• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Lightroom Classic worth it?

New Here ,
Feb 10, 2018 Feb 10, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have Lightroom 5 and since Adobe, as far as I can determine, offers no special upgrade price for Lightroom 6/Classic, what does Lightroom 6/Classic offer that makes it worth $149? (I have no interest in the cloud version.)

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You can upgrade to Lightroom 6 for $79. There were 14 updates. There were new cameras that were supported in each of those updates. Lightroom 6 had a few new features added, but features that were added to Lightroom CC (the subscription version) were not added to Lightroom 6. Lightroom Classic CC is a subscription version, but it isn't what you might consider a "cloud" version. It installs on your computer, runs on your computer just like Lightroom 5 does. You can share images in the cloud IF choose to do so, but that is your choice. Lightroom Classic CC is subscription only, $9.99/month in the US, and that includes the latest Photoshop as well. The programs install locally on your computer, run locally on your computer just as they always have.

If you choose to upgrade to Lightroom 6 you should be aware that after you install the program and update to Lightroom 6.14 to get support for all the new cameras supported by that version, that would be the last update you will ever get for that program. There will be no more updates for Lightroom 6. Lightroom Classic CC is still being supported and updated and new features will expectedly be added as time goes by.

There is another version of Lightroom now, Lightroom CC. It IS a cloud version. Images are stored in the cloud and made available on the computer and mobile devices with a very similar interface on all of those devices. It's your choice whether or not you use that version. If you choose the Creative Cloud photography plan you can download both versions and choose for yourself which one is more suitable for your particular needs. It is not advisable to try to use the two versions together.

Lightroom 6 and Lightroom Classic CC are NOT the same program. Lightroom Classic CC is still being completely supported and has a number of features that Lightroom 6 does not have. It has the ability to share images in the cloud IF you choose to do so, and that comes at no extra cost with Lightroom Classic CC. If that has no interest to you then you don't have to use it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I can't find the $79 deal for Lightroom 6 on the Adobe website, only the full $149 price. Where is the $79 deal offered?

If Adobe isn't going to support Lightroom 6 and longtime Adobe customers like myself who want a desktop program (my first Adobe product was Photoshop Deluxe dating back to the turn of the century), what's the argument for sticking with LR and not going to some other program? For example, I've been reading good things about Alien Skin's Exposure.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Go to the link below and change the full license to an upgrade and the price will change. Follow the other instructions.

Adobe Checkout

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Feb 11, 2018 Feb 11, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

RSHPhoto  wrote

If Adobe isn't going to support Lightroom 6 and longtime Adobe customers like myself who want a desktop program

Lightroom Classic CC is a desktop program. It is fully supported.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

JimHess, thank you for that information.

dj_paige, I guess I don't understand Lightroom Classic. If it's a desktop program, why is it sold on a subscription basis? Maybe I'm not looking in the right place, but I can't find a one-time price as with LR6. I assume that if I stop paying, Adobe somehow disables the LR Classic program on my hard drive, right?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LR6 was the last LR available as a perpetual license - 6.14 is the latest version and there won't be any further update..

LR Classic CC (aka LR7) is only available on subscription.

All of the LR applications are installed locally.

--- Got your issue resolved? Please label the response as 'Correct Answer' to help your fellow community members find a solution to similar problems. ---

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

RSHPhoto  wrote

dj_paige, I guess I don't understand Lightroom Classic. If it's a desktop program, why is it sold on a subscription basis?

Desktop and subscription are not mutually exclusive. It is both desktop AND subscription.

I assume that if I stop paying, Adobe somehow disables the LR Classic program on my hard drive, right?

If you have a subscription and then you end it (by not paying), Lightroom Classic CC still works, except that the Map module and the Develop module are disabled. So, all the work you did on your photos can still be accessed and exported.

So I have to buy products I don't want -- Photoshop and Lightroom CC -- to get the product I want, LR? How is that a steal?

My cable TV package includes channels I will never watch. My car, and my camera, all include features that I probably will never use. My monthly railroad ticket also includes free bus rides, which I never use. My internet service provider gives me access to a bazillion web sites that I will never access. When I buy chicken wings, I can't eat the blue cheese dressing, but it's still included in the meal. Even Lightroom contains features I probably will never use. But I pay for all of these things, because I get value out of the part that I do use. So what is your point?

But listen, RSHPhoto​, if you don't like the subscription, that's fine, that's your choice, but don't drag in all these other reasons which are all just misinformation ... just come right out and say you don't like the subscription, and we won't waste any more time on this.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I think I've been pretty clear I don't like the subscription. I'll probably go with LR6 because I've had plenty of experience with LR and I like the program. But the next time around, I can see myself moving on to another program like Exposure if Adobe continues on the subscription path.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Adobe will continue with the subscription system so why not just look for some other program that works for you. No need to spend any more money on a program that is out of date. LR 6 will not get any new updates, not even new camera updates. It is a retired program.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

RSHPhoto  wrote

I think I've been pretty clear I don't like the subscription. I'll probably go with LR6 because I've had plenty of experience with LR and I like the program. But the next time around, I can see myself moving on to another program like Exposure if Adobe continues on the subscription path.

Adobe IS continuing on the subscription path. You can still buy Lightroom 6 and update it to version 6.14. That is it. No more updates. Lightroom 6 .14 does not have all the features that Lightroom Classic CC has, and it never will. If you want continued support for Lightroom, and continued updates for Lightroom, then the subscription plan is really the only choice. In my opinion, it's a good choice. The programs are installed locally, run locally, store images locally. The cloud is used to provide updates and to enable you to share images if you choose to do so. If you do not like that kind of a workflow, then it's probably in your best interest to look somewhere else for your software. Adobe has made their choice, now it's time for you to make yours.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

RSHPhoto  wrote

I have Lightroom 5…what does Lightroom 6/Classic offer

Here's the web page where Adobe lists everything in the Lightroom 6 releases.

Feature summary for Lightroom CC 2015.x/Lightroom 6.x releases

The bulk of the feature differences between 5 and 6 are at the bottom of that page, for Lightroom 6.0. A few more features were added in point updates, but read carefully because those features were typically added only to the Creative Cloud version of Lightroom, not to the Lightroom 6 perpetual license version. The perpetual license version did continue to get bug fixes and updates for new cameras and lenses.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I can understand not wanting to do a subscription, but you should know that the subscription Lightroom Classic is a fully functional desktop application, no different in functionality from a non-subscription version. The photography plan Adobe offers is 9.99/month and includes Lightroom Classic, Photoshop, and a new application called Lightroom CC (yes not smart to name it the same as the old Lightroom) that stores all images in the cloud if you use it but has only a fraction of the features you expect from Lightroom(I don't recommend that but some folks like it). That's a steal in my opinion compared to perpetual licensing. Again if you absolutely need to own your software that's not an option but you should still think about it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So I have to buy products I don't want -- Photoshop and Lightroom CC -- to get the product I want, LR? How is that a steal?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You get those basically for free. I use Photoshop all the time for timelapses and for many things that Lightroom Classic simply can't do so that's a nice bonus. I get it's not for everyone.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

RSHPhoto  wrote

It's a matter of perspective. The complete Creative Cloud plan, which would also include a long list of other professional applications such as InDesign, Illustrator, Premiere Pro, After Effects, Acrobat, and others, is $50 a month. But a lot of people don't need all the applications, they just want one. Well, if you want to subscribe to just one of those applications, (like just Photoshop, or just After Effects), that's $20 a month.

The Photography Plan is a special exception in that it's always been $10 for Lightroom Classic and CC (and mobile sync) plus Photoshop, which used to be a $599 application on its own.

That's where the perspective comes in. If you see the $10 a month Photography Plan as getting multiple applications for half as much as the usual $20 single-application plan, and one-fifth the $50 of the full Creative Cloud plan, then yes…that is a steal. If there was no Photography Plan, chances are that for Lightroom alone, you'd have to be on the normal single-application price: $20/month. Of course, if you still see $10/month as overpriced for the one application you want, then that's another perspective.

Something else to throw into the mix: One of the most common complaints about Lightroom has been performance, particularly of version 6. Reports are now coming out about advance tests of an upcoming Lightroom Classic 7.2 release where Adobe has focused on performance. A report last week from PC builder Puget Systems says:

We have to hand it to the Lightroom Classic CC developer team - since Lightroom Classic CC initially launched just 4 months ago, it has been clear that improving performance is a major focus. Just for fun, we went back and compared the results from this new 7.2 version of Lightroom Classic CC to the old Lightroom CC 2015.12 using the Core i9 7940X. Comparing the two versions, exporting is now almost twice as fast, generating 1:1 Previews is about 5x faster, and generating Smart Previews is an insane 7x faster! This is an incredible improvement and a trend that every Lightroom user should be very excited about.

The Lightroom CC 2015.12 version mentioned there is the old CC equivalent of Lightroom 6. If you wish Lightroom was faster, it would be better to use the subscription version, where all the work on improving performance is happening. Some say that a subscription revenue stream can let a company focus on improving fundamentals without having to divert person-hours on developing and testing a list of whiz-bang bells and whistles that are there just to sell the next non-subscription upgrade. Whether or not that's what actually happens, the point is, if improved Lightroom performance is one of your priorities, it would not be good to stick with Lightroom 6.

Will you be happy with a non-Adobe replacement? What is hard to replace is the combination of the Develop module and the organizational features in the Library module. But if you only need the raw editing features of the Develop module, sure, there are many good alternatives.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 18, 2018 Jul 18, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

RSHPhoto, I understand your pain.  I am not a professional, but have been using lightroom since it's inception.  I currently hold a lightroom 6.0 License and am holding out until I get a new camera that forces me to upgrade to the new subscription model.  So far, I am happy with 6.14.  It runs well on my new PC and don't see a need to upgrade.  I plan to stay with this for at least another 2-3 years.  My 2 cents.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 26, 2020 Apr 26, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Well it's been almost 2 years how are you holding out? I'm of the same opinion as you BTW. I just don't like subs, I will hopefully live another 20 years and paying several thousand dollars for LR just doesn't appeal. I had a panic recently though using LR 6.0. I was using a D4s and everything was fine. Then I got a D5 and suddenly LR refused to read my new raw files. I could have cried! Fortunately I got onto support and after an hour managed to get a working do link for version 6.14 Presto I could read the D5 yay! Another worry was that I planned to sell the D4s and get a D850 so I'd have all photo bases covered as there's plenty on that camera the d5 can't quite match up to. After checking the versions I discovered the D850 was included in LR v6.13. So that's great news for me as those 2 cameras should last me a long time, maybe life long if they hold up.

Seems to me camera compatibility is the ONLY reason a serious photographer would ever need to update LR. Sadly it's a sad state when something as minor raw file updates can't be supported for perpetual license holders as well as subscribers. After all its a separate update to the app it COULD be made available easily. Heck I'd even have no problem PAYING for a camera update. You want $20 to update the raw capabilities of LR Adobe? Here ya go thanks!

People seem to forget that photographers have been producing great amazing photos for well over 100 years and 20 digitally. LR 6 is a great catalog and photo edit app for anyone who deals with pure photography only. Ie no fancy effects or 'cheats'. It is definitely good enough to produce award winning professional photos for the next couple decades. Like the new improved smart fridge doesn't actually store food any colder than your parents' old clunker( OK maybe it does bad example!) new 'features' are never actually NEEDED, people use them because they are THERE. Not because they have to.

I dont want cloud storage. It's way slower than my multiple ssd workstation with external sati back up drives. Plus more secure!

What you never had you never miss.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Apr 26, 2020 Apr 26, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

After all its a separate update to the app it COULD be made available easily.

Well, YES it is! and it is FREE! Yay.

It is the Adobe DNG Converter.

You convert your raw NEF files to the raw DNG format and import to any version of Lightroom.

Your raw sensor data is exactly the same in both formats. No loss of image data or quality.

(There may be special Nikon metadata enhancements that cannot be converted)

DNG LEGACY SUPPORT

Digital Negative (DNG)

Regards. My System: Lightroom-Classic 13.2 Photoshop 25.5, ACR 16.2, Lightroom 7.2, Lr-iOS 9.0.1, Bridge 14.0.2, Windows-11.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 11, 2023 Mar 11, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I only just saw this! Trying install LR6 on laptop as im out the country for a while. I think I'm in for a headache, found the download links to 5 and 6 which I have perpetual licences for but I'm expecting grief during install /registration.

Regards!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Mar 11, 2023 Mar 11, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

This is way off topic. Please start a new thread and explain your problem clearly. People will be happy to answer your question in a new thread.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines