• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Lightroom Classic won’t import more than ~20 images before Canon R5 disconnects

Explorer ,
Jul 23, 2022 Jul 23, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Today I tried to download the 410 images and videos I shot of young ospreys who were just leaving the nest. After about 21 files the camera disconnects. This happens when connected by cable to the USB-C port.

This seems to be a problem with the camera itself, as it happens not just in LRC, but also in Canon's EOS Digital Photo Express software and also when I try to copy the files direct from the camera drive to the external hard drive I use for image files. This is in Windows 10, using the USB-C interface, but I've read this is also a problem on Macs.

I have ordered a CF Express card reader, as this seems to be a bug in the camera.  I have the latest firmware installed.  It's somehow offensive that you need a $50-100 extra when this should be perfectly straightforward. 

Could this be due to the camera overheating?  This body has an upgraded heat sink for video image making installed.

Has anybody encountered this and solved the problem?

TOPICS
Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This isn't a problem with Lightroom or any other Adobe software.

Please contact Canon or post this question/issue in appropirates forums.

My System: Intel i7-8700K - 64GB RAM - NVidia Geforce RTX 3060 - Windows 10 Pro 22H2 -- LR-Classic 13.2 - Photoshop 25.5 - Nik Collection 6.8 - Topaz Photo AI 2

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It seems pretty certain it's a camera issue, not a Lightroom issue. I have an R5 also, but I never try to import directly from the camera (any camera, not just the R5). I would always advise users to import from memory card, not direct from camera, as in my opinion it's safer and LrC can be buggy when importing directly from camera.

I'd also suggest you cancel the order for the CF Express reader, as there's an issue with those cards which appear to the OS as a removable hard drive, not a memory card. The consequence of that is that LrC during import allows the use of the ADD import option (it defaults to that as well, so if you're not alive to that it means that after import your newly imported images will be flagged as missing when you eject the CF Express card). I'd already bought a CF Express card reader at the same time as the R5, it now sits unused in a cupboard gathering dust....I now always import from the SD card (I have a built-in SD reader on my desktop computer), which although being a bit slower is I think by far the safest method of importing from an R5.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Not a CFExpress user, can the author read that CFExpress in a SD reader, or are you sugesting the author uses the SD card only?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jun 09, 2023 Jun 09, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I think he means to use the SD card. I haven't had any oroblems with the CF Express II card and reader amd I think they transfer data faster than an SD. This is critical for long bursts in wildlife photography, so I'll stick to the CFX.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jun 10, 2023 Jun 10, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Problems with cables, connectors, and USB-hubs can also cause interruptions.
If it happens on both Win and Mac, there may be something wrong with the cable or camera.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jun 10, 2023 Jun 10, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Not in this case.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines