• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Lightroom Classic: GPU acceleration enabled slow/lag in Develop when zoomed at 100%

Explorer ,
Aug 29, 2021 Aug 29, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Lightroom Classic 10.3 and 10.4, panning lags at 100%, any idea how to fix it or what seems to be the issue?

I have to mention I have Windows 10 Pro with all the latest updates installed, latest Nvidia drivers and Adobe Lightroom updated, not sure what I can do to fix it.

Only in Develop mode i have the issue with the lag when zooming to 100%, in Library mode is working just fine.

TOPICS
Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What size in pixels is your monitor? What size in pixels are the original images?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I don't see the connection but ohhh well, I will answer for the sake of it. My monitor resolution is 2560 x 1440 and my images are from Canon 5D Mark 4, 6720 x 4480 pixels.

My computer configuration is:

Ryzen 9 5950X

ASUS ROG Crosshair Viii Dark Hero

Nvidia RTX 3900 FE

G.Skill 64 GB Trident Z Royal DDR4-3600MHz CL14-15-15-35

Seasonic TX-1000

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have Windows 10 Pro with all the latest updates installed, latest Nvidia drivers and Adobe Lightroom updated

That word, latest, often considered a dirty filthy word, often wrong, Oh, you clearly stated LrC v10.4, but the rest?

Please post your System Information as Lightroom Classic (LrC) reports it. In LrC click on Help, then System Info, then Copy. Paste that information into a reply. Please present all information from first line down to and including Plug-in Info. Info after Plug-in info can be cut as that is just so much dead space to us non-Techs.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Lightroom Classic version: 10.4 [ 202108071231-af9219b9 ]
License: Creative Cloud
Language setting: en
Operating system: Windows 10 - Business Edition
Version: 10.0.19043
Application architecture: x64
System architecture: x64
Logical processor count: 32
Processor speed: 3.4GHz
SqLite Version: 3.34.0
Built-in memory: 65449.6 MB
Real memory available to Lightroom: 65449.6 MB
Real memory used by Lightroom: 2391.8 MB (3.6%)
Virtual memory used by Lightroom: 7419.9 MB
GDI objects count: 764
USER objects count: 2561
Process handles count: 2718
Memory cache size: 11.4MB
Internal Camera Raw version: 13.4 [ 872 ]
Maximum thread count used by Camera Raw: 5
Camera Raw SIMD optimization: SSE2,AVX,AVX2
Camera Raw virtual memory: 815MB / 32724MB (2%)
Camera Raw real memory: 949MB / 65449MB (1%)
System DPI setting: 96 DPI
Desktop composition enabled: Yes
Displays: 1) 2560x1440, 2) 1920x1080, 3) 1920x1080
Input types: Multitouch: No, Integrated touch: No, Integrated pen: No, External touch: No, External pen: No, Keyboard: No

Graphics Processor Info:
DirectX: NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 (30.0.14.7141)

Application folder: C:\Program Files\Adobe\Adobe Lightroom Classic
Library Path: E:\_Lightroom Catalog_\CATALOG\CATALOG-3-2-v10.lrcat
Settings Folder: C:\Users\DaLiu\AppData\Roaming\Adobe\Lightroom

DaLiu_0-1630262221755.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Also, please post a screenshot from LrC /preferences/performance/

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Multiple users reported same issue here but for some days we cannot post on that forum anymore so I moved the topic here since Lightroom 10.4 was released and the issue is still not fixed:

https://community.adobe.com/t5/lightroom-classic/lightroom-classic-gpu-acceleration-enabled-slow-lag...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

1. CAMERA RAW SIZE

Your Camera RAW CACHE setting is set to default. The default value of 5GB, is much too low. This will affect develop module performance (not library module performance)

try something more like 20 GB, heck, if you have the space, just bump up to something like 70GB.

2. CAMERA RAW LOCATION

A Windows PC, do you have another hard drive to place the Camera RAW CACHE on? The Camera RAW CACHE and the Windows paging file will compete for read/wrights if on the same drive. LrC can see performance benefits if the Camera RAW CACHE is nit on C drive, and can take advantage of faster drives.

I see you placed the catalog on drive E. Is that a nice SSD? Both the catalog and the CACHE can leverage a fast drive (photos not)

https://helpx.adobe.com/lightroom-classic/kb/optimize-performance-lightroom.html

https://fstoppers.com/originals/dramatically-speed-lightroom-performance-500071

https://digital-photography-school.com/10-tips-to-improve-lightrooms-speed-and-performance-without-a...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Doesn't matter what value I set there, I tried 15 GB, no help.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Try 70GB, and Purge the CACHE, and restart LrC.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If I disable graphic acceleration the develop module will work smoothly but this is not a solution, have to mention I tried multiple version of Nvidia drivers and nore are solving the issue, also had to mention I am not the only with the same problem.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The use graphics processor option is primarily for 4K and beyond. Using it when sub 4K may have no performance improvements. Using it sub 4K on much older GPU's can slow LrC down, and can cause odd issues. Clearly your GPU is not old.

https://photographylife.com/gpu-acceleration-in-lightroom

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

My Windows drive is an WD Black SN850 NVMe which supports speed up to 7000 mb/s read and write, im pretty sure that's not the issue since I'm using same setting for many years and I encounted this problem only recently.

All my drives are very fast drives, not using any mechanical drives to store anything related to Adobe.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Check your Windows OS power savings for any changes back to defaults that may have occured via a OS update. (Change Power Settings to High Performance to Optimize Speed)

Check your NVIDIA controll settings for similar, and while you are at it update the driver (yous new enough to not be the cause) latest would be v471.68 not v471.41

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This problem is occuring more than 1 month ago, already tried several Nvidia drivers, power saving is ok, nothing to modify, this is an issue with Lightroom since its working fine in Library mode , I need professional help not by guessing and sending me links with Lightroom optimizations from 6 years ago, clearly there is something wrong with Lightroom since in Library mode the paning at 100% is smooth but in Develop mode is not.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

this is an issue with Lightroom since its working fine in Library mode ,

Performance in Library module vs Develop module is not viable comparison. The Library module uses Library previews, these are small raster files. The Develop module uses the Camera RAW CACHE to store previews on the fly. Each time you add another edit, that preview gets recreated, and it gets recreated moving thru each and every edit till it gets to the last one, some of the edits are more complex, any mods via Adjustment Brushes are especially nasty. (Adobe actually recommends doing those near to last), if you are displaying at 4K and beyond, this gets very nasty, each and every pixel is recreated, one edit at a time. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I dont have a 4k monitor and on my 2k monitor I could work properly beyond Lightroom 10.2.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Did you try the latest Studio driver with Clean Install checked in Advanced mode.

NVIDIA Studio Driver

Driver Version: 471.68 - Release Date: Tue Aug 10, 2021

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Aug 30, 2021 Aug 30, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

No issue in 10.2 with or without GPU enabled

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Oct 06, 2021 Oct 06, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am also experiencing this issue. I also chatted with adobe support about the problem, and he said that it could be related to my monitor as it’s been shown to experience flickering issues in some situations. I have not had any flickering issues until this point. However, it’s not just the slowness for me I am also experiencing flicking in some of the menus including file, edit, develop, etc. I also experience slowdowns in all areas of the program! Not just when developing, even exiting the program takes absolutely forever.

I really don't think this comes down to my monitor as everything was working fine a couple days ago. Suddenly upon launching lightroom classic I get slowness and flickering in menus. I turned off GPU acceleration in the preferences menu and everything works fine! No flickering and no slowdowns. Can anyone help me find a fix? I am worried that not having GPU acceleration will reduce my performance within the program.

I just built my PC with some pretty beefy components, so I really don't think this comes down to a hardware issue. I have also tried using the latest Nvidia Game Ready driver, and the latest Studio Driver. I also updated my main monitors firmware to the latest edition.

Specs:
Main Monitor with lightroom displayed: Samsung Odyssey G7 27inch Gaming monitor with HDR and GSYNC enabled
Second Monitor: Dell Gaming S2716DGR 27.0 GSYNC enabled
CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 5900x
GPU: Nvidia GTX 1080ti Founders Edition
SSD: Samsung 850 EVO 250GB SSD
    Version 21H1
    Installed on ‎10/‎1/‎2021
    OS build 19043.1266
    Experience Windows Feature Experience Pack 120.2212.3920.0

-----------------------------------------------------------

System info from lightroom:

Lightroom Classic version: 10.4 [ 202108071231-af9219b9 ]
License: Creative Cloud
Language setting: en
Operating system: Windows 10 - Home Premium Edition
Version: 10.0.19043
Application architecture: x64
System architecture: x64
Logical processor count: 24
Processor speed: 3.7GHz
SqLite Version: 3.34.0
Built-in memory: 32711.1 MB
Real memory available to Lightroom: 32711.1 MB
Real memory used by Lightroom: 1630.1 MB (4.9%)
Virtual memory used by Lightroom: 3009.7 MB
GDI objects count: 832
USER objects count: 1919
Process handles count: 2187
Memory cache size: 109.2MB
Internal Camera Raw version: 13.4 [ 872 ]
Maximum thread count used by Camera Raw: 5
Camera Raw SIMD optimization: SSE2,AVX,AVX2
Camera Raw virtual memory: 540MB / 16355MB (3%)
Camera Raw real memory: 611MB / 32711MB (1%)
System DPI setting: 96 DPI
Desktop composition enabled: Yes
Displays: 1) 2560x1440, 2) 2560x1440
Input types: Multitouch: No, Integrated touch: No, Integrated pen: No, External touch: No, External pen: No, Keyboard: No

Graphics Processor Info:
DirectX: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1080 Ti (30.0.14.7212)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am worried that not having GPU acceleration will reduce my performance within the program.

Typically, GPU acceleration is only needed if you have a 4K or larger monitor, which you do not have. If you are not having such a performance issue, then what is the issue?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I run my monitors at 1440p, I wasn’t sure what the impact would be. It's just frustrating to have it work fine on Monday but as soon as I booted it up yesterday it was slow with GPU acceleration turned on. I was hoping there wasn’t something wrong with my monitor or lightroom itself. Sorry I am new to the program, and I am unsure as to how much of a difference it makes.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Oct 13, 2021 Oct 13, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Go back to version 10.2 for now.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines