• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Lightroom Classic crashes when trying to quit & back up catalog

Explorer ,
Aug 05, 2022 Aug 05, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have Lightroom Classic on my iMac with Monterey version 12.0.1. Just yesterday, it started crashing when I try to quit and back up my catalog. I tried restarting my computer to see if that would fix the issue, but it did not. I recently got an update notice for Lightroom Classic, so then I installed the update. I now have the 11.4.1 Release, but I am still having the same issue. Has anyone else had this issue or know how to fix it? Thanks!!

TOPICS
macOS

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Aug 05, 2022 Aug 05, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Try resetting your Lightroom preferences, that's the first step to try when LR crashes:
https://helpx.adobe.com/lightroom-classic/help/setting-preferences-lightroom.html
Also see: https://community.adobe.com/t5/lightroom-classic-discussions/important-steps-for-manually-resetting-...

Quit Lightroom Classic.
MacOS: Press and hold the Shift + Option keys.
While holding down the keys, launch Lightroom Classic.
When asked, select "Yes". 

Author “Color Management for Photographers" & "Photoshop CC Color Management/pluralsight"

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Aug 06, 2022 Aug 06, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you for your advice, but unfortunately, this did not help. This link popped up when I sumbitted the error report to Adobe:

https://helpx.adobe.com/photoshop/kb/troubleshoot-crash-or-freeze.html?trackingid=W2T7JV6Q&mv=in-pro...

That is for Photoshop, but I have tried steps 1 through 6 with no success. I updated to MacOS Monterey version 12.5. Lightroom still crashes whenever I try to quit and back up my catalog. 

This is some information copied from the error report that might be helpful to someone in diagnosing the issue:

Crashed Thread: 0 CrBrowserMain Dispatch queue: com.apple.main-thread

Exception Type: EXC_CRASH (SIGBUS)
Exception Codes: 0x0000000000000000, 0x0000000000000000
Exception Note: EXC_CORPSE_NOTIFY

Termination Reason: Namespace SIGNAL, Code 10 Bus error: 10
Terminating Process: Adobe Lightroom Classic [1674]

{"app_name":"Adobe Lightroom Classic","timestamp":"2022-08-06 14:00:55.00 -0400","app_version":"11.4.1","slice_uuid":"22a102b1-b839-30f8-9f2b-2be892f802b4","build_version":"11.4.1","platform":1,"bundleID":"com.adobe.LightroomClassicCC7","share_with_app_devs":1,"is_first_party":0,"bug_type":"309","os_version":"macOS 12.5 (21G72)","incident_id":"206F85FC-B082-4EBE-9339-A5768C57081D","name":"Adobe Lightroom Classic"}

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Aug 06, 2022 Aug 06, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Try logging into another account (you may need to make one): does it still crash?
If you boot into Safe mode (hold down Shift Key at boot): does it still crash?
Have you tried running a free utility like Onyx to see if that stops the crashing?
https://www.titanium-software.fr/en/onyx.html

Author “Color Management for Photographers" & "Photoshop CC Color Management/pluralsight"

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Aug 08, 2022 Aug 08, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks again for your help. I tried Safe Mode and that did not work. But I may have figured it out. I think my catalog was currupted somehow. I tried logging in as a guest user on my iMac and was able to back up an older catalog. So I was going to copy my current catalog over to a hard drive to open it while signed in as a guest user and see if it would back up. However, when I tried to copy the lightroom catalog file, I kept getting error code 36, "Finder can't copy the file because it can't be read or written." So I tried doing dot_clean in Terminal for that catalog file, and it came back with "no such file or directory." So I'm guessing something is wrong with the catalog. Thankfully, I back up my catalog at every close, so I am only missing one day of work. I created a new catalog for moving forward, and that seems to close and backup fine. 

Any advice on fixing a corrupt lightroom catalog file?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

In some cases, if you contact Adobe directly and request it, they can sometimes (zero guarantees) fix a corrupted catalog. 

https://www.adobe.com/about-adobe/contact.html

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Just another thought, follow the instructions from the article at the link below.

https://community.adobe.com/t5/lightroom-classic-discussions/quick-tips-how-to-give-full-disk-access...

Regards, Denis: iMac 27” mid-2015, macOS 11.7.10 Big Sur; 2TB SSD, 24 GB Ram, GPU 2 GB; LrC 12.5, Lr 6.5, PS 24.7,; ACR 15.5,; Camera OM-D E-M1

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Aug 23, 2022 Aug 23, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you both for your help. I think it ended up being a bug going between Lightroom and Photoshop through Camera Raw.  After creating my new catalog, I tried to edit a photo using Photoshop and got the attached pop-up. I realized that the last thing I did in my old catalog that kept crashing was edit a photo through Photoshop. I of course tried to update my Camera Raw first, but there was no update available and my computer said it was up to date. So I tried searching for this Camera Raw update online and found an article that said it had been released for Windows but not Mac yet. I tried the "Render using Lightoom" option and was able to successfully edit my photo, save it back in Lightroom, and close and successfully backup my catalog without Lightroom crashing. Then, just over the weekend, I received a bunch of Adobe updates, one of them being Camera Raw. I have updated everything and no longer have this pop-up, and I no longer have a problem with Lightroom crashing after taking a photo into Photoshop to edit and back into Lightroom. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Aug 23, 2022 Aug 23, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That 'error' dialog simply tells you Lightroom Classic and ACR are not on version parity. 

See: https://community.adobe.com/t5/lightroom-classic-discussions/p-mac-camera-raw-mismatch-being-reporte...

That should be fixed now as indicated above but you could also use the "Render using Lightroom". 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Aug 24, 2022 Aug 24, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It's interesting that the dates regarding the bug in that disussion you sent are from June, when I just had this issue happen a few weeks ago, with the error pop-up window showing for the first time last week, and I finally received the Adobe updates to fix it a few days ago. Does it usually take a couple of months for Adobe to roll out updates to everyone?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Update roll outs should take a day or three, not months.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Hmmm, that's interesting. I wonder why mine took so long? I use my computer for work everyday. 

Well, anyway, the problem I was having has been resolved now with the updates. Thanks again for trying to help me and offering so much advice. 🙂

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines