Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Lightroom Classic v 11.2 invert custom mask

Explorer ,
Mar 12, 2022 Mar 12, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Photoshop Lightroom Classic v 11.2

My desire is to effect the background of my image.  I have used the new "subject detect" mask but the result included too much of the image.  I added a (-) brush to eliminate the excess but the invert mask option has disappeared from the control panel.  Right click on the mask reveals no invert. Someone suggested control "i" but, of course, that just toggles the info.  Has anyone experienced this or know the answer?

Thanks

You need to ask program questions in the forum for the program you are using
To ask in the forum for your program please start at https://community.adobe.com/
Moving from Using the Community (which is about the forums) to the correct forum... Mod

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

My desire is to effect the background of my image.  I have used the new "subject detect" mask but the result included too much of the image.  I added a (-) brush to eliminate the excess but the invert mask option has disappeared from the control panel.  Right click on the mask reveals no invert. Someone suggested control "i" but, of course, that just toggles the info.  Has anyone experienced this or know the answer?

Thanks

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

When you post a question you always need to tell the program you are using
There are MANY programs in a full subscription, plus other non-subscription programs
Please post the exact name of the Adobe program you use so a Moderator may move this message to that forum

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Photoshop or Photoshop Elements?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@John T Smith @Peru Bob 

Doesn't the post state it is Lightroom Classic 11.2

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

PeruBob_0-1631295776990.gif

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Inverting of the Total Mask is a promised future feature but until then you can invert the total mask by the following technique.

Invert the Bottom Component  (your Select Subject)

Toggle the +/- of any Component above that (change your Brush from subtract to add)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Watch this video, well worth the time to learn how the new masking controls in ACR and LR work:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GDg6FdNdufs

Author “Color Management for Photographers" & "Photoshop CC Color Management/pluralsight"

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

You cannot invert an entire Mask but each 'layer' nested inside a Mask does have its own separate Invert option, as well as other controls. Between these, any conceivable combination of the different kinds of selections can be achieved AFAICT.

(For example) you can select Subject, then invert that 'layer' so that non-Subject areas are selected instead. If that original auto Subject selection had wrongly strayed into some areas you consider to be Background, then you would make an Add brush over the top, and paint those areas back in  - so your finished overall Mask selects for the entire background.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines