• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Lightroom Classic exports incorrect metadata

Community Beginner ,
Aug 02, 2021 Aug 02, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have an Olympus OM-D E-M5. Olympus cameras have an annoying habit of automatically adding "OLYMPUS DIGITAL CAMERA" to the Caption metadata field. I've long had an import setting that automatically overwrote that field, which continutes to work correctly.

However, recently, I've noticed that when I export to JPEG (with Include All Metadata and Remove Person Info checked), the export will include "OLYMPUS DIGITAL CAMERA" in the caption, even though that doesn't appear in my Lightroom Classic Metadata box at all. If I manually add a caption, the correct caption will be exported. However, if I delete the caption and try exporting again, "OLYMPUS DIGITAL CAMERA" will appear again.

This has been driving me nuts. If anyone has any advice, I'd much appreciate it!

TOPICS
macOS

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Perhaps a metdata conflict occured, or metadata did not get saved properly. and you need to fix that or manually save metadata changes to file

https://helpx.adobe.com/lightroom-classic/help/advanced-metadata-actions.html

https://helpx.adobe.com/lightroom-classic/help/metadata-basics-actions.html

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for the suggestions! I'm already automatically write metadata to XMP files. I read through the advanced actions, and my metadata status fields all say that the metadata is up to date.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

When you export from Lightroom Classic the metadata that will be exported is the info from the Catalog file, not the info in the file. To wit Lightroom Classic is stand alone application and does not need you to have any other Adobe application installed on your computer.

Writing metadata to the file is not the Lightroom Classic default, it is an option that allows you to share the data with other Adobe Applications and other third party apps.

Regards, Denis: iMac 27” mid-2015, macOS 11.7.10 Big Sur; 2TB SSD, 24 GB Ram, GPU 2 GB; LrC 12.5, Lr 6.5, PS 24.7,; ACR 15.5,; Camera OM-D E-M1

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm assuming that Metadata Status "Up to date" means that the catalog and XMP metadata are all synchronized, no?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Quote, “ I'm assuming that Metadata Status "Up to date" means that the catalog and XMP metadata are all synchronized, no?“

Where do you get that info from the Lightroom menu?

Regards, Denis: iMac 27” mid-2015, macOS 11.7.10 Big Sur; 2TB SSD, 24 GB Ram, GPU 2 GB; LrC 12.5, Lr 6.5, PS 24.7,; ACR 15.5,; Camera OM-D E-M1

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I also shoot RAW files from my Digital camera and this is the info I get displayed in the Metadata panel. That is basic info that is applied at import.

Screenshot 2021-08-02 at 8.07.00 PM.png

When you are doing an export there are options to choose from the export dialog panel. If you are aware that there may be additional data available from another application in the file then you can use the option to "read metadata from the file" this will not happen automatically.

Screenshot 2021-08-02 at 8.14.52 PM.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for the info! In my Metadata panel, the Caption field is empty, but the exported file still behaves as originally explained. I have "All Metadata" selected in my Export options.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

See the attached link for basic info on saving metadata to the file in Lightroom Classic

https://helpx.adobe.com/lightroom-classic/help/metadata-basics-actions.html#:~:text=Choose%20Edit%20....

Hope this provides some help in structuring your workflow.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for this link. I have my metadata automatically written to XMP files, and the Metadata panel doesn't show "OLYMPUS DIGITAL CAMERA" in any of the fields.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Aug 03, 2021 Aug 03, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Ok I checked and that is an editable field, I do not recall ever having made a change but it may be how I setup up Lightroom when I started using in 2007.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines