• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Lightroom Classic fail to import photos (enough space available)

Community Beginner ,
Sep 05, 2021 Sep 05, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello,

I've been running an older version of Lightroom for a long time, and recently moved to Lightroom Classic (I'm on Win7).

I successfully migrated my catalogs, but now when I want to import photos, I get a message telling me I don't have enough space or the right permissions to write in the destination folder.

However, I checked with my older lightroom and it works without any problem.

Also Lightroom Classic is telling me that I don't have the writing permissions, but it successfully created subfolders (with the date) in there. So how can it create subfolders, but not have permission to write in them?

Thank you.

TOPICS
Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Beginner , Sep 05, 2021 Sep 05, 2021

I restarted my computer, and after importing photo into Lightroom, my antivirus poped-up, telling me that Lightroom was trying to modify some files (my raw photos), and asked me if it is allowed or not. So I said yes, and now I can import photos.

For some reasons, my AV was silent before, but still preventing Lightroom to copy files.

Thanks anyway.

Votes

Translate

Translate
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

1. Where do you keep your catalog?
  2. How much free space in percent (%) is available on that hard drive.
  3. Where do you keep your photos?
  4. How much free space in GB is available on that drive?
  5. In the folder you keep the photos on, under security, are you the owner?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you for you answer.

1. My catalogs are in a secondary drive (but still internal).

2. I have about 5% of free space (about 17GB out of 350GB)

3. My photos are on my SD card for now, but I want to copy them on my hard drive when importing

4. About 17GB

5. I can create new documents, so yes. And LR Classic can create subfolder.

What I don't get is why Lightroom 6.5.1 can import them without any issue (like I always did), while Lightroom Classic can't?

Thanks.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Also, for now I just try to import 1 photo, so although I don't have much space left (still 17GB), it should be way more than enough for a single photo.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have about 5% of free space (about 17GB out of 350GB)

Typically, for the catalog, a minimum of 20% is looked for, some say 25%. 5% is a problem, not nessacarily your current problem.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Is this new in Lightroom Classic? Because Lightroom 6.5 can import photo at this location, on this drive?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

3. My photos are on my SD card for now, but I want to copy them on my hard drive when importing

Ok, my bad, how much physical free space on the hard drive you want to import the photos to?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

One photo, and drive you are importing to apparently has 17GB?

If the camera took, say, 24 Mega Pixel images, then it could easily take up 45 MB of hard drive space, so yes, way less than 17 GB.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I restarted my computer, and after importing photo into Lightroom, my antivirus poped-up, telling me that Lightroom was trying to modify some files (my raw photos), and asked me if it is allowed or not. So I said yes, and now I can import photos.

For some reasons, my AV was silent before, but still preventing Lightroom to copy files.

Thanks anyway.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

ahh, yep, you need to tell the AV to allow LrC.

You have solved your own problem. Reccomend you select your reply, and mark it as answered.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Curiosity, what happens if before you import in LrC, you copy the photo to the appropriate hard drive, in the appropriate folder first, using your file manager (nit LrC). Then, in LrC, import using the ADD method as opposed to Copy as DNG, or Copy, etc.?

• Use your OS file manager to copy photto from SD card into folder on hard drive
  • Any prroblem?
  • Bring up LrC, select import, select the photo, choise Add.
  • Any problem?
  • Click import
  • Any problem?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines