• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Lightroom Classic slideshow, captions entered but not showing in preview or play

Explorer ,
Oct 11, 2022 Oct 11, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm on iMAC using Monterey. I created a slideshow in Lightroom Classic, 11.5. Added different captions on slides but they don't show when I preview or play or after creating the slideshow.  Research mentions captions need to be added in metadata while in Library. I don't see a way to add captions in metadata.  My screen looks different from the tutorials I'm seeing in videos.  Some of my captions are lengthy, not really keyword-like. I click on ABC, add what I want, move the text around on the photo, but it doesn't stick in final mode.  This should not be so hard. I am not a techy.  Thanks.

TOPICS
macOS

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Were you able to follow the directions on this Help page:

https://helpx.adobe.com/lightroom-classic/help/adding-overlays-slides.html

Jill C., Forum Volunteer

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

One thing the linked article from @Jill_C  does not make clear (that I can see)  is this-

When you click on the [ABC] to add a text box on the page- it defaults to "Custom Text". Anything that you enter in the field for 'Custom Text' will appear on EVERY slide in the slideshow.

If you want 'Captions' to appear (specific to Captions added in the metadata panel) you need to select from the context menu-

2022-10-12 10_20_06-Roberts Catalog-v11 - Adobe Photoshop Lightroom Classic - Slideshow.jpg

If viewing one photo in the Slideshow that does not have a Caption-

1) Press [G] for Grid mode

2) Expand the Metadata panel  (Default View should show 'Caption: )

3) Type your Caption words in the Caption field

2022-10-12 10_25_33-Roberts Catalog-v11 - Adobe Photoshop Lightroom Classic - Library.jpg

4) Press [Ctrl + Alt + 5]  to return to the Slideshow module and the currently viewed page.

2022-10-12 10_27_50-Roberts Catalog-v11 - Adobe Photoshop Lightroom Classic - Slideshow.jpg

Regards. My System: Lightroom-Classic 13.2 Photoshop 25.5, ACR 16.2, Lightroom 7.2, Lr-iOS 9.0.1, Bridge 14.0.2, Windows-11.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Rob, you are correct. When I use ABC I have only one option and that is Custom Text, and that puts the same text on every slide. When I select Captions, the text box is grayed out.  I don't know what a Context Menu is or where to find it. I also don't see anything, anywhere that says Metadata.  Are you referring to being in "Library" or "Slideshow"?  I appreciate the help both of you have offered, but I still have no idea what I'm doing.  I am not incapable, just not tech savvy.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The small (up/down) triangles gives you the context menu to choose what metadata you want for each image.

2022-10-12 14_46_05-Clipboard.jpg

"When I select Captions, the text box is grayed out."- Naturally- If you are 'pulling' info from metadata there is no reason to use the field that becomes greyed out.

AND- As well- You can select the [Edit] function in that menu to create a 'multi-text' 'Preset' to show on the images-

2022-10-12 14_51_45-Roberts Catalog-v11 - Adobe Photoshop Lightroom Classic - Slideshow.jpg

2022-10-12 14_50_09-Roberts Catalog-v11 - Adobe Photoshop Lightroom Classic - Slideshow.jpg

Regards. My System: Lightroom-Classic 13.2 Photoshop 25.5, ACR 16.2, Lightroom 7.2, Lr-iOS 9.0.1, Bridge 14.0.2, Windows-11.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Further- Interestingly you can

-create a Preset with a selection of metadata info and that also INCLUDES  'Custom Text'  in the Preset!

2022-10-12 15_04_57-Text Template Editor.jpg

-Apply the Preset (That you named:  Filename+Exposure+Caption+Custom )

- While the bounding border is showing on the Photo -Select [Custom Text] again from the context menu,

-Type the Text in the box

Now you get the Preset that uses metadata from each image, AND adds the Custom Text as well to EVERY photo.

2022-10-12 15_04_03-Roberts Catalog-v11 - Adobe Photoshop Lightroom Classic - Slideshow.jpg

OR- Simply create another ABC box for Custom Info.

You are not limited to one text box on the slide page.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Oct 13, 2022 Oct 13, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

In slideshow mode, there is no metadata panel.  I see a metadata panel in the tutorials I'm viewing, but it appears I don't have one.  How do I change the metadata?  I have no way to add a caption. Am I missing a panel that I should have?  One image is in Library mode and the other is in Slideshow mode.  I've spent hours over this one silly thing.  Building a slideshow is easy for everything else. Thank you.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Problem solved.  I had to go to Windows and add the metadata panel.  Simple solution but not so simple for a non-techy person.  Thanks for efforts to assist.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

FYI. Yes, you discovered the hidden panels! As well as the MENU: Window > Panels  commands to toggle, you can [Right-Click] on any visible panel header and toggle panel views on/off, or use the [Show All] option-

2022-10-14 05_48_59-Roberts Catalog-v11 - Adobe Photoshop Lightroom Classic - Library.jpg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines