Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Lightroom Classic - xmp files no longer created

Community Beginner ,
Nov 24, 2021 Nov 24, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello,
I have been using xmp files for a few years now but until recently, edits that I do in Lightroom Classic doesn't create the xmp sidecar files.

What am I doing wrong? How do I get the xmp files back?
I have that catalogue setting for xmp files, checked.

Thanks for helping out. Much appreciated.

TOPICS
macOS

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Enthusiast , Nov 25, 2021 Nov 25, 2021

What version of LrC are you using? In 11, there is a background task which creates the XMP files. If you've paused this, I don't believe it will write XMP's.

DS256_0-1637842799933.png

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

May I also add, I am a simple user - I take RAW photos from my Canon cameras, and edit the CR2 in Lightroom. I always have the xmp files created after editing them. Recently, they no longer appear. I can't remember when this started.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Maybe a stupid question-  But are you positive the files you are editing are CR2? Camera settings have been known to mysteriously change!

Next, check the actual Folder location of the CR2 you are editing. Then view it in Finder [Right-Click] > [Show in Finder]. Is this the same image you were saving the XMP for?  Is it possible LrC is using files in a folder different to that you are looking at with Finder.

Is Finder sorting you files by "File-type" so that the XMP is not seen 'next to' the CR2 file?

Note that the way Metadata is saved has changed in a big way in the October 2021 upgrade to v11.

Scroll down this document to the chapter- 'Auto Save into XMP'

https://helpx.adobe.com/lightroom-classic/help/whats-new/2022.html#metadata

Regards. My System: Lightroom-Classic 13.2 Photoshop 25.5, ACR 16.2, Lightroom 7.2, Lr-iOS 9.0.1, Bridge 14.0.2, Windows-11.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What happens when you press CMD + S.
Does it save the xmp?
Please check if the Auto Save XMP option is ON.
(Lightroom Classic > Catalog Settings > Metadata > Automatically Write Changes into XMP)

Thanks,
Sunil

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Apr 23, 2022 Apr 23, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Now that I've enabled that, how do I export all the XMP files I failed to update as I went along?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,
Apr 23, 2022 Apr 23, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

"Now that I've enabled that, how do I export all the XMP files I failed to update as I went along?"

Whether a file has a "side car XMP" is in the metadata.

DS256_0-1650749736589.png

However, this is not exposed in the Library Filters. To access you would likely need to use something like the plug-in like Anyfilter that does expose that tag.

Since this is a one off  process, what I would suggest is looking at something you can apply to all your photos then remove it. For example, if you don't use FLAG's, the FLAG everything then remove it. The other is to apply a KEYWORD to all photos "DUMMY" then delete that KEYWORD.

A trial is warranted.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Are you 100% sure CR2 files are not converted to DNG during import?

Everything that would be in a XMP file resides within a DNG file.

Hope that helps,

Michael

Michael Niessen - Photographer, photo-editor, educator

Photo-editing (Ps/Lr/LrC) and photography workshops & one-on-one training (off- and online)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,
Nov 25, 2021 Nov 25, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What version of LrC are you using? In 11, there is a background task which creates the XMP files. If you've paused this, I don't believe it will write XMP's.

DS256_0-1637842799933.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Dec 29, 2021 Dec 29, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks...that was the issue!  

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 07, 2022 Mar 07, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I had the same issue. My Catalog Settings were all set up for XMP data to be automatically written, however, for some reason, it was not creating the XMP sidecar files. I solved this by clicking on the name plate, and then pausing and unpausing  the "saving xmp" option that is available. As soon as I did that, xmp files were once again being created, even though i had never paused the function. It appears there might be a bug somewhere in the recent update. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jul 25, 2022 Jul 25, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Just did the same. Paused and unpaused the Saving XMP control in the identity plate and now my Lightroom Classic has written almost 3000 XMP files for the CR2 files from January 2022 till now (July 2022). Thanks for tip!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 04, 2022 Aug 04, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Brilliant! Solved my problem in a flash after several hours of trying to figure it out! Thanks.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 11, 2022 May 11, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I just found this  thread and it turns out that LR had paused the "saving XMP files" function. I had not touched it. After pausing and then unpausing I find LR is resynching over 600 photos. I hope this fixes the problem of LR not writing xmp files. Apparently that solved the problem for some others

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
May 11, 2022 May 11, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It's a bit confusing, changes made in version 11 in October 2021 and then another change introduced in version 11.1 which reverted the write process in Develop module. See the screen capture.

Regards, Denis: iMac 27” mid-2015, macOS 11.7.10 Big Sur; 2TB SSD, 24 GB Ram, GPU 2 GB; LrC 12.5, Lr 6.5, PS 24.7,; ACR 15.5,; Camera OM-D E-M1

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines