• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Lightroom Classic Erased Files From My Hard Drive

Community Beginner ,
Dec 17, 2021 Dec 17, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I was editing photos in Lightroom Classic 11.0.  The image files were not in my catalog--when I imported the images into my catalog I did not move the files.  I selected 8 images (.NEF) and then right-clicked Edit > Edit in Adobe Photoshop 2022.  Lightroom hung at that point.  I retried that two more times.  I closed and re-opened Photoshop and tried once more to edit the images, but again Photoshop did not open.  I rebooted my computer.  Then, when I tried to edit one image, Lightroom said the image was missing.  I checked the contents of the folder that contained the images and indeed that file was missing along with four or five other files, some of which I had never attempted to edit in Photoshop.  The .xmp files remained on the hard drive.  The .NEF files are not in my recycle bin.  I tried searching my hard drive but the missing files are not there.  I tried using EaseUS Data Recovery Wizard to find them on my hard drive but sadly those irreplacable images no longer exist.

TOPICS
Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Dec 18, 2021 Dec 18, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Lightroom Classic does not move or delete your photo files on its own. Even given the hanging issues mentioned, there simply is no feature programmed into LrC to move or delete photos on its own.

When you said you tried searching for the missing photos, do you mean you used your operating system's search feature to do the search? Or do you mean you yourself looked in a lot of folders and couldn't find them?

I don't know what happened to your photos. I am 100% sure Lightroom Classic did not do this. The best suggestion I can give you is to have backups of all of your photos before you work on them.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is totally unusal. I have never seen Lightroom delete the files. My solution to this issue is that my catalog harddrive is actaully my dropbox folder too. So everytime i copy or move images to my catalog harddrive they also copy to dropbox in the cloud. So all my images are on my local harddrive but also are always backing up to dropbox. I never even have to think about backing up it is automatic. Drop Box can actually retrieve any deleted file from as old as 30 days. So maybe try to include a back up solution in your work flow.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've never heard about that. LR (and Photoshop) doesn't delete photos by itself.

Have you check you hard drive? It seems that there's a fault.

My System: Intel i7-8700K - 64GB RAM - NVidia Geforce RTX 3060 - Windows 10 Pro 22H2 -- LR-Classic 13.2 - Photoshop 25.6 - Nik Collection 6.9 - PureRAW 4 - Topaz Photo AI 2

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sorry to hear about your challenge. As others have said, unless you initiated a REMOVE PHOTO with DELETE FROM DISK, LrC  should not lose pictures.

You said "The .xmp files remained on the hard drive." but yet the NEF files are gone. Could I suggest you look at the XMP files and see what the name of the files are they are associated with? Here's an example. I'm hoping somehow the files have just been renamed.

DS256_1-1639833913672.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 16, 2024 Jan 16, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The same thing is happening to me

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Jan 16, 2024 Jan 16, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

May I ask you to provide details, as if this were a totally new thread? We see people say "same thing" all the time, and yet very often it is a different problem with a different solution. So please explain your problem from scratch.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines