Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Lightroom classic won't open

Explorer ,
Aug 22, 2021 Aug 22, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi

I came to open Lightroom Classic today and found that although I could open it apparently normally, when I then tried to use it everything was frozen.  The mouse moves happily round the screen but does nothing. I have closed and restarted several times.  And restarted and shut down the PC.  I then spotted that there's a new version available and thought that would solve my problem - but it's made no difference.  I have to do a Control alt del to get out but even so when I get out of it and try to reload I get a message saying that the Catalog is still in use and would I please close down the other (non-existent) version of Lightroom.

I am tempted to delete and reinstall but is that the best thing to do?? I'd appreciate any advice.  Thanks

TOPICS
Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Reinstalling is not likely to fix this.

Try resetting the preferences. Press and hold Alt + Shift, then click the icon to launch Lightroom.

The dialog may open minimized, in which case you'll have to click the LrC icon again to see it.

LR-reset-preferences.png

If that doesn't help, try to disable the GPU.

Open Lightroom, then, if it will let you, go to Edit > Preferences > Performance (or press Ctrl + Comma), and set Use graphics processor to Off.

If you cannot access preferences, we can get back to a different method of disabling the GPU.

LR-GPU-full-acceleration.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Aug 30, 2021 Aug 30, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Many thanks for this reply and apologies for not replying earlier. I had not bothered to sign in to look for answers because I had ticked the box about being notified of replies so I assumed that I'd be notified.  For some reason this hasn't happened.  Your way of solving the issue seems a good one but as I had not seen it I started a new catalogue of all my  photos which took a while but then I could use that one and ignore the one that was giving me the messages. Not very sophisticated but it worked! Thanks again. Paul

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The catalog still in use message occurs when the catalog is locked. See the below procedure for removing the lock file.

https://helpx.adobe.com/lightroom-classic/kb/lightroom-error-catalog-cannot-be-opened-lrcat-lock.htm...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, This is the Actual fix for this "Catalog is still in use" issue. Happened to me once.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If LrC is  displayed, and moving the mouse does  not effect LrC, then perhaps LrC is not in focus, that is to say, not the app in use, it is in the background.

Down in your Windows Taskbar, the

LrC icon, does hovering your mouse over it cause a small display of LrC to show up?

If you right click on that icon, can you select the current catalog? If so, does that bring up LrC?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Aug 30, 2021 Aug 30, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Many thanks for this reply and apologies for not replying earlier. I had not bothered to sign in to look for answers because I had ticked the box about being notified of replies so I assumed that I'd be notified.  For some reason this hasn't happened.  I can't test your suggestion now but it looks a good one.YHowecver as I had not seen it I started a new catalogue of all my  photos which took a while but then I could use that one and ignore the one that was giving me the messages. Not very sophisticated but it worked! Thanks again. Paul

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines