• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Lightroom classic sorting issue

Explorer ,
Apr 20, 2023 Apr 20, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I use LR Classic primarily for tagging my photos. My collection includes plus minus 500,000 photos. These photos are on a Nas which is connected via a 10 Gigabit network to the PC on which LR is installed. The LR database is on an SSD. Tagging is difficult, the synchronization is ok at first but after tagging a few dozen photos the speed drops completely. If I keep working LR gets upset and just spontaneously starts changing the sorting of filename to capture time. If I change it back to file name as intended, the order is completely searchable. I can't get these sorted anymore either. The only option is to optimize the database. Is this done then I can work again as usual after which the above situation repeats itself again. Actually, it is impossible to work with LR. LR's advice to improve performance is irrelevant. For tagging I use smart collections to limit the number of files. The photo files are distributed in a folder structure on the nas. The nas is not used for anything else. The network speed when using Bridge, Photoshop and Camera RAW is excellent. For example, I can quietly retrieve and edit 50 scans of 90Mb (TIFF Hi-res scans) simultaneously without hickups. The photos I tag are JPEGs on a web format to keep the file size down.

Who recognizes this problem, is it a bug, what is the solution or alternative?

Translated with www.DeepL.com/Translator (free version)

[moved from bugs to discussions - Mod.]

TOPICS
Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

- How about preview status of the photos?

- Do you write metadata to XML?

- Do you write metadata back to the jpg's?

--- Got your issue resolved? Please label the response as 'Correct Answer' to help your fellow community members find a solution to similar problems. ---

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

I have attached screenshots showing the catalogue settings. I assume this will suffice and otherwise just let me know if you need more.

I write the tags to the jpegs so I can use them in other programmes too.

Regards,

Reinder

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Apr 23, 2023 Apr 23, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I went a little further in testing and looking for the cause. In a smart collection with quite a few filters, the problem is even worse. I can literally place one tag, the next one immediately shows a huge increase in processing time. If there are multiple tags, normally I process dozens of tags in a row, the process is no longer trackable. Only waiting helps. After a database optimization the tags are eventually processed. If the database is not optimized then LR completely loses its way and the tags are no longer placed either. Usually the change to an unwanted sorting also takes place then. Unfortunately LR does not give any warning or error. It is very depressing to have to tag photos several times before it finally works once. Of course, I also looked at the system. The CPU is nawuously loaded, the Nvidia video card is fully tuned for maximum support. The latter proves itself opening extensive collections is smoothly fast.

Note: I have no idea if my database with its 450,000 photos is large by LR standards. I would love to hear from LR users what their experiences are with collections like mine or even larger. Continuing as it is now seems less and less of an option.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Apr 28, 2023 Apr 28, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Still, I set aside time to further analyze the problem. The cause appears to be in the complex filtering. To make my database usable, many many keywords are needed to find photos effectively and quickly. As a result, tagging has also become complex. I have to set very many filters to make the collections sufficiently small and manageable. The filtering I use is the problem. The LR software is apparently not up to the task. From the tests, the following conclusions can be drawn regarding the hardware:

• The CPU is more than adequate for its task and has very limited load.
  • The network is sufficiently fast and no bottle neck.
  • The nas (10Gb connection) is sufficiently fast and no bottle neck.

As for LR, I come to the following conclusions:

• Smart collections have limitations in terms of filtering.
  • As soon as the filtering becomes complex (read: many filters), the performance collapses completely. This hickup is not visible in network traffic and processor load.
  • Files that are tagged often turn out not to be tagged after all.
  • Sorting lives a life of its own as soon as complex filtering and tagging are apparently not done correctly.

I hope someone can help me further. If necessary, I can write out the workflow and make it transparent.

Obviously I have adjusted the workflow to still be able to proceed but am limited by the clutter this has created. A persistent problem is not being able to follow where LR is with the execution of the tasks (read processing tags that are entered). The problem with sorting is a very irritating bug as far as I am concerned.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines