• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Lightroom classic

Community Beginner ,
Aug 22, 2021 Aug 22, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I just purchased a Lightroom subscription, which I understood to include Light Room classic.  However, it's not showing up as "available in my plan". When I click on tyhe "buy" link in light room classic it takes me to suite of Creative Cloud subcsriptions incluing the "Lightroom 1TB" plan I just bought.  I only did this for lightroom classic I don't really want any other aspect of this cloud garbage.  Please either let my know why I don't have lightroom classic or just cancel my subscription, refund my money and I'll settle for one of you competitors' products which won't work as well but will at least give me the desktop experience I want. 

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Aug 22, 2021 Aug 22, 2021

although the only reason I've ever upgraded is just to get updated RAW support when I upgrade my camera

Have you considered converting to DNG instead? That's why Adobe created the DNG format.

You can then keep your workflow intact. No need to upgrade your software. Just download the latest DNG converter when you get a new camera, convert all your Raw files to DNG and continue as you are.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So eveidenly what I've known and loved for years as Lightroom doesn't come with a "Lightroom" plan.  In order you get old school Lightroom you have to get the plan that comes with PhotoShop, which I don't want.  I'll try it out for a month but it looks like I need to look around for an alternative.   I can live with the subscription model, although the only reason I've ever upgraded is just to get updated RAW support when I upgrade my camera, but bundeling all the extra garbage is just annoying.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

although the only reason I've ever upgraded is just to get updated RAW support when I upgrade my camera

Have you considered converting to DNG instead? That's why Adobe created the DNG format.

You can then keep your workflow intact. No need to upgrade your software. Just download the latest DNG converter when you get a new camera, convert all your Raw files to DNG and continue as you are.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for the tip

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@John Waller, the DNG option allows you to work with an older version of LrC that does not support your Camera but does no provide you with the improvements of the up to date LrC, why use outdated software to process the image files from a bright new Camera with advanced features.

Just my thoughts. If you convert to DNG make sure you retain the original raw files in case you wish to move on in the future when your Lightroom can no longer function with new computer operating system.

Regards, Denis: iMac 27” mid-2015, macOS 11.7.10 Big Sur; 2TB SSD, 24 GB Ram, GPU 2 GB; LrC 12.5, Lr 6.5, PS 24.7,; ACR 15.5,; Camera OM-D E-M1

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@John Waller, the DNG option ... does no provide you with the improvements of the up to date LrC

Thanks @DdeGannes Yes, that's clear. DNG opens your RAW files but does not give you access to improved features in LrC.

why use outdated software to process the image files from a bright new Camera with advanced features.

Because that's what some people want to do or all they can afford. That's why the DNG format exists.

A more consumer-friendly option would be for camera manufacturers to include Save to DNG as an in-camera option. As we all know, most choose not to do so. That places the onus on consumers to update and upgrade their software.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@DdeGannes  My goal is to get the shot as close to right as I can when I take it.  I use Lightroom to caltalog, cull, crop, and ocasionalay tweak exposure/brightness.  Exactly what are you postulating I'd be missing out on by sticking with an older version + DNG?  What am I loosing by converting NEF to DNG that would warrent keeping the RAW file around?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Aug 23, 2021 Aug 23, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@NormFox, you first and foremost the ability to use your Camera Manufacturer’s software application to render the raw file, and possibly other raw processing applications.

Regards, Denis: iMac 27” mid-2015, macOS 11.7.10 Big Sur; 2TB SSD, 24 GB Ram, GPU 2 GB; LrC 12.5, Lr 6.5, PS 24.7,; ACR 15.5,; Camera OM-D E-M1

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If you want Lightroom Classic, you have to choose one of the two Photography plans that are available, that include LrC. Have a look at the table on this page:

Compare Plans - Adobe Creative Cloud Photography Plan

1A5B9558-E373-4131-A125-3628A329622A.jpeg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@NormFox

you can't "try it out for a month", as you must commit to a one-year subscription. You can cancel early and pay a financial penalty.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I cancelled the "Lightroom" subscription that doesn't include anything that looks like Lightroom to me and spent $10 to "try" the combined plan that comes with stuff I don't want and less space for backups.  Again it's beyond ridiculous that just to upgrade RAW compatibility and keep my current workflows I have to buy licenses not only for an online version that doesn't support my workflows but also PhotoShop which I have zero need for.  At this point I'm just grousing and  hoping someone else has at least built an equivalnt.  If I have to change my workflows I might as well move to a non-subscription product.  

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I cancelled the "Lightroom" subscription that doesn't include anything that looks like Lightroom to me and spent $10 to "try" the combined plan ...

I guess you didn't read what I said. You have signed up for a 1 year subscription, with financial penalties for cancelling early. There is no $10 trial.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

There were no finical penalties for cancelling the annual plan within 7 days of signing up, when I did that there was an offer to swich plans and I singed up for one month at $10.   If that's not the case I guess I'll just cancel all together.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Just make sure you cancel before the end of the 7day, or your first payment will be processed. The clock starts ticking when you sign up, not when you start using.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Problem is Adobe Marketing. This of us who subscribed at the onset, have been thru this stuoid Adobe Marketing decisions.

This is the fault of Adobe.

They decided that what new customers wanted was a cloud centric Lightroom. Where you used an Album stored on the cloud, and saved images to the cloud. Software was still installed and run from a computer.

Ok, different market. BUT, Adobe called it Lightroom.

note: I have skipped a few marketing nameing steps

Agggggggg, what happened to old tried and true Lightroom. Well Adobe says, that is now Lightroom Classic (in itty bitty small print)

Pissed us all off big time.

So, now customers come by, customers that had dug their heals in against the subscription model, but have decided to subscribe. They have been using Lightroom v6.14 for years, So tney want to subscibe to Lightroom v10.4. NOT, unknown to them, they need to subscribe to Lightroom Classic.

Ok, do not curse right now, more to follow.

Now you bring up the site to pick a plan, you see the Lightroom plan, great just Lightroom, I do not need Photoshop, NOT, wrong Lightroom, and to piss you off  more, their is no separate plan for Lightroom Classic only.

Please curse and swear now. But not at your fellow community members, we are not Adobe, and, no, not largely fans of Adobe

So, you need to subscribe to a Photography plan. Yes that will include Photoshop, no choice, but you may like to occasonally use Photoshop as an external editor (Edit in Photoshop) Some things work better in PS, such as content aware fill. As for Bridge, who cares, was free anyhow.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

From the very beginning of Lightroom in Feb 2009, Adobe insisted in associating Photoshop with Lightroom and the name of the application was Adobe Photoshop Lightroom.

The inclusion of Lightroom Classic, Lightroom Desktop and Lightroom Mobile in the Photography Plan is a no brainer for Adobe since Photoshop also comes with Bridge and Adobe Camera Raw plugin so the core features of Lightroom are already there. The money is in the Cloud and storage features.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@GoldingD my apologies if I came off as attacking fellow comunity memebers, that was not my intention.  I went looking for customer support and adobe.com lead me here.  

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That was not my impression. I did not take it as an attack against the community. No apology required but I accept it in good grace.

My assumption was as many many many, the Adobe names for  various flavors of Lightroom has caused them to buy the wrong product. You are not alone in this. My reply was targeted against Adobe.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You should be able to move your subscription to the one that includes LrC (but without the 1Tb of cloud storage) at the same price.

Contact customer service using the chat link in the "Contact Us" section of this page:

Adobe Help Center 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You can bring up adobe.com, sign in, and change your plan.

Once signed in, notice your avatar upper right, click  on that ,select view account. the screen changes. Your plan shows up, click on View Plan Details, screen changes again, click on Chang Plan.

What occurs after that, I have no idea.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, you can change your plan in your account-

CHANGE YOUR ADOBE PLAN

WobertC_0-1629671414561.png

And, yes, it is strange that the Photography Plan (20GB) contains Photoshop, but compare the plans-

Photography Plan $9.99 - (20GB) storage + Lightroom-CLASSIC + Lightroom-Desktop + Photoshop + Lightroom-Mobile, etc.

Lightroom Plan $9.99 - (1TB) storage + Lightroom-Desktop + Lightroom-Mobile.

You can have the Photography Plan and only use Lr-Classic if you wish.

Regards. My System: Lightroom-Classic 13.2 Photoshop 25.5, ACR 16.2, Lightroom 7.2, Lr-iOS 9.0.1, Bridge 14.0.2, Windows-11.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

My take,  the Photography Plan is Photoshop, LrC, Lr desktop and Mobile you are paying for Photoshop which includes Bridge and Adobe Camera Raw plugin, which already contains the bulk of the core features of Lightroom including those applications is a no brainer.

See this screen capture from Adobe website about the Adobe Photography Plan.

LrC-PhotographyPlan.png 

We all need to remember to adapt to the changing technology in all aspects of our lives. Just remember what happened to WorldCom, 

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/WorldCom_scandal

and Kodak in the recent past that paid the price of not adjusting to the times.

Software technology is replacing lots of things that depended on physical items like Camera Lenses, HDD storage devices to perform functions we need in photography. CD’s and DVD are virtually extinct. Computer OS are making more and more items and software obsolete.

Just a few thoughts.

Adjust with the times. Hopefully Adobe is able to adjust and survive.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

For the same $10/month that the OP originally Signed up for, he can have Lightroom Classic and simply not download and install Photoshop. It's there and available if he ever wants it. But he doesn't have to install it. I don't know why one wouldn't install it because once in a while it does come in handy. If the OP wants Lightroom Classic then he doesn't need 1 TB of cloud storage. Lightroom Classic doesn't use the cloud that way. Lightroom Classic stores collections of smart previews. And while LrC only has 20 GB of cloud storage included, it is impossible to utilize any of  that cloud storage with smart previews because they don't take up any of that cloud space. So my suggestion would be to subscribe to the photography plan, install Lightroom Classic and have all the features it has to offer. Install Photoshop if you like or simply ignore it. The plan isn't going to cost any more than the other one, and you will have the version of Lightroom you were looking for. What is the issue?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The issue is that 1TB of storage is at least reasonable for online backup, which along with Lightroom Classic almost makes $120 a year make sense.  $120 a year for just lightroom classic is a bridge too far, and more insulting because I don't want 75% of what comes with the package.  

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The 1 TB of cloud storage should not (CANNOT) be considered as online backup for Lightroom Classic. The only way you can utilize that 1 TB of storage is to import images utilizing Lightroom (the cloud version). There is no provision, using Lightroom Classic, to access that storage, not even for online backup. That isn't what that cloud storage is designed for. That space is for importing images directly to the cloud using Lightroom, the cloud version. Now if you use that version in conjunction with Lightroom Classic it is possible to have those images also synchronized and automatically downloaded to Lightroom Classic so that you have the full-sized images in both places. But if you are only using Lightroom Classic the cloud storage utilization is basically untouched. You can share literally countless collections of smart previews, but it will never impact the 20 GB of cloud storage that is part of the photography plan.

I'm not going to argue with you. It's just that you don't seem to understand how the plan works. Either plan is going to cost you the same amount of money. One plan just gives you Lightroom and forces you to store your images in the cloud. The other plan, same amount of money, allows you to download and use Lightroom Classic which functions with a local catalog and stores images on your computer the way you seem to be accustomed to. But you seem to be hung up because there are other programs available. Same price, you just don't have to download the ones you don't want.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines