• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Lightroom Classic v9 Crashes MacOS Catalina 10.15

New Here ,
Nov 04, 2019 Nov 04, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Installed the new version of Lightroom Classic v9 today prior to doing some editing.

After the install, Lightroom will not stay upfor more than 1-2 mins without completely crashing my Mac.  No consistent pattern of steps to reproduce.  I have tried to select photos, go into the Development module, really any activity will cause the screen to completely go blank, the entire computer to restart, and a system error will appear saying that the computer had to restart because of a problem.  After rebooting, a MacOS graphics error will appear saying that the computer had to restart because of a problem and provide me an option to send the crash dump to apple.

I am trying to access the files off of an external drive, and don't know whether that would make a difference.

I am not seeing similar complaints in the community for this issue.

Hardware: 

2016 MacBook Pro

16GB RAM

Radeon Pro 460 4GB 

Intel HD Graphics 530 1536 MB

Ideas to fix the issue?  I really need to get my edits completed.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Nov 05, 2019 Nov 05, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm not an MAC expert but what you should try first is to deactivate the GPU support.

https://helpx.adobe.com/lightroom-classic/kb/troubleshoot-gpu.html

Another poit is that you have two graphic cards inside your Mac; a Radeon and the CPU internal Intel. It's possible that Lightroom has a problem with this. Try to deactivate the CPU internal Intel graphic card and check if it's working.

My System: Intel i7-8700K - 64GB RAM - NVidia Geforce RTX 3060 - Windows 10 Pro 22H2 -- LR-Classic 13.2 - Photoshop 25.5 - Nik Collection 6.8 - Topaz Photo AI 2

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Alex,

I disabled GPU support.  No change.

The two graphics cards are associated with the internal built in monitor and the graphics cards associated with the external monitors.  I had my computer connected to the external monitors when it was crashing every minute or so.  Unplugging my computer from the external monitors and just using the built in monitor changed the uptime from ~1 minute to 3-4 minutes.

I was able to edit a couple of pictures in between crashes.

It is a frustrating exercise - I have sent the crash dumps to Apple upon every reboot.  Occasionally, instead of the entire computer crashing, only Lightroom would crash, so the Adobe Crash dump process would start and I would send those dumps to Adobe.  Hopefully that can help solve the problem.

Any other ideas?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Check your  plugin manager  for any  plugins that are not supported in v9. Remove them. Restart LRC

Check your plugin manager for any plugins that are not supported in Catalina (32 bi, but the manager will probably not show that, but might show errors). Restart LRC

Disable  any third party plugins, restart LRC

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Not at all sure if a brand new preference  file  is created  upon this upgrade. But, have you considered resetting it?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 18, 2019 Nov 18, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks to all of those that have provided suggestions.  I am still experiencing crashes that will completely reboot the system - not just crash lightroom.

Here is what I have done to try to resolve the problem:

• Disabled GPU Support 
  • Disabled and removed all plugins
  • Reset my preference file
  • Removed both Lightroom Classic as well as Photoshop
  • When I re-installed Lightroom, it found my latest database and asked me to upgrade it - I did that (again - as it upgraded it with my previous install)

After the re-install, I was able to edit ~30 pictures this morning - which is amazing as I was crashing about every 1-2 minutes after the initial upgrade.  However, I still have hard crashed (reboot my machine) 3 times in the last hour.  The problems seem to be related to the export function and the edit in Photoshop function now.

Unfortunately, the crash dumps that the OS takes upon a non-graceful restart are sent to Apple rather than Adobe so I don't know how to get Adobe the troubleshooting information they need to fix the problems.

Any other ideas on how to resolve all the issues?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 24, 2019 Dec 24, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I too am having this sample problem but only when exporting from Lightroom. It starts the export and then either Lightroom Classic crashes or it totally crashes my Mac. I have reinstalled the software and even installed an earlier version, turned off the CPU graphics accelerator and it's still happening. Things worked fine until the new MacOS update (Catalina 10.15.2) and the most recent Lightroom Classic update (9.1). 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 09, 2020 Nov 09, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Did you ever figure out a solution?

I'm having this same issue now.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 15, 2020 Nov 15, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am now having this issue too. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Nov 18, 2019 Nov 18, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Removed both Lightroom Classic as well as Photoshop

Ok, so you removed LRC and PS, but did you run the Adobe Creative Cleaner Tool?

https://helpx.adobe.com/creative-cloud/kb/cc-cleaner-tool-installation-problems.html

And for that matter perhaps uninstall the Adobe Creative Cloud Desktop App?

https://helpx.adobe.com/creative-cloud/help/uninstall-creative-cloud-desktop-app.html

This is an attempt to clear out any old detritus left over from previous installs that went bad or did not get cleared out properly during updates.

Might want to consider:

1a. See item 5, perhaps should have started with that, if important have backups of your various plugins, presets, user settings, metadata presets, filename presets, copyright, watermark, etc.

1. Use the Adobe Creative Cloud Desktop to uninstall all the CC programs, PS, LR. LRC, Bridge, etc..

2. Download the Adobe Creative Cloud Desktop App uninstaller, follow the directions.

https://helpx.adobe.com/creative-cloud/help/uninstall-creative-cloud-desktop-app.html

3. Download the Adobe Creative Cleaner Tool, run it to uninstall All. Note, pay attention to the options in each step as an assumption of just pressing 1 will be incorrect on some options.

https://helpx.adobe.com/creative-cloud/kb/cc-cleaner-tool-installation-problems.html

4. On your computer make sure the programs got deleated.

5. Now, probably not everything actually gets deleated, the programs would be, but various settings like your watermark, your Copyright, your plugins, your user defined file name presets, etc, may till exist, but do not count on this. You might want to have a backup.

6. Reboot the computer.

7. I see you are on MAC, so I will not address whatever is the equivalent to Windows Registry and editing that for trash, etc, or running a maintance tool on it.

8. But If you do have some sort of computer health or maintance utility run that, Oh, and clear the various numerous CACHE folders while you are at it. Then reboot.

9. Again, not a MAC guru, if you had Windows I would advise to look at the events viewer for errors, and to fix those.

10. Download a fresh new copy of the Adobe Creative Cloud Desktop App. 

https://www.adobe.com/creativecloud/desktop-app.html

11. Install that, watch for issues. Be aware it may take awhile and will at times slow down (might be a traffic issue at the Adobe Servers). When done, check the notices in the menu bar, should be no errors.

12. Reinstall your Programs, cross fingers and perhaps your toes, bribe your in-house Gremlin with some good Bourbon.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 09, 2020 Jan 09, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I do have the same issue with my Mac mini After installing macOS Catalina.

I have found this is due to the fact that Catalina no longer supports certain 32-bit parts and installers.

Storing/saving files doesn't work well. Plug-ins don't work well, or not at all, either. Storage (100.000 files) at a NAS doesn't work anymore, etc. Simply a drama! I canm hardly work with it anymore. Now I use from time to time the Windows computer of my wife- at least it works but not satisfactory.

Is there any suggestion from Adobe ????

Question is what to do, how to solve this.

Hardware Overview:

Model Name: Mac mini

Model Identifier: Macmini6,2

Processor Name: Intel Core i7

Processor Speed: 2,6 GHz

Number of Processors: 1

Total Number of Cores: 4

L2 Cache (per Core): 256 KB

L3 Cache: 6 MB

Memory: 16 GB

Boot ROM Version: MM61.0106.B03

SMC Version (system): 2.8f1

Serial Number (system): C07LV2H1DY3H

Hardware UUID: A473DC4B-EBA1-540E-AD02-006882757BED

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Is there any suggestion from Adobe ????

We're not Adobe here, we are other Lightroom users.

What is the version NUMBER of your Lightroom? (We need the NUMBER and not words like "latest" or "up-to-date").

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for your help!

Sorry you're Adobe indeed!

Lightroom nr is: Build [201911291132-64cf80b4j]

9.1 Release. Camera Raw 12.1

Support very much appreciated!

HarmBakker

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Really! The problem started with the Upgrade to Catalina? Then why do you think it is an Adobe LR Classic problem?

Seems to me it is a OS X Catalina problem.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 08, 2020 Feb 08, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Suffering the same issues! 2017 MacBook Pro running 10.15.3 and Lightroom 9.1 constant and unexplainable crashes. 

After 4 days of mind numbing phone calls with Adobe and all the steps they gave (recreate catalog, run cleaner program, move photos from NAS to local, build new previews, turn off GPU, turn on GPU, and last night - Format Hard Drive and start over) I finally called Apple support. 

After 2 just as mind numbing hours on the phone with them having me explain what I've done so far, they said it's probably that Catalina and Adobe just don't talk well yet and I need to wait for a patch. Great! Not sure who's making the patch or when that'll happen, but the Apple guy said he's getting lots of complaints recently about LR Classic and Catalina. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Feb 08, 2020 Feb 08, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

IMHO it is the hardware in your Mac.

Yes Catalina and All Adobe apps don't seem to work that well together. But IMO it is not all Adobe's fault. A major part falls on Apple for changing OS X so drastically that every software vendor has problems with Catalina.

But there are many many, thousands if not millions, of users running both Catalina and Adobe program without their Macs crashing all the time

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 11, 2020 May 11, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Does anyone know how long before we get this patch because this is just mad annoying.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
May 11, 2020 May 11, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Lightroom releases happen every 2-3 months. Each one gets better Catalina support.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 27, 2020 Aug 27, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I just bought a brand new macbook pro, 16gb i7 2.3mb. I can't open LR without it crashing. Very fusterating. I can't seem to find a simple fix for this.  

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Plenty of ideas already in this thread. Please try them.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Running fine on my pretty new MBP. Try reseting preferences as suggested. 

If that doesn't work, try logging in as another user and see if it keeps crashing when you open. If not, there's some conflict in the main User Library. 

And it is possible you got some bad memory. Got Photoshop, is it running OK? 

Author “Color Management for Photographers" & "Photoshop CC Color Management/pluralsight"

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 14, 2021 Jan 14, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm having the same issue with both Lightroom and Premier I've done everything. Anybody got any fixes. It's really annoying/ 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Joseph Scanlon

LrC v9 on MACOS Catalina? If not, post your own problem.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That's it MACOS Catalina and LrC V9

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jun 25, 2021 Jun 25, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hey OP! Did you ever figure out a fix for this? I'm having the exact same issue. MBP hard crashes when I export from lightroom while also connected to an external monitor. It's so randomly specific and I'm hoping you remember how you remedied the crashes!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines