• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Lightroom Crash and Lockout - Already in Use???

Contributor ,
Jun 04, 2021 Jun 04, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Since June 3rd or 4th, 2021, I've been getting an error message when photo editing in Lightroom Classic. It usually happens if I click in a command without waiting for the previous command to finish up.  Lightroom crashes and Microsoft sends the message:  VIDEO_DXGKRNL_FATAL_ERROR, before shutting off my pc..This issue started only after Lightroom was adjusted or updated overnight with tutorials added.  My previous settings had been erased.  I was not having problems until the June changes.  Restarting my pc would allow me to reopen Lightroom and continue working, but another problem has come up - the message that Lightroom cannot be opened because the catalog is already in use.  The VIDEO_DXGKRNL_FATAL_ERROR can be due to a number of causes but it coincides with the recent Lightroom update.  Is there any way for Adobe to correct for the bugs in that update?  At present, I can no longer access Lightroom Classic.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Follow-up on problems:  A post from several years ago, helped out on the "catalog already in use" problem.  Searching my pc for lightroom files with a .lock ending and deleting the most recent, ermitted the start up of my Lightroom Classic.

The other issue, that originally caused the crash, remains open.  My pc may require newer drivers or I simply may need a new pc.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It would be a good idea for you to delete all lock files. If LrC shuts down properly there should never be a lock file  left behind. What operating system are you using, and how much RAM does your computer have?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,
Jun 05, 2021 Jun 05, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm using Windows 10 with 16 GB RAM.  My pc is about six years old, so it is approaching the end of its life span. After deleting my .lock files, I also got a notice from Adobe that said my Creative Cloud was corrupt and offering repair.  I did so.  So far, no further crashes.  Time will tell.  

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Update of June 5th, 2021.  The repair of Creative Cloud seemed to work out, but the Blue Screen of Death reappeared; this time with DRIVER_IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL  No lockout happened; but, when using Lightroom Classic, and its brush, no pin marker appeared.  It may be that the early June update of Lightroom was too much for my graphics card or driver.  Continuing to explore.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Please post your System Information as Lightroom Classic (LrC) reports it. In LrC click on Help, then System Info, then Copy. Paste that information into a reply. Please present all information from first line down to and including Plug-in Info. Info after Plug-in info can be cut as that is just so much dead space to us non-Techs.

GoldingD_0-1622950043122.jpeg

GoldingD_1-1622950043124.png

GoldingD_2-1622950043125.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

VIDEO_DXGKRNL_FATAL_ERROR

from: https://appuals.com/how-to-fix-video_dxgkrnl_fatal_error-0x00000113-on-windows-10/

Typically, this error occurs whenever there’s a corrupt driver that interferes with the normal functionality of the GPU.

Got that info by googling  VIDEO_DXGKRNL_FATAL_ERROR

So, what GPU? (my previous request will show that, in fact the main reason for the sys info request)

also see: https://windows101tricks.com/fix-video-dxgkrnl-fatal-error-windows-10/

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,
Jun 06, 2021 Jun 06, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks.  Here is the system info:

Lightroom Classic version: 10.2 [ 202103041821-226a1211 ]
License: Creative Cloud
Language setting: en
Operating system: Windows 10 - Business Edition
Version: 10.0.19041
Application architecture: x64
System architecture: x64
Logical processor count: 8
Processor speed: 3.0 GHz
SqLite Version: 3.34.0
Built-in memory: 16270.9 MB
Real memory available to Lightroom: 16270.9 MB
Real memory used by Lightroom: 1954.1 MB (12.0%)
Virtual memory used by Lightroom: 2012.3 MB
GDI objects count: 786
USER objects count: 2996
Process handles count: 1779
Memory cache size: 263.4MB
Internal Camera Raw version: 13.2 [ 738 ]
Maximum thread count used by Camera Raw: 5
Camera Raw SIMD optimization: SSE2,AVX
Camera Raw virtual memory: 398MB / 8135MB (4%)
Camera Raw real memory: 399MB / 16270MB (2%)
System DPI setting: 96 DPI
Desktop composition enabled: Yes
Displays: 1) 2560x1440
Input types: Multitouch: Yes, Integrated touch: Yes, Integrated pen: No, External touch: No, External pen: No, Keyboard: No

Graphics Processor Info:
DirectX: NVIDIA GeForce GT 640M (21.21.13.6909)

Application folder: C:\Program Files\Adobe\Adobe Lightroom Classic
Library Path: C:\Users\JohnJ\Pictures\Lightroom\Lightroom Catalog-2-2-v10.lrcat
Settings Folder: C:\Users\JohnJ\AppData\Roaming\Adobe\Lightroom

Installed Plugins:
1) AdobeStock
2) Facebook
3) Flickr
4) Luminar 4
5) Luminar AI
6) Nikon Tether Plugin

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I did attempt to update the driver, but got a message that my driver is the most up to date.  I will wait to see if there are any more crashes.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

>>I did attempt to update the driver, but got a message that my driver is the most up to date...

In this case I would try a former version of the driver. Sometimes the latest versions are buggy.

What has been changed on your system before the error occur?

My System: Intel i7-8700K - 64GB RAM - NVidia Geforce RTX 3060 - Windows 10 Pro 22H2 -- LR-Classic 13.2 - Photoshop 25.5 - Nik Collection 6.8 - Topaz Photo AI 2

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The only change I noticed was an update by Adobe Lightroom that added tuorial aides to Lightroom.  Unfortunately, this also erased settings that I had previously made on various controls - for example, the pin marker when using the brush control.  I had it set for always, the update removed this.  Also, preset demos normally would appear when passing the cursor over each.  That was changed as well.  While trying to photo edit and re-personalize my Lightroom, the first of numerous crashes occurred.  Lightroom seemed sluggish and much more likely to crash with the Blue Screen of Death if it had been left on with no ongoing activity, and then activity resumed later. Going back to a prior Driver that worked ok is a good idea, but the existing driver has been present since August 2020 with no problem until June 2021.  Also, I see no command to revert to an older Driver.  Uninstalling and then re-installing might be another way, but I'm no techie so I'm reluctant to get in over my head.  There's been no crash today that I know of, although the pc seemed to have gone through a restart overnight.  Thanks for the ideas.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Graphics Processor Info:
DirectX: NVIDIA GeForce GT 640M (21.21.13.6909)

So v369.09. That is not the current version. From 

https://www.nvidia.com/Download/driverResults.aspx/145874/en-us

that would be v425.31. Mind you fairly old (4/11/2019) on that very old GPU

You should have a NVIDIA utility called GeForce Experience. Use that to update the driver (make sure GeForce Experience is not out of date)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,
Jun 07, 2021 Jun 07, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for the info on the Driver v425.31 and the GPU.  No crashes in 24 hours.  Have found that resuming Lightroom activity, having left it running without use, seems to cause an "overload" - then a freeze - then a crash.  Closing Lightroom between uses appears to avoid the problem.  From your info, it seems appropriate to move on to a new pc.  Thanks again.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Displays: 1) 2560x1440

so, not 4K, and an old GPU. If you have the use GPU option enabled, disable that, sub 4K it is not of much help, and a GPU that old (800 series and old have this issue) very buggy when enabled sub 4K, can actually make things worse.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Just for the record: blue screens are never a user's program (like Lr) issue, but always OS related: either Windows itself or what is mostly probable a buggy driver. Even if Lr does something wrong, it's the task of the OS to catch that and to send back an error. So, the solution is to investigate drivers (in this case the screen driver) and to hope that the driver supplier gets this sorted out.

ABAMBO | Hard- and Software Engineer | Photographer

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Thank you.  I did get another crash that was unrelated to Lightroom activity.  Lightroom was closed and not in use.  

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines