Welcome Dialog

Welcome to the Community!

We have a brand new look! Take a tour with us and explore the latest updates on Adobe Support Community.

Lightroom constantly crashing Mac, also causing inability to browse web.

Community Beginner ,
Aug 26, 2021 Aug 26, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am on a 2019 5k, 27inch iMac with 3.6Ghz 8-Core Intel i9 with 40Mb RAM and Radeon Pro 580X 8GB Graphics Card. I'm running Big Sur 11.5.2. I'm using Lightroom 10.4.

I'm experiencing lightroom constantly freezing on a variety of actions - clicking develop module, cropping images, closing one catalogue and opening another. It's infuriating. A strange side effect when this occurs, safari also freezes and won't load web pages.

More recently I've experienced the same behaviour on Lightroom 10.3. I tried all of the following with no luck, so I downgraded to Lightroom 10, experienced absolutely no problems what so ever.

With 10.3:

Reset Lightroom and Photoshop preferences

Deselected GPU

Re-installed Lightroom and Photoshop

Ran 'clean up' software discussed in these forums

Re-installed OS-X

Nothing seemed to work until I downgraded Lightroom. With the new release of 10.4 I hope whatever issue is causing this would have been resolved, but NO, I've crashed 4 times today. I don't have a lightroom crash report as I need to hard close my Mac (via power button). If I try to close via menus my Mac hangs on exit and nothing happens. None of this occurs when I'm running version 10, and I have this issue with no other software.

I'm at my wits end with Lightroom. I feel like I've tried every solution discussed on every forum. I would love any advice anyone could offer me. In the meantime I'm downgrading to v10 once again.

I’ve attached the most recent crash report.

TOPICS
macOS

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe Community Professional ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That is definitely not normal behavior. I have a 2018 6-core i9 MBP with a radeon 560X 32 MB memory running latest Big Sur and LR 10.4 (K=i.e. pretty similar) and I've never seen anything remotely like what you describe. I would suspect a hardware issue. Safari also locking up indicates something deep in the kernel getting stuck. You should run a full hardware check on this machine. Easiest is to go to an Apple store and have them do it but you can find on the internet how to boot into hardware check mode: https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT202731

They can do a bit more at the Apple store but that is a good start. Also boot into recovery mode and use Disk Utility to check and repair your hard disk. Second try running it with every non-mouse and non-keyboard device disconnected - i.e. no external drives, no hubs, etc. Third, do you have any third party utilities installed such as for Wacom tablets, soundflower, etc? Try disabling those. 

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi there Jao vdl, I was getting kernel panic crashes, I found the software causing it SIMBL Agent, deleted all components and then was largely ok with no freezing or crashing until I upgraded to 10.4 and it's happening all over again.

I've booted up in safe mode and completed hardware diagnostics with no problems found. I found SIMBL issue in the crash logs through console app.

I had wacom, now removed, soundflower is installed, but not loading at log in - I'll try removing it and all external devices removed. Will report back!

Thanks,

Luke

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Aug 27, 2021 Aug 27, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I did some googling and for sure SIMBL agent is a cause for constant crashes. It is also associated with malware (but apparently not always necessarily so)  and not easy to remove as it installs in many different places. If you continue having issues, you might need to wipe and reinstall the operating system.

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Where is the catalog located?

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi GoldingD, I have one catalogue on an SSD external drive connected directly to my USB port, I have another on a regular external HD connected via an unpowered hub. I've just tried to open Bridge and it has the same behaviour, except it hangs on open.

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Bridge hanging is a very bad sign of something being fundamentally wrong. Are the SSD and the external hard disk at least formatted as APFS or HFS extended? Does bridge crash if you disconnect the external disks?

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Try logging into another account (you may need to make one), still crashing? 
Try starting up in Safe mode (hold down Shift Key when booting), still crashing? 
You might want to try running a free utility like Onyx: still crashing? 
https://www.titanium-software.fr/en/onyx.html
Also view:
https://www.macworld.com/article/352902/onyx-review-macos.html
https://www.macworld.com/article/224955/how-to-reset-a-macs-nvram-pram-and-smc.html

Author “Color Management for Photographers" & "Photoshop CC Color Management"

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi there thedigitaldog, I have run onyx when trying to fix the issue experienced operating lightroom 10.3, it didn't provide a cure, downgrading to 10.0 did. Then 10.4 upgrade caused problems to resurface!

Will try RAM resets and report back.

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I too have experienced this horrible user experience of Lightroom Classic 10.4 (also started after updating beyond version 10) both on my iMac 21.5 2019 w/first Catalina then worse w/ Mac OS  Big Sur,  ironically my older Macpro 15 Mid 2012 still running Catalina was only slightly less annoying but still also problematic with this updated version 10.4. After hours upon hours of  spinning beachball  frozen apps, forced quitting,  lightroom, mail, safari and even finder not was not always responding. Also tried much of the shared tips, to no avail. Finally just used adobe cloud to uninstall and reinstall Lightroom Classic version 10,  on my MacPro Mid 2012 running Catlina and is much peppier, all around for now anyway. Meanwhile I'm also having my iMac fully serviced diagnosed just in case, if there are other issues w/my hardware or Mac OS too. Next I'm going to re set all my preferences from here on for better performance and might even upgrade my RAM on all machines too.  Best of luck!

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Hilary, thanks for that, I know I'm not alone! I don't know what has been introduced post 10.0 but it's really really really incredibly frustrating for me. No issues with anything else bar Adobe programmes.

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Please post your System Information as Lightroom Classic (LrC) reports it. In LrC click on Help, then System Info, then Copy. Paste that information into a reply. Please present all information from first line down to and including Plug-in Info. Info after Plug-in info can be cut as that is just so much dead space to us non-Techs.

interested in those plugins

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Aug 30, 2021 Aug 30, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi GoldingD, here's the system info with plug in details... can you see anything there that may be suspect?

Lightroom Classic version: 10.4 [ 202108071231-af9219b9 ]
License: Creative Cloud
Language setting: en-AU
Operating system: Mac OS 11
Version: 11.5.2 [20G95]
Application architecture: x64
Logical processor count: 16
Processor speed: 3.6GHz
SqLite Version: 3.34.0
Built-in memory: 40,960.0 MB
Real memory available to Lightroom: 40,960.0 MB
Real memory used by Lightroom: 2,651.0 MB (6.4%)
Virtual memory used by Lightroom: 12,097.6 MB
Memory cache size: 173.3MB
Internal Camera Raw version: 13.4 [ 872 ]
Maximum thread count used by Camera Raw: 5
Camera Raw SIMD optimization: SSE2,AVX,AVX2
Camera Raw virtual memory: 236MB / 20479MB (1%)
Camera Raw real memory: 239MB / 40960MB (0%)
Displays: 1) 5120x2880

Graphics Processor Info:
Metal: AMD Radeon Pro 580X

Application folder: /Applications/Adobe Lightroom Classic
Library Path: /Volumes/Samsung_T5/Lightroom 2021/LR 2021/LR 2021.lrcat
Settings Folder: /Users/nevyn/Library/Application Support/Adobe/Lightroom

Installed Plugins:
1) AdobeStock
2) Aperture/iPhoto Importer Plug-in
3) Export to Photomatix Pro
4) Facebook
5) Flickr
6) Fotomerchant
7) HDR Efex Pro 2
8) Luminar 4
9) Nikon Tether Plugin
10) picWorkflow Export
11) YouPic

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Aug 30, 2021 Aug 30, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Nope, nothing  odd, you might try disabling the odd non Adobe plugins, 3, 5,  6, 10, 11 (I have no idea if they are problamatic)

by the  way does 5 even work anymore?

I have 7, 8, not a problem

4 probably useless, but not a problem

2, only needed in theory for converting old Apple stuff, not the problem

1, and 9, standard comes with all LrC by default, odly upu need 9 to teather Canon as well as Nikon recently.

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines