• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Lightroom Classic Not Responding on Mac Pro 2013 with MacOS 12.6

Explorer ,
Oct 19, 2022 Oct 19, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Issue with Lightroom Classic 11.5 (possibly 12.0)

MacOS 12.6 Monterey

Mac Pro (late 2013)

After many years of successful use LRc now refuses to start and goes into a permanent Not Responding state. Attempts to Force Quit do not always work requiring many attempts. System restarts being required before LRc can be at least started but it continues to lock up. On some occasions the Adobe Stock loading dialog appears but progress frozen. 

I tried various suggestions to start bypassing preferences but without success.

As a final attempt I have erased and reinstalled the MacOS 12.6 on my Mac Pro (late 2013) before reinstalling LRc. I continue to get the Not Responding response. I can't confirm which version of LRc has been installed as I can't open the app and access the menu. Adobe Creative is saying I am up to date. This fresh reinstall was carried out twice.

Photoshop, Bridge and Camera Raw continue to work as normal. LRc 11.5 remains working on my MacBook Pro under MacOS 12.6 - I am not risking installing LRc 12.0 at this time. 

Urgent assistance required. HELP!!!!

Andrew Gransden

mail@awgphtography.co.uk

TOPICS
macOS

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Please carry out the instructions in the information available at the link below. Make sure you shut down your computer and then restart.

https://community.adobe.com/t5/lightroom-classic-discussions/quick-tips-how-to-give-full-disk-access...

Regards, Denis: iMac 27” mid-2015, macOS 11.7.10 Big Sur; 2TB SSD, 24 GB Ram, GPU 2 GB; LrC 12.5, Lr 6.5, PS 24.7,; ACR 15.5,; Camera OM-D E-M1

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I was aware of the need to grant Full Disk Access. I followed the recommended procedure again and rebooted my Mac. LRc still goes into a Not Responding state with a spinning wheel cursor after opening the my window.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You can try resetting your LrC preferences. See the link here for specific instructions.

Regards, Denis: iMac 27” mid-2015, macOS 11.7.10 Big Sur; 2TB SSD, 24 GB Ram, GPU 2 GB; LrC 12.5, Lr 6.5, PS 24.7,; ACR 15.5,; Camera OM-D E-M1

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Based on earlier suggestions on Adobe Coummity post I had already tried resetting Preferences. Again this does not work and LRc is unresponsive with spinning wheel.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Update - now Photoshop 2023 and Bridge 2023 (latest updates) are non responsive. What have Adobe done with the Oct 22 updates?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Please provide some details of your computer resources, Ram, GUP, HDD internal and external full size and free disk space available. Where are your image files located and where is the folder that contains your Catalog, Preview and related files located?

Also take a screen Capture of the contents in the folder containing the Catalog, use the list view so details are displayed.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

My Mac is a Mac Pro (Late 2013) with 3.5Ghz, 6-core Intel Xeon E5 with 32GB 1866 MHz DDR3 RAM. The internal Flash Storage is 1TB with 905 GB free (after fresh install). My catalog is normally stored on a 70.4TB Drobo 5D NAS.

I would love to connect to a catalog but LRc is immediately non responsive and I can't even select a catalog (new or old) or any menus. I was last able to access my catalog on 16 Oct (see screenshot).

The Adobe processes are so lock up and unresponsive that it is difficult to Force Quit them and these are blocking any system restart. This problem started this week with my full system and has continued as I have tried everything suggested online to fix it. My last disparate move was to reset everything by erasing my system and doing a fresh install of MacOS 12.6 and my Adobe Creative programs. Fortunately, my MacBook Pro (also 12.6 Monterey) has not been updated to the latest Adobe products are remains working.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Use finder and delete the file Lr2020_cat-v10-v11.lrcat.lock

that is a LOCK file and it prevent any access to your Catalog it is put in place when LrC boots and opens the Catalog it would automatically be removed when Lightroom is closed normally. If Lightroom crashes or shut down unexpectedly it may remain in place and prevent the Catalog from opening.

After deleting the Lock file double click on the Catalog file Lr2020_v10-v11.lrcat it has the Lr logo.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

.lock file deleted. Double clicking on the .lrcat file causes the Dock icon to bounce but LRc fails to start. Adobe Lightroom Classic appear in Force Quit dialog window but process takes excessive long time to stop. No .lock file created.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

STOP PRESS - Reboot Mac and tried again. LRc detected need to update ircat to v12. Watch this space.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Spoke tooo soon. After .ircat converted to new v12 LRc window partially opened to the state I had earlier this week (see screenshot) with only one image displayed in Library grid and again LRc became unresponsive with spinning wheel.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Go to Lightroom >Preferences > Performance tab, take a screen capture of what is displayed and post in the thread.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That is not possible. Because LRc immediately freezes (not responding) I can access none of the menues or functions. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Take another screen capture of the folder that contains your Catalog file.

So we can see what shows there, need to see if Previews were taken over when the Catalog was up graded from 11 to 12.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Is LrC still displayed as shown in the screenshot above?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes. that is the state when I started LRc by double-clicking on the .lrcat file. When starting LRc directly I don't see anything (no windows) before  it freezes. This is where no .lrcat has been defined or created.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Is it possible for you to use finder and take a screen capture of the folder where your Catalog file is located? I need to see what is there now. e.g. is there a LrC 12 Catalog?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Where would the default catalog file be located after first install?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It should be in the same folder that you took the earlier screen shot.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You indicated earlier "My catalog is normally stored on a 70.4TB Drobo 5D NAS."

I do not believe you can have your Catalog file there it's ok for storage of your original files but not the Catalog and previews.

I do not have experience with working on a NAS and hopefully another user may offer some assistance.

Do you have any Catalog Backups?

It would be better for the Folder with the Catalog Previews and other data files associated with the Catalog was located on your internal SSD.

The default location on a mac would be Mac HDD users> your user name > Pictures > Lightroom/.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Oct 20, 2022 Oct 20, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Attached is the screenshot of the files created on conversion to v12. I have also attached the screenshot of the default directory.

I have used my Thunderbolt 2 connected Drobo 5D as my catolog and photo library drive for 16+ years as a pro photographer. It has worked well with LRc for my wedding and nature photography.

I have backups of my previous catologs and all images. I have only using copies of these for my testing as I do not want them damaged.

I believe that it is not the catalogs that is causing the problem. Something with LRc v12 is freezing and stopping any interaction with the software to change settings. Everything was fine before the latest auto update.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Oct 20, 2022 Oct 20, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Looking at the screen shot of the Lightroom folder on the Drobo it appears the LrC Catalog 12 was created however the conversion of Previews file from 11 to 12 appears to have failed. The old previews are gone!

Not sure how to proceed and hope another user would help.

Is LrC still stuck and has not shut down?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Oct 23, 2022 Oct 23, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Unfortunately, I have not resolved the issue with my Mac Pro even with a safe and tested backup ircat. I have however managed to regain access to my extensive photo library using the same backup on my MacBook Pro. I am current trying to rebuild the Mac Pro with a clean MacOS install but it is taking some time.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Oct 24, 2022 Oct 24, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am going to declare defeat. I have completed a fresh install of MacOS 11.7 Big Sur and Lightroom Classic 11.5. The result is the same. LRc on my Mac Pro continues to freeze (not respond) are start up and non functional. The same set up on my MacBook Pro works everytime as has my Mac Pro for many years. I have tested the same catalogue with both. One works and one crashes. My 40 years experience in IT is exhausted and I just do not know what do to resolve my problem. Is my Mac Pro (late 2013) now out of date as far as Adobe is concerned?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines