• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

P: Lightroom Classic super slow export - any solutions?

LEGEND ,
Aug 03, 2021 Aug 03, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I’m on a 15’’ 2019 MacBook Pro, Big Sur OS and Lightroom Classic 10.3.  2.6 GHz 6-Core Intel Core i7. 16 GB 2400 MHz DDR4

After the Big Sur update and Lightroom Classic update were both done, LR exports for batch JPEG exports (Astro timelapses) are taking so long that I have to walk away from my computer and then 2-4 hours later when I take a look at the progress, it stops at around 20% (about 600 images total for the export).  I then have to cancel the export and try to start over with no luck.  It’s on a fresh catalog which is ran internally on the MacBook.  There’s ample storage for the files and I’ve followed the guidance on enhancing performance. I’m running LR Classic from the Creative Cloud.

At this point I can’t get work done and have been trying to get this resolved for more than 2 days.  I’ve been on the phone with Adobe support multiple times while doing screen share with them but no solution has been put in place.  I have to end the calls each time after more than an hour due to other things happening in my day.

Has anyone had any similar issues?  I’d love insight if anyone has any pointers. I’m stumped.

Prior to updating to Big Sur and 10.3, a similar export would be done in less than 10 minutes.  Super frustrating.

Thanks so much.

TOPICS
Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Aug 04, 2021 Aug 04, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Two common causes:

Bad Install 

Corrupt Preference File

Clean Lightroom Install Procedure

Close Lightroom

Restart the computer

Use the Adobe Creative Cloud App to uninstall Lightroom

Restart the computer

Install Lightroom via the Creative Cloud App without launching any other programs.

Restart the computer

Launch Lightroom

Wait 5 minutes

A Preference File will survive a Lightroom uninstall/reinstall. Sometimes weird behavior is corrected/cured by resetting the preferences.

Reset Procedure:

1. Close Lightroom.

2. Hold down [Alt/Opt]+[Shift] while restarting Lightroom.

3. Overwrite the Preferences when prompted by the dialog.

4. Close Lightroom.

5. Restart Lightroom.

Does the behavior continue after resetting the preferences?

Rikk Flohr - Customer Advocacy: Adobe Photography Products

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Aug 11, 2021 Aug 11, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

How is this drive connected?

As a test, if you export to the local drive, does the speed change?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Aug 10, 2021 Aug 10, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

On my local/internal SSD, I have 183 GB free of 250 GB.  I import files into my internal drive for edits and once done, I transfer them off my internal drive and onto my external 2 TB drive, which has more than 75% of free space.  I have lots of free space.  That part doesn't seem to be an issue.  Not sure what else it could be.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Aug 06, 2021 Aug 06, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I suspect you have a different issue. 

I tested an Export and 600 files is taking around 10 minutes here.  It might be time to look at free disk space on the primary drive and the destination drive.  Can you describe the drive configuration?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Aug 05, 2021 Aug 05, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Doesn’t stall out anymore but it still takes a long time for the export to complete. It took hours to export 999 images last night. Before the OS and LR updates, it would take maybe 20 minutes for that to complete. From the looks of it I will just have to live with the fact that those fast exports are a thing of the past. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Aug 05, 2021 Aug 05, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Does the process still stall at 20% as in your original post?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@Rikk Good to know, thank you.  I guess the issue isn't fully resolved in that case even though it has improved.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

"One thing the Apple tech said at the store is that Big Sur is at 64 Bit and Lightroom is at 32, so that could be a part of the issues I have, per his words."

This is incorrect information. Lightroom has been 64 bit for many years - since at least Lightroom 6. . 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@Rikk After a trip to the Apple store and being given the suggestion of beefing up my charger to a 90+ W Apple brick charger, there is a little improvement when I couple that with your guidance given above.  Thank you for that.  While the export still isn't as fast as before, I timed it and it took just under 1 hour and 15 minutes to export 591 JPEG's with a max output size of 3000 KB.  In the past, it would take only about 15 minutes for that.  It took 22 minutes to import the 591 raw images from my SD card.  That also used to take a lot less time.

One thing the Apple tech said at the store is that Big Sur is at 64 Bit and Lightroom is at 32, so that could be a part of the issues I have, per his words.  I'm not sure if that has changed as of today or not.  He said he thinks Lightroom will be updated soon based on what Adobe told him recently, and that should only create more improvement on performance.

So, while Lightroom isn't performing as well as it did before, it is much better than it was doing over the last couple of days.  Thank you big time for the help.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@Rikk thank you so much, sir! I will try that out today and then report back! 🙂

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 11, 2022 Jul 11, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

For some time I used cracked versions of LR and PS, yes shame on me I know. 

On the bright side, I like these products so much that I decided that I should pay for them instead of stealing then and on the way, let hackerts and other questionable figures an aceess to my data and computer.

But, as I started to exports on both softwares I experienced exactly the same problem. 
I also have a 2019 Macbook Pro, i9, 32gb Ram with AMD Radeon Pro 5500M 8 GB. 
I tried to export on my local ssd and an extrnal ssd, same tortoise-like speed.

I guess that you solved or accepted this speed issue by now, but it drives me crazy.

I will try to uninstall and all the othe advices here but since I witnessed how my computer was able to work fast with these softwares I would take out all the 32/64bit, voltage, future updates etc out of this equation. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Apr 17, 2023 Apr 17, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I have been trying the lightroom (last 2023 version) with raw files for timelapse. Incredible the time of export (up to 4 Hours). I got 260GB ram, amd 3960x threadripper, 8GB Nvidia Quadro and I learn that I will avoid Lr and raw files. Better Jpeg's with PS for timelapse or even using AE (even better). It only takes 10-15mns for a 20 secs in 10K timelapse. It's amazing and result is pretty the same if you know how to use Lumetri color.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines