• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Lightroom Classic Import Hangs Up - Freezes on the Import Screen

Explorer ,
Oct 12, 2018 Oct 12, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I installed the newest version of Lightroom Classic yesterday and now I can't import images. Before this everything was fine. I could import images with no issue. Now when I go to import the circle in the lower left hand corner spins 1ce and then the application freezes. I can't choose an external or internal device to import from, because the application just freezes. I can drag and drop using Windows Explorer and then synchronize the parent folder and it will import, but I can't use the import function.

c2.JPG

I have tried uninstalling, cleaning my registry, and reinstalling after a reboot. I've tried simply rebooting. I've tested the integrity of the catalog. I've created a new catalog. I've reset my preferences. I've killed all processes and restarted all Adobe. I've tried starting from the desktop shortcut, starting using the CC app, starting by clicking on the catalog, and starting as administrator. I've signed in and out of the CC app. Nothing has worked.

If I click on the program it grays out and says it's not responding and asks if I would like to wait or kill the program. I've left it waiting for an hour to no avail.

This wasn't an issue before, but I've now spent the better part of 2 hours on this issue. My specs are listed below. Nothing on my system has changed since the update. No additional drives have been used. The card I'm trying to import from is fine. I've tried other cards. Same issue.

Lightroom Classic version: 7.5 [ 1186149 ]

License: Creative Cloud

Language setting: en

Operating system: Windows 10 - Enterprise Edition

Version: 10.0.17134

Application architecture: x64

System architecture: x64

Logical processor count: 12

Processor speed: 3.3 GHz

Built-in memory: 24476.0 MB

Real memory available to Lightroom: 24476.0 MB

Real memory used by Lightroom: 5863.5 MB (23.9%)

Virtual memory used by Lightroom: 6836.8 MB

GDI objects count: 734

USER objects count: 2026

Process handles count: 2913

Memory cache size: 4710.0MB

Internal Camera Raw revision: 1001

Maximum thread count used by Camera Raw: 5

Camera Raw SIMD optimization: SSE2,AVX,AVX2

Camera Raw virtual memory: 1892MB / 12238MB (15%)

Camera Raw real memory: 1903MB / 24476MB (7%)

System DPI setting: 96 DPI

Desktop composition enabled: Yes

Displays: 1) 2560x1080, 2) 2560x1080

Input types: Multitouch: No, Integrated touch: No, Integrated pen: Yes, External touch: No, External pen: Yes, Keyboard: No

Graphics Processor Info:

DirectX: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1060 3GB (23.21.13.9135)

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Oct 12, 2018 Oct 12, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Update. Lightroom now also freezes on export. If I try to choose a folder, it simply freezes. I can't click on or move any of the windows. Lightroom also disappears as a process from the task manager, so I can't end process on the application to kill it. This is a big problem. Import and export are core functions of the program. Why are they not working with this update? Again, this was working yesterday before I updated to the new version of LR.

c3.JPG

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Oct 15, 2018 Oct 15, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi DJLCreative,

Sorry that Lightroom Classic CC 7.5 is freezing while importing and exporting images.

As you've mentioned a lot of troubleshooting has already been done to no avail. One thing that comes to my mind is: Have you tried removing all the external devices (like external hard drive, Camera, SD card, Card reader, Phone or Tablet) and then tried importing images directly from the desktop or exporting directly to your local drive?

Also, uncheck the option "use graphics processor" under the Preferences > Performance menu in Lightroom and see if that helps. More troubleshooting info can be found here: Adobe Lightroom GPU Troubleshooting and FAQ

Another suggestion: take a look at this article Troubleshoot Adobe Lightroom problems, issues, or bugs ​

Let us know how it goes.

Thanks,

Akash

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Oct 27, 2018 Oct 27, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've tried removing the devices, but not the "use graphics processor" option. The issue with removing all devices is that I'm a web developer and I have several virtual mapped devices - server folders mapped as drives and that type of thing. They show up first under the devices section of the import screen. It's not possible to unmap them without considerable issues, and it's never been an issue before.

I am trying to import as we speak and I'm still having the issue. I'm going to restart LR and uncheck the graphics processor option. I appreciate the input. Thank you! I'll let you know how it goes.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Oct 28, 2018 Oct 28, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So, I have tried the above recommended fixes and Lightroom Import still does not work. This is super frustrating.

I first unplugged all external devices, with the exception of my keyboard and mouse peripherals. I tried importing and it froze on the import screen. I then restarted and unchecked the graphics processor option, then restarted LR. It still froze on the import screen.

Because my LR catalog is on an external drive, this is a freshly created catalog on my C: drive in the Pictures folder, where LR creates the default catalog. This is a huge problem as I save all of my images to a 24TB NAS unit that connects externally and by network to my system. I have tried disconnecting that from the network and computer as well.

I am very frustrated. I shouldn't have to do this. It's ridiculous that this has taken up so many hours of my time, and yet Adobe will still charge me 80$ this month for software that doesn't work.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Nov 05, 2018 Nov 05, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I had the same problem last week. But I finally got a folder of images imported. I don't know how. This week I am developing these images and LR suddenly switches to import and hangs. I have to close and restart. I have researched everywhere I can think of on the web and nobody seems to have a satisfactory answer. I think that the answer is there is a bug in v. 8 and Adobe is not expending any effort to fix it. This is ridiculous for the price I am paying.  I have searched for an alternative program but I keep deciding that LR is the best out there. When is Adobe going to give us users the service we need?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Nov 05, 2018 Nov 05, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So, many if the normal suspects:

Hardware issue, GPU failing, Hard drive failing, etc

OS issue (like all the MAC OS Mojave that is going on), yes, I know, Windows not MAC. OS updates current?

Driver issues, related to hardware issues, GPU driver up to date?

Registry issues, typically in something like this, left over detritus from previous installs/updates,

Third party, in this case plug-ins not behaving well

Now a bit of caution on my part. I take No responsibility to results of anything that follows. And if your Information Technology skill set is that if a normal person, perhaps going to a computer tech would be best.

Moving on.

(1) You mentioned uninstalling Lightroom, Most would just bring up the Adobe Creative Cloud Desktop application, and remove it from their, in addition, did you use Windows application removal to remove any extra copies (versions).

Did you also go into Windows explorer (file mgt) and look for detrus in C:/Programs Files and for old 16 bit stuff C:/Program Files (86). Warning, have backups of presets, plug-ins, catalogs, etc.

You mentioned cleaning the registry, with a maintanc/repair app?? Or hardcore go in and edit?

(2) Does looking at your event viewer indicate anything?

(3) I notice in your task manager several items not running in background, anything going odd their?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Nov 06, 2018 Nov 06, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for trying. I just don’t think it is any of the usual suspects. My computer is new; I keep my Windows up to date; I don’t mess with registry; I don’t have any plug-ins and I have not yet installed any presets I have. If you try to uninstall with Programs and Features it takes you to CC anyway. According to CC you can only have one version of LR on your computer at one time. I am going to call Adobe in a few minutes.

Best Regards,

Norton

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 18, 2019 Jan 18, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I had a similar hang problem, and the only way I can get around it is to disconnect my external USB backup drives before selecting Import in LR.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jan 27, 2019 Jan 27, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hey, I got this nuisance fixed.  I reset preferences by going to users/user/AppData/Roaming/Adobe/Lightroom/Preferences/.  I then removed the file [Lightroom Classic CC 7 Preferences.agprefs] by dragging it to the recycle bin.  I shut down Lightroom and rebooted the computer and restarted Lightroom.  I clicked on import and got an immediate response with the import dialog boxes.  No freezes...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 11, 2020 May 11, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This actually worked!! Thank you so much!!! 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 27, 2020 Sep 27, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I don't know how you found this, but I just had the same issue and this worked for me.  Thanks!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 29, 2021 Nov 29, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I had the same issue and this also worked for me! Thank you SO much!!!!! 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 16, 2022 Jun 16, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

3 years later this bug is still around and this still solution still worked for me!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 08, 2022 Jul 08, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks a lot. You're a genius!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Sep 24, 2022 Sep 24, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

And this fixed it in Sep 2022!!! Thanks a ton!

@ m e l a n k a y a

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Sep 27, 2022 Sep 27, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is still happening in September 2022. Thank you for the tip--it worked for me.  It would be great if Adobe would actually use fix their software instead of just pocketing our monthly subscription fees with minimal updates for years.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 19, 2022 Nov 19, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Give this man an award!!! Todays date is 11/19/22 the new folder is, "C drive for windows, program files, Adobe. When you open the folder on the top right side search for the word preferences. Look for the file that highlights should say, "adobe bridge opener preferences" delete the file with the oldies year, like I have a 2021 and a 2022. Just delete the latest one and BAM no more problems!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 03, 2022 Dec 03, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Genius, worked for me 12-3-22

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 16, 2023 Mar 16, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you!!! still the same issue in 2023! Messed up after Lr update. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 30, 2023 Mar 30, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

03/30/23 today... had this issue for a few days and tried everything. But this! This worked! Thank you so much

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

A few things noticed when going thru all the above comments.

1. Are your preview folders in the same place as your catalog? I noticed a drive H with just the lrdata not the lrcat. See tip 4 and 6 https://digitalphotographycourses.co.za/getting-more-speed-in-lightroom-classic-cc/

2. Apparently running LR thru a NAS is very problematic. Now, I understand you want to place the catalog and perhaps the previews on the NAS as to have access from another computer. But what if they were on a drive in or connected to (ext hdid) the computer?

3. Where are you keeping your Cameta RAW CACHE? This would only come into issue in develop. If that is on the NAS, not so great. No reason to share that. See tip 3 10 Tips to Improve Lightroom's Speed and Performance Without Additional Hardware. (Tip 8 no longer applicable)

4. Where do you keep your images. They can be internal hdd, external hdd,  probably on the NAS, but if on the NAS, perhaps using smart previews would help. And if on an external hdd smart previews as well in case the ext hdd is not connected.

——————————

searching via google, everything points to the catalog cannot be on a NAS, it has to be local, so, if I assumed you placed the catalog on a NAS, then that is wrong. If your previews are on the NAS, move them to local.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

By the way, what was the previous LR version?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 10, 2019 Apr 10, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I had the same issue and was able to fix it by temporarily moving all the .XMP files out from the folder which was being imported. Afterwards I moved them back and ran the [Metadata->Read Metadata from Files] command manually. Deleting the .agprefs file did not work for me. Hope that helps.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 23, 2019 Nov 23, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Having exactly the same issue. Since the latest update, lightroom "not responding"is the normal issue. You subsequently cannot close it down. I have rebuilt catelogues and performed everything I believed may have improved the situation to no avail. Adobe, you are getting a real pain in the arse on updates!! I really need to look for an alternative piece of software which gives value for my monthly subscription. I have tried a new PC, loaded software from scratch and still get thye issue. So I sympathise with your problem

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines