• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Lightroom Classic will not send a photo to Photoshop to edit there

Explorer ,
Feb 07, 2022 Feb 07, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

When I am in Lightroom Classic and go to the Photo tab and select Edit In, the entire selection area is greyed out. It will not send a photo to Photoshop to edit there and be able to send back to Lightroom Classic. I am using Windows 10 and my software is up to date the guide says. I have restarted my computer and tried opening Photoshop first then Lightroom Classic. Thank you.

TOPICS
Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

To send an image to Photoshop, Lightroom needs access to the original.

So Edit in Photoshop will be greyed out if

• The image is missing (exclamation point in top right corner of thumbnail)
    This may happen if the original is on an external drive that is not connected, or if you have moved the image outside of Lightroom, so it no longer knows where it is.
  • You are working with smart previews

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you. I uploaded the photos from their new file location and those were able to be sent. However, I didn't see an exclamation mark anywhere.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Is it just one image or all of your images? If it is just one image check to make sure you see both Original and Smart Preview under the Histogram or if you see an exclamation point with '! photo is missing'. If your image is offline you will not be able to edit in any other application.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It is all of my images in a folder. But I reuploaded my photos from their new file location and I was able to send them over to photoshop/the options were not greyed out. How do I get the Original part viewable if I only see Smart Preview? I didn't see an exclamaton point on any of the photos. My next question after the Original one is how do I get my collection updated with the new photos from their new location, because they are still greyed out and not sendable? Is it possible? Thank you.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Where are you storing your images? Did you recently move them from an internal drive to an external drive? When you move images (or folders) from within Lightroom rather than at the finder level Lr will keep track of what you are doing. If you move images outside of Lr using the finder you will have to update the location by right-clicking on the folder and selecting Update Folder Location. If you are not seeing exclamation points it is most likely because you are working with Smart Previews. If you are always creating smart previews (on import for example) your Smart Preview file will quickly take up a lot of space on your internal drive. There are multiple ways to make smart previews - making them on demand when you need them will help to keep that file size manageable.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you for the reply. I store my images on my laptop. I import them from an SD card to a folder on my desk top and import them into Lightroom Classic. When I'm done working through the photos, I export them into a folder within the original folder. When I'm done with that I move the whole folder over to my Pictures section and the appropiate folder. Once I realized I couldn't move them around like that I store them where their final loction will be and make a shortcut to my desktop so it's still easy to get to. I backup my laptop then put the external drive back in our safe. I'm a little unclear on smart previews. Do I need them at all? Thank you again.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Storing your images on your local drive will reduce the amount of free space your computer has available for intensive computations (spot healing for example) so you'll want to think about storing your images on an external drive rather than your pictures folder. Hopefully you'll have addtional backups of your photos in your workflow too. If your hard drive fails, your images and other important files are at risk of being lost forever depending on what you are doing for backups.

Smart previews are useful when you know you want to work with images without being connected to an external drive. But no you don't need a smart preview of every image.

If you have Lr open when you put the SD card in to your reader, the import dialog box should open automatically. At this point you can choose the destination and copy the photos from within Lr. If you create a preset the images will automatically go to this destination upon import. Take a look at some of these tutorials from Julianne Kost: https://jkost.com/blog/lightroom-training-videosThis one is a good one to start with: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l35F8Sy01dY

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you for the reply. I've r3ecently started moving all of my photos except those from the past year over to an additional external hard drive to make more room. I appreciate the helpful links. Julieanne has even more good videos. I have been putting my SD card pictures on my desktop then importing into Lightroom. I did not realize I could do it from the beginning off the SD card. I was just worried that when I took the SD card away it would take those images away.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Feb 08, 2022 Feb 08, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

The images will remain on your SD card until you reformat it. It's best practice to reformat in camera versus deleting from your finder window.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines