch.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Oh, I see! Those links show me what to do. I'll try it. Stand by.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ok, when I go to that location under "pictures"... there is no Lightroom folder or anything. Just the factory Apple Photos library file. So, to be clear I don't see any "lock file" at all.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Does not sound like correct folder.

Use Finder to search on .lrcat

LrC catalogs end with .lrcat

Lock files end with .lrcat.lock

Similar, so be careful should you need to do this in the future and you have an actual working catalog.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Got  off my rear, Turned on my MACBook Pro.

Looked at file structure via Finder, at that folde

Yes Apple photos would also have a folder that location.

awaiting a reply on your search just in case.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

No such file anywhere. I'm trying to delete all Adobe files and folders and start again with a fresh install. May take me about 5 minutes or 10 minutes. Thanks for the help! I'll report back... I'm pretty pessimistic at this point.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If you are removing LrC in total, depending on method, a preference file may or may not get deleted, simple uninstall/reinstall, no.

New install on the computer, so highly doubtful the preference file is already corrupted, but..

see link below on the subject.

https://helpx.adobe.com/lightroom-classic/help/setting-preferences-lightroom.html

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

And your uninstall? via the simple method normaly taken for any app, via uninstall in the Adobe Creative Cloud Desktop App. or via the CC clean up tool?

https://helpx.adobe.com/creative-cloud/kb/cc-cleaner-tool-installation-problems.html

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Actually, I will post this reply before seeing results of previous.

I am glad to see an actual Adobe employee is responding to your posting. Adobe responding in these community pages is a recent improvement that is appreciated.

I will expand upon what nikunk.m posted

bring up the following link. It is about security for Files and Folders in MACOS Catalina, but still applies. The srticle includes additional steps that might apply.

(ref) https://nektony.com/duplicate-finder-free/folders-permission

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, all those neccessary "security" checkboxes were checked. Still not luck at all. I'm close to being finished with my 4th iteration of uninstall / re-install now.... We'll see what happens.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Did that include full access, normaly assumed to be overkill, but..

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Fresh out of ideas.

You may want to post your problem over at the official feedback site, More Techs, and some additional members

https://feedback.photoshop.com/topics/lightroom-classic/5f5f2093785c1f1e6cc40872?cType=PROBLEM&page=...

use your photoshop family account to login at that site, they added an annoying login screen.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ok, finished. Still no dice. All that happens is the splash screen appears for about 1 second and then nothing. I do notice that the splash screen says "reading preferences".  Is there a preferences folder somehwere I could check? Attached screen shot...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, mentioned prior, but perhaps poorly. See link below on the subject.

https://helpx.adobe.com/lightroom-classic/help/setting-preferences-lightroom.html

The preference file can get corrupted leading to buggy behavior. The preference file will survive updates. upgrades, uninstalls, reinstalls (well normal uninstalls). If deleated, LrC will create a new one upon startup. Deleting the preference file will result in preference settings resetting to defaults.

It is unlikely a brand new preference file would be corrupted, but what the heck.

The link includes how to do this outside if LrC, basically deleting a file

Good observation, LrC crashing, or failing soon after it starts reading the preference file is an indicator to do the above.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Found it. Deleted it. Nothing changed. Still nowhere... ugh.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

One final point I assume you already did on purpose or nave just via normal operations. Turn computer off, turn computer on.

Probably my last reply, out of ideas. Wondering why other members have not replied.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Two other ideas to try. Golding has hit all the obvious stuff. 

1. Hold the Option hey down when launching Lightroom Classic from the dock or launchpad or Finder (won't work if launching from the CC desktop app). This should bring you to a dialog asking you to choose a catalog. You should choose to create a new one. Let us know if that works. 

2.  Try creating a new user on your Mac and try running Lightroom as the new user. Let us know if that gives you different results. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines