• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Lightroom Classic: Embed edits

New Here ,
Dec 29, 2020 Dec 29, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm wondering if there is a function in LR similar to one I'm used to in Photoshop. In Photoshop, you can press Ctrl + Alt + Shift + E (Command + Option + Shift +E on the Mac) to add a flattened version of the image to a new, top layer. I would like to do a similar thing in LR, so that I embed all the edits I made and at the same time reset all the panels and sliders in the Develop-module so that I can make some small tweaks with a fresh, new set of tools.

Neither the Snapshot function or Virtual Copy in LR solve this issue, as I also which to reset the sliders (especially the tone curve), without changing my previous edits.

I currently have the following workflow in LR:

1. Import and edit the RAW-files in LR, where I fix white balance, exposure, crop and so on for each individual image.

2. Exporting the files I'm happy with as full resolution TIFF-files.

3. Making some small tweaks to all my selected images, mainly in the tone curve, to make the images feel cohesive.

4. Exporting the TIFF-files to JPG, with a resolution and compression adjusted for it's purpose (print, facebook, instagram and so on).

The solution I'm looking for would replace step 2, and save me a lot of disk space and time.

Thanks!

Fredrik

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I think virtual copies are what you want. After you create or a virtual copy (or a snapshot), clicking the Reset button gets you all the sliders zeroed.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

Thank you for your reply, but unfortunately no - it does not get me the result I want.
In the image I attach below you can see an example of an image I made some basic adjustments on (white balance, exposure and tone curve), and then created a virtual copy of. All the sliders are the same on the virtual copy as the original. But, my goal is to have the same adjustments, but with all the sliders restored to 0.

Hope this clarify what I mean?

1.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Unfortunately, Lightroom Classic does not work that way. If you, for example, add +10 to contrast, then Lightroom Classic needs +10 there, it can't be reset to 0 without changing the appearance of the image.

And honestly, I don't really see a reason why these sliders have to be reset to zero for your additional edits; just because other software does this doesn't mean its needed in Lightroom Classic.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I see.

The workaround that I do today (step 2: export the image with my basic edits, and step 3: import it to make some small tweaks to make a set of images feel cohesive) is still a viable option, but the solution I'm looking for would save me a lot of disk space and time.

Thanks anyway!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Well, as far as I can see, you can skip steps 2 and 3 and still save the edits and make cohesive tweaks. I don't see why it has to be tweaks using a slider set at zero. It seems to me you are creating a requirement that isn't necessary and causes you to do a lot of extra work.

In addition, if by "small tweaks to make a set of images feel cohesive", you mean adding (for example) +10 in contrast and +5 in temperature to every photo, this can be done in the Quick Develop panel (if that's what you mean, but you don't really say what you mean)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Also you can Export the image you have edited to a TIF that has all the edits in it up to that point and in a way IS Flattened.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You can make, Create, a Virtual Copy once you have made whatever edits you want and that VC will preserve all those edits or you can take a Snapshot of the image and that also will preserve the edits up to that point. you can have multiple snapshots that yoy can always go back to.

LrC does not have Layers and there is No Flattening of an image in LrC.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

"All the sliders are the same on the virtual copy as the original. But, my goal is to have the same adjustments, but with all the sliders restored to 0."

You can do this using a Graduated Filter dragged off the canvas so it is applied to the whole image. You can even create a Develop Preset for applying it.

Graduated Filter.jpg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 30, 2020 Dec 30, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Hi Todd,

That is a great advice, thank you!

But even if the graduation filter (and brush tool) has seen some great improvement last couple of years and would work great if I simply wanted to fix the exposure in my first, basic edit, I really can't imagine adjusting colors without a tone curve or at least the HSL-module. I'll keep an eye open in the future, hoping that we'll see an upgrade of the gradient and/or brush tool with access to a tone curve as well.

This is probably the next best thing for now though, so again - thank you.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines