• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Lightroom Classic crashes with new Sonoma Update & Needs to Repair Catalog every time

Community Beginner ,
Dec 30, 2023 Dec 30, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've recently updated my Macos to Sonoma 14.1.2 and ever since this update, my Lightroom Classic has been acting up. It keep crashing and having to repair the catalog when I reopen it. It might work for an hour or a few minutes after that before it goes to crash again. 

I've tried uninstalling LR Classic and Creative Cloud completely and re-installing everything. That seemed to work for about a week. But now I'm back to the crashing and it's seriously messing with my work flow for photography and it's the middle of my busiest time of year. 

Can someone please help or give me some advice? Is there something I'm missing? 

I have a iMac M1 Desktop with the new Sonoma 14 update. I have the Lightroom Classic Desktop App. It seems when I try to batch edit with my normal preset, it glitches the system and crashes. 

Help! 

TOPICS
macOS

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Dec 30, 2023 Dec 30, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The problem that you need to repair the catalog every time is almost always caused by a malfunction somewhere, most likely your hard disk where the catalog is located has a bad sector or other problem. Run diagnostics. Consider replacing the hard disk. In the short term, if you have another disk (even an external disk), copy the catalog to there and see if the problem goes away.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jan 01, 2024 Jan 01, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hey Dj_paige, thanks for this advice. I've tried to run the repair / first aid via Disk Utility on the hard drive and it keeps saying operation failed.. Maybe that is what's happening... so I'm looking at buying the Samsung SSD 4TB to replace it. I needed to upgrade anyways... and this is the most cost effective thing to do before I go full Desktop hardrive for my storage space... I do photography full time, so things are starting to pile up... The struggle is real! haha. Hoping this fixes it! I'll return to let ya know once I've got the new hard drive going. Thanks! 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Feb 08, 2024 Feb 08, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've run into the same problem again, and this time it's saying the corrupt catalog cannot be repaired. I haven't done a backup in a few months, so this is not ideal. I do have all the photos which is great, but I'd like to have not just lost all the editing work I've just done in the last few months. I have never run into problems with lightroom until I did the last update where things starting going wrong immediately. What is happening??!?!? 

I've checked my external SSD, and after running First Aid, the drive is good, no issues. 

any help would be greatly appreciated 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Feb 08, 2024 Feb 08, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm also trying to uninstall and reinstall LR again and see what happens.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Feb 09, 2024 Feb 09, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've checked my external SSD, and after running First Aid, the drive is good, no issues.

By @Kassandra331158064pme

Is your catalog file on the external HD or the internal HD?

Honestly, I think uninstalling the software and reinstalling the software is a waste of time. This is a HD malfunction.

Not backing up your catalog via regular and automated backups is also something that you should fix immediately (if not sooner).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Totally agree with the backing up. I was able to open up the Catalog and repair it on my macbook pro laptop. The laptop is form 2013 so can only be updated to Monterey OS. I have had no problems with catalogs until I updated my OS to Sonoma which is what makes me feel like there is a glitch somewhere there... I don't know. Works fine on the laptop, going to give it a go now again my iMac. Wish me luck! 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Feb 10, 2024 Feb 10, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Totally agree with the backing up. I was able to open up the Catalog and repair it on my macbook pro laptop. The laptop is form 2013 so can only be updated to Monterey OS. I have had no problems with catalogs until I updated my OS to Sonoma which is what makes me feel like there is a glitch somewhere there... I don't know. Works fine on the laptop, going to give it a go now again my iMac. Wish me luck!

I do wish you luck. However, I would like an answer to the question I asked earlier: Is your catalog file stored on the external HD or the internal HD?

If the catalog is on the internal drive on your old Mac, I would open it again to be sure it is not corrupted and the shut down Lightroom Classic, copy the catalog file to a different drive (using Mac Finder) and then try using the copy from a different drive. No guarantees that will work if the problem is a bad hard disk.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Feb 10, 2024 Feb 10, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Thank you. The Catalog is on an external SSD. I've already been able to repair the catalog and have backed it up now everytime I close LR. Have also copied the backups and Catalog to another drive and have ordered a brand new one which should be here tomorrow. These problems only presented when I upgraded to Sonoma. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If you are having problems, thats when backups are most important. Are you writing changes to XMP files or not? Those will preserve much of the LR information but not all.

Go buy a new drive TODAY because the one you have could just die. Copy everything over and reformat. Be sure to use APFS format, *NOT* the ExFAT (Windows format) that a lot of drives come with. Reformat the new drive before you use it.

https://support.apple.com/guide/disk-utility/erase-and-reformat-a-storage-device-dskutl14079/mac

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have bought a new drive but won't arrive until Monday or Tuesday. The drive I'm using isn't that old and passed the First Aid test fine. I'll put a backup of the catalog and backups on a different hard drive for now just in case. I suspect it actually has more to do with the upgrade I did to Sonoma last month. Everything started playing up once I did that and looking at community forums here, I'm not the only one this has been affecting.

I am not sure about the XMP, but will look into that now. Thank u! 

And I'll also reformat the drives once I can move things off of them. And will do so with the new drive when it arrives. Thank you for your advice!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines