• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Lightroom Classic - import progresses till certain point and then ... no real progress

Community Beginner ,
Mar 20, 2021 Mar 20, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It is Lightroom Classic (not CC) version 10.2, Camera Raw 13.2

I'm rebuilding my catalog.

In a nutshell I am importing relatively big number of photos (150k+) into the catalog. It is a fresh import.

The behavior is the same every time I start the import:

Import starts, it progresses to some point and then no further visible progress.

Looking on the disk’s activity - nothing happens on the disc/network side.

Catalog seats on separated nmve SSD with sufficient disk space (400GB+ free, system SSD has 300GB+)

System: i9 CPU; 32GB RAM; Windows 10; Images are on the NAS with fast dedicated network.

Lightroom manages to import portion of images and then stops doing anything. The portion could be 1000, or it can be 15.000 images at once. Leaving the system for few hours, or 1,5 day – the result is the same: portion is imported and then it stops doing much.
When this stage is reached, Lightroom power and CPU consumption goes down to ~2-4%. Usually it happens when Lightroom occupies 15-18Gb of RAM.

The lightroom has not been able to import all images at the single run.

It is easier to interrupt (pressing the red square next to the progress bar on the top left side of the screen) and restart the process - this gives much higher "number of images per hour".

Any idea why this happens? What could be done to improve the process speed and stability?

TOPICS
Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Aug 16, 2021 Aug 16, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

"This is an unusually high number of images for one import. What file type?"

Most of them RAW files from the camera (imported to the dedicated catalog some time back).

as I have stated - I had new PC, reinstalled Adobe products - and have decided instead of exporting / importing catalog - reimport all that (also because I also keep the settings / edits for each image file on the files system).

Unfortunately I experinece this "incomplete import" issue when I need to import high number of files - e.g. when I come from the sport event where I have shooted multiple games - this is the most obvious case, there are some others.

I expect system being able to process any number of files at once, at lease giving me the reasonable status of the situation.

"You, state the drive is 400+GB what makes you believe the space on that drive is sufficient?"

I simply check / monitor the system state, system logs and the Explorer showing me the free space - this basics have never failed on me.

At this moment Lightroom takes disk space:
- ~316 GB

- 167.669 Files

- 59.927 Folders
The system reports 614GB out of 931GB of free space

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ok I just have one additional thought. I still suspect that your system resourses is just insufficient to complete the 150,000 K image import in one go. Try the following first make sure the image files are located on disk in the desired folder structure, this may need to be done using your operating system.

When doing the import use the Add option at import, not the Copy or Move options as this will require additional system resourses.

Regards, Denis: iMac 27” mid-2015, macOS 11.7.10 Big Sur; 2TB SSD, 24 GB Ram, GPU 2 GB; LrC 12.5, Lr 6.5, PS 24.7,; ACR 15.5,; Camera OM-D E-M1

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

"When doing the import use the Add option at import"

That's exactly the process I follow.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Have you tried reducing the size of the previews at import and ensuring there is sufficient disk space to accomodate the Catalog file and the new previews files?

Regards, Denis: iMac 27” mid-2015, macOS 11.7.10 Big Sur; 2TB SSD, 24 GB Ram, GPU 2 GB; LrC 12.5, Lr 6.5, PS 24.7,; ACR 15.5,; Camera OM-D E-M1

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines