Dedicated community for Korean speakers

Lightroom Classic mask panel "turn off masks" toggle switch glitch

Community Beginner ,
Dec 21, 2022 Dec 21, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Lightroom Classic 12.1 Release

Mac OS Monterey 12.6

When I apply a radial gradient in the masking panel and click the "turn off masks" switch to compare the before/after, it deselects the mask and makes my mouse arrow jump down the panel  

TOPICS
macOS

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Mac specific I think, not experienced on Windows.

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am not able to replicate this on Mac either. Perhaps you could post a short video showing what's happening?

Rikk Flohr - Customer Advocacy: Adobe Photography Products

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks - here's a screen recording of the glitch (It's happening with the brush tool as well, not just radial gradient).

When I click the toggle switch for "turn off mask" it jumps my mouse arrow down to near the word "treatment" on the basic panel and deselects the mask. I have to go back up to switch the toggle back on and then reselect the mask to continue making adjustments

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

In a first step please try resetting the preferences of Lightroom Classic:   https://helpx.adobe.com/lightroom-classic/help/setting-preferences-lightroom.html

It's recommended to backup your preferences before you reset the preferences to the default settings: 

https://helpx.adobe.com/lightroom-classic/kb/preference-file-and-other-file-locations.html

My System: Intel i7-8700K - 64GB RAM - NVidia Geforce GTX 1050 Ti - Windows 10 Pro 22H2 -- LR-Classic 12.1 - Photoshop 24.1. - Nik Collection 5 - Topaz Sharpener AI

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The behavior you are observing is identical on Mac and Windows. It results from the change in the Local Adjustment Edit Stack when you toggle off Masks.  If you have a Local Adjustment tool selected it creates a tool-specific menu component at the top of the Local Adjustment slider stack. Toggling off the panel, unselects all masks and removes the tool-specific adjustments at the top of the panel. This changes the panel's height and shifts the global edit stack upwards. Toggling back on results in a Mask panel active but unselected state. I would call that expected behavior. 

If you want to:

1. Not allow the Toggle to move away from the mouse or

2. Return to a previously selecged Mask state after toggle

that would likely fall into the realm of a feature request. 

Rikk Flohr - Customer Advocacy: Adobe Photography Products

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@brianeden44 

Don't use the on/of switch for masking to compare, it adds useless history steps 

If you want to compare a photo with or without masking then do this: navigate to a History step when you have no masks > right click on the step and "Copy Settings to Before" > now at any time you can use the "Show Before Settings" kbsc to easily toggle between viewing the photo with the current masking/settings and without it.

It's the best method...till Adobe implements the eyeball icon for the masking panel like in ACR.

If memory serves me by default the Before state is the import state but you might have masks on import so select a step where you have no masks.

Fwiw we would not even need to use before and after, we could effortless preview any state/step if only Adobe had Implement full screen previews of snapshot and history like in ACR.

Full Screen Previews for History and Snapshots 

Before and after is totally obsolete and ineffient when using History but we still have to rely on it.

Very sad situation.

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Dec 22, 2022 Dec 22, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That makes sense, thanks Rikk. Is there a different recommended way to quickly check the before/after for an individual local adjustment tool and be able to keep editing with it without losing your place on the panel? That toggle switch has allowed me to do that in all the previous versions of LR. 

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,
Dec 22, 2022 Dec 22, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

@brianeden44 

You can click and hold the eyeball to hide a single Mask or Component.

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines